NA - If I'm in an Uber and I open a beer.

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Is the driver getting arrested for having an open container?

I'm in an Uber on the way to a shindig and got to wondering.

Would seem unfair to penalize the driver.

Think it depends on the state. In some, for sure any open container is illegal. Rationale being the driver could just pass it to a passenger. Given Texas has drive through beer sales, maybe not so much there.

From the interweb - I didn't fact check this but googled "open container law texas"

"In Texas, there are limited circumstances where alcohol may legally be consumed in a vehicle.

• Can you drink in an Uber in Texas?It is legal to drink in an Uber, Lyft, taxi, or other motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation.

In Texas, there are limited circumstances where alcohol may legally be consumed in a vehicle.

• Can you drink in an Uber in Texas? It is legal to drink in an Uber, Lyft, taxi, or other motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation.

FK, TWO people beat me to it. DRINK UP 6er!**

**also, this is not legal advice

Rearrange the sentence so it’s an NA beer, and you’re good to go even if you’re not in Texas.

By now the POA medical staff has already reported your alcohol dependency to OKC....

Last edited:
In Texas, there are limited circumstances where alcohol may legally be consumed in a vehicle.

• Can you drink in an Uber in Texas? It is legal to drink in an Uber, Lyft, taxi, or other motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation.
What if you pass out and wake up in Oklahoma?

Think it depends on the state. In some, for sure any open container is illegal. Rationale being the driver could just pass it to a passenger. Given Texas has drive through beer sales, maybe not so much there.
It is true that in Texas for a long time, the law was merely that the driver could not be holding an open container. But that changed maybe 30 years ago.

It is true that in Texas for a long time, the law was merely that the driver could not be holding an open container. But that changed maybe 30 years ago.
The law was it was legal to drink alcoholic beverages while driving, but illegal to drive while above the legal BAL. There was no prohibition of open containers. Odd, but accurate.

It was overturned at the same time when federal law mandated a minimum .10 determination of intoxication for all states.

Back when I was a kid, getting pulled over for drinkin' and drivin' in Texas usually ended up in the offending driver getting a ride home from the police officer.

As a teenager I was once told by a police officer to ''Go home and stay there, don't let me see you out again tonight.!!'' I did just that.

Thankfully mothers against damn drunks (or something like that) put a stop to that...

The law was it was legal to drink alcoholic beverages while driving, but illegal to drive while above the legal BAL. There was no prohibition of open containers. Odd, but accurate.
I believe that was true until around '92 or '93.
It was overturned at the same time when federal law mandated a minimum .10 determination of intoxication for all states.
The no open containers, period, was, I believe, around 2001. The presumptive BAC was lowered to .08 just a few years earlier.

it was a non-alcoholic beer anyways, as designated by the NA in the thread title

What cirrus drivers drink when they’re not drinking Zima.
THem are fighting words...:D:D:biggrin::biggrin:
I always liked zima with a jollyrancher thrown in.

At least i'm not drinking Boones strawberry farm like those Mooney drivers

Back