[N/A] What's your blood type and how is your relationship with Mosquitos?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Several weeks ago, I am at the hangar talking to a friend and after about 10 minutes I am dying. Mosquitos are eating me alive.
I tell my friend "Dude, I gotta bail these mosquitos are horrible" He says "You must have Type-O blood."

I do in fact have O+

Last night my wife and I are at a restaurant and the waiter is holding a napkin on his arm and says "BRB need a band-aid the mosquitos... She asks "Do you have type O blood?" He says "yes, why?"

Is there any truth to this. My wife NEVER gets bit. and I am covered in them. I live on one of those areas where they drive around and spray for them because they are rampant. but I cannot go outside for even a couple minutes or I get swarmed. Are you other "Type-O's" also guaranteed mosquito food when you venture outdoors?

Having B-positive blood does not seem to confer any mosquito immunity on me whatsoever! :(
Then my 2 person experiment was not a large enough sample size.

Chat GPT has Type-O and drinks beer I think:

Some say that mosquitoes are more likely to bite people with type O blood who drink beer. According to MosquitoNix, mosquitoes are most attracted to type O blood, followed by type B, and least attracted to type A.
A 2019 study also found that mosquitoes preferred people with type O blood over other blood types.
However, other research suggests that the science is contradictory and that blood type may not be the main factor that attracts mosquitoes.
Instead, some say that skin odors and microbiota may be more important.

My guess....you were slightly downwind and the mosquitoes were attracted to the CO2/body heat/body odor both of you were emitting. Your friend was probably slightly upwind.

The blood type thing is hacky pseudoscience.

Last edited:
Having B-positive blood does not seem to confer any mosquito immunity on me whatsoever! :(
See, I've heard the O theory before and anecdotally believed it - because I have B+ and mosquitos generally ignore me, much to my wife and daughter's peril.

Start over with your POA survey with peoples diet preferences. I use to be a mosquito magnet until I adapted Hot Spicy food choices.

A friend and I went out fishing in an Alaska stream and the cloud of little vampires ate me up. I figured I'd just let them eat me until they didn't like me anymore. Felt like a pin cushion. It didn't work :sigh:. My friend didn't have two mosquito bites all day. He told me to eat more pepper, garlic, onions, hot sauces and everything else that vampires are known to not like.

About two weeks later we went out fly fishing and catching trout like crazy. I'm not sure If I even got a single bite. Blood suckers just don't like Hot and Spicy :mad3: .

Tabasco +, don’t get bit a lot.

However, I rarely eat Mexican more than 3 times a day…

People ask me if I put the stuff on EVERYTHING? I used to say everything but those things that go well with pancake syrup… but then I started finding spicy pancake syrup, so I guess yes. I literally put it on EVERYTHING.

My gastro intestinal system hates me…

But I don’t get bit by mosquitoes very much.

I always thought they like "sweet blood". I always got bitten like crazy. Since January, I reduced my sugar intake by like 90%, no sweets, no sugary drinks, etc. and this year, maybe 2 bites all summer so far. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I like this theory and it's one more incentive to keep up this low sugar diet.

Start over with your POA survey with peoples diet preferences. I use to be a mosquito magnet until I adapted Hot Spicy food choices.

A friend and I went out fishing in an Alaska stream and the cloud of little vampires ate me up. I figured I'd just let them eat me until they didn't like me anymore. Felt like a pin cushion. It didn't work :sigh:. My friend didn't have two mosquito bites all day. He told me to eat more pepper, garlic, onions, hot sauces and everything else that vampires are known to not like.

About two weeks later we went out fly fishing and catching trout like crazy. I'm not sure If I even got a single bite. Blood suckers just don't like Hot and Spicy :mad3: .
Loosiana skeeters like the hot stuff….

A+ and they used to love me. Since I moved to Arizona 35 years ago I don’t get bit. We have very few mosquitoes here.

How do people remember their blood type? I got surgery 10 years ago and knew it then but now, not so much. I’m positive I have blood. That’s about it. Also, I drink beer and mosquitos love me.

See, I've heard the O theory before and anecdotally believed it - because I have B+ and mosquitos generally ignore me, much to my wife and daughter's peril.
If a meaningful correlation is going to be proven, it's likely to take a lot more data-gathering than we're able to accomplish here, and the data is going to have to be normalized for the prevalence of each blood type.

How do people remember their blood type? I got surgery 10 years ago and knew it then but now, not so much. I’m positive I have blood. That’s about it. Also, I drink beer and mosquitos love me.
It's not that I have such a great memory, but I didn't find out my blood type until four months ago.

I just don't go outside at night. I dip myself in 100% DEET for the night airshows.
If you give blood they'll tell you. I haven't done it for a couple years, but I still refer to the card when I need to know my blood type. Which is never.

7th grade science class. We typed our blood as an in-class project and then discussed compatibilities, etc.

That was in the 80's, I'm sure they don't do that now.

Besides, "Be Positive" is pretty easy to remember.

Had to look it up on my driver's license.
A positive.

A wet summer, wooded area, and a pond in the backyard....the mosquitoes are wretched. Mom is O negative, she wore the bee suit when a tree branch took out the goat fence.

I don't know what type of blood I have? But I do keep a can of spray in the plane and in the hangar that I use every night I am at the hangar. Without the spray I would probably be dead by now.

Eren donates blood religiously and I never do and she's always nagging me telling me and I'm the universal donor or something always reminding me.

So I looked. A+. You'd think I'd be able to remember that :rolleyes:

Eren donates blood religiously and I never do and she's always nagging me telling me and I'm the universal donor or something always reminding me.
Back in the 60's and 70's I donated a couple of gallons over the years as a universal donor. One day I got a letter from the Red Cross telling me I had Hepatitis. Checked with my Doc and he said no way after a test and a second one as well. Sent that to the Red Cross and they said I have Hepatitis and we don't care what anybody else says. I offer to donate whenever they say there's a shortage. Always rejected because of a false positive 50 years ago and countless negative blood tests over the years for one thing or another.

Back in the 60's and 70's I donated a couple of gallons over the years as a universal donor. One day I got a letter from the Red Cross telling me I had Hepatitis. Checked with my Doc and he said no way after a test and a second one as well. Sent that to the Red Cross and they said I have Hepatitis and we don't care what anybody else says. I offer to donate whenever they say there's a shortage. Always rejected because of a false positive 50 years ago and countless negative blood tests over the years for one thing or another.
Wow That must have a worry at first?

Last edited:
A+, and mosquitos love me long time.
A+ here, too. As a child and young man, I was eaten alive. Gradually, between ages 40 - 50, they lost their taste for me. Not completely, but I was no longer their preferred meal.

-Skip

Sheeeeyit, I drank out of the same bottle as you at rr, do I need to be worried? :)

A+ but it's more about diet, than blood type.

If you don't feel like changing your diet or taking a DEET bath like Jim, Bounce dryer sheets stuffed in a hat or sleeves keeps them and other bities at bay.

Get a tattoo.

Lawyers. Liability.

I am A+ and they usually love me. There is a swamp behind our property. Last year we hired the Mosquito Squad to treat our property, and it made an amazing difference. We renewed this year. They spray six times a summer, and we rarely see a mosquito, in spite of the swamp nearby.

Screw the red cross. All they do is take your blood donation and sell it to whoever needs it. Go straight to a hospital

Back