Medical Denied, Need advise

I don’t think many outside this forum who would agree a >90% approval rate for medical certificates applications is draconian.

This site hears from the most severe cases and it gives the false impression is there is a high percentage that don’t qualify - there isn’t.
90% of med certificates are issued at the Dr. office by the AME. So 10% is a small amount of the overall applications needing more scrutiny. I’ve read that 90-97% of those deferred ultimately get SI and only .1% of deferrals for mental health are denied…why does this take 12-18 months to come to this conclusion?

Peace Bro.

Now a bit of ettiquette:

And per the advice of George (Baord Admin), how about giving this string back to dannyk11135.
@UTLonghorn_1979, a reminder that this thread is for @Sunvox. The meta-commentary is interesting and relevant, but belongs in its own thread.

You know in this part of the board, we actually try to help people but you keep taking over.
Starting your own string would be more appropraite, rather than co-opting strings at every opportunity.
Fair enough.

Seems many on this forum that don't find themselves on my end (deferral/decline 18 month waiting time to get decline decision - reconsideration after more evaluations, reports, $ and another 12-18 months waiting) don't think there's an issue with the FAA. Many of the responses to my raised issues on this forum are "you shouldn't be up in the air...," " you have a problem with authority...," or "it's their sandbox, you have to play by their rules." I'm playing by their rules, the issue is many don't and they are still flying while pilots that are honest with their situation are grounded.
It's possible to believe that the FAA is sometimes heavy handed and also that some pilots who shouldn't be flying.

Bob, you’re….blind (no offense). I get called at 7:30 pm from the officers who are working their mandatory voluntary OT at their base rate.
Actually, at the GS rate schedule that the doctors are likely on, they are getting paid less than their straight-time hourly rate.

Other than the Jacoby incident, which I'm still not clear on what actually caused the accident (failed instruments in hard IFR or headache medication), your points are geared towards commercial ATP concerns. Valid. However, to treat the recreational, sports pilots, private pilot in the same manner as the commercial ATP doesn't make any sense....
Sport pilots are not affected by the FAA's medical bureaucracy.

If a single seizure event occurred the ages between three months and 5 years, no evlauation is required. However you'll have to get effective testimony that this is the case, and unless you still ive at home AND your mom has medical training, that means a NEUROLOGIST.

But it sounds like there was seomthing more recent. then the crieria is: If single seizure, unprovoked and no treatalbe medical explanation, you need 4 years, the last 2 years off all meds, and at the end of whcih is the complete neuro. evaluation.

If you've had two, and really have epilesy, therefore, the period is 10 years serizure free of medication for at least the last 3 years.

Sounds like you may have been outside of those bounds ? All your docs saying "fit to fly", I'll bet have zero idea of the aviation standard above so the FAA it sounds like self-discrediting doctors.
When they say fit to fly, they mean I run no increased risk compared to the general population of having another episode.

Sport pilots are not affected by the FAA's medical bureaucracy.
Not true, if you are declined a class 3, you can no longer apply/operate under sports pilot either. That is until you go through the FAA's medical bureaucreacy to prove you're safe to do so and get issued at least a class 3.

It's possible to believe that the FAA is sometimes heavy handed and also that some pilots who shouldn't be flying.
True. And many of those that should not be flying are flying under unrestricted class 3 medicals. The fact that every pilot I know, including CFI/CFII's, has a list of pilots they will never fly with is scary.

True. And many of those that should not be flying are flying under unrestricted class 3 medicals. The fact that every pilot I know, including CFI/CFII's, has a list of pilots they will never fly with is scary.
Won’t fly with them because of an undisclosed medical condition that they (every pilot you know) areaware of?

Won’t fly with them because of an undisclosed medical condition that they (every pilot you know) areaware of?
Because they are inept, and unsafe pilots. Yet by the FAA's medical standards, A-ok. I'm sure you have your own list. I flew with a CFII while working on my IFR on one occasion as my standard instructor was sick, I would not fly with that particular CFII again. This was before another student told me that same CFII told him "don't report any medications to the FAA when you apply for your medical."

Per post #43. I'm ending non-pertinent posts of my own.

If 90% of medicals are being approved on the spot, 80% of students fail to complete pilot training and more than 1/2 of those who complete training quit flying in less than 12 months, why are some so upset about the processing time for SIs or denied medicals for students?

Do students with mental health history have higher completion and retention rates? At best, <2% of would be pilots are being denied and <1% are being keep out of the general pilot population.

Last edited:
Because they are inept, and unsafe pilots. Yet by the FAA's medical standards, A-ok.
Inept and medically unfit are often unrelated characteristics. Someone can be perfectly medically sound and not be a competent pilot...and vice versa.

I'm not sure I follow the "culture and attitudes" comment,
Browse through a few DUI threads here and you will find plenty of those who share the FAA's zero tolerance attitudes and treat getting a DUI as a moral failure, with whatever happens to you afterward as well-deserved. This is a cultural attitude which did not exist until the mid-1980s. In fact, the attitude toward DUI was quite the opposite. Penalties were low if prosecutors could even get a conviction. Something that could happen to any of us - "there but for the grace of god go I." (Yes, there were aviation-related programs, but most were focused on the airlines)

Browse through a few DUI threads here and you will find plenty of those who share the FAA's zero tolerance attitudes and treat getting a DUI as a moral failure, with whatever happens to you afterward as well-deserved. This is a cultural attitude which did not exist until the mid-1980s. In fact, the attitude toward DUI was quite the opposite. Penalties were low if prosecutors could even get a conviction. Something that could happen to any of us - "there but for the grace of god go I." (Yes, there were aviation-related programs, but most were focused on the airlines)
It has never been easier to get sober people to pick you up and give you a ride home if you have been drinking, On the local level, 1st time DUI diversion is making a come back now that MAD is not longer as politically active as they once were. It varies a lot between court venues.

My opinion on pilot tolerance is a bit mixed. People complain about HIMS, but honestly if you have a pilot’s certificate and get convicted with a BAC of more than 0.15. (which is quite drunk), refused a test or had a 2nd conviction, what is your complaint? It’s not like you don’t know the FAAs position.

The folks who never held a pilots certificate and did some dumb stuff have more of a valid grip, but 2 DUIs is a bit inexcusable in my view.

It has never been easier to get sober people to pick you up and give you a ride home if you have been drinking, On the local level, 1st time DUI diversion is making a come back now that MAD is not longer as politically active as they once were. It varies a lot between court venues.

My opinion on pilot tolerance is a bit mixed. People complain about HIMS, but honestly if you have a pilot’s certificate and get convicted with a BAC of more than 0.15. (which is quite drunk), refused a test or had a 2nd conviction, what is your complaint? It’s not like you don’t know the FAAs position.

The folks who never held a pilots certificate and did some dumb stuff have more of a valid grip, but 2 DUIs is a bit inexcusable in my view.
woman who founded mad became lobbyist

Not true, if you are declined a class 3, you can no longer apply/operate under sports pilot either. That is until you go through the FAA's medical bureaucreacy to prove you're safe to do so and get issued at least a class 3.

If the sport pilot previously was denied a medical certificate, then yes, they had to submit themselves to to the FAA's medical bureaucracy prior to solo. What I was referring to is the fact that once the person became a sport pilot, no further involvement with the FAA bureacracy is required in order to continue exercising sport-pilot privileges (unless they have an SI that is associated with an unexpired medical certificate).

Last edited:
Because they are inept, and unsafe pilots. Yet by the FAA's medical standards, A-ok. I'm sure you have your own list. I flew with a CFII while working on my IFR on one occasion as my standard instructor was sick, I would not fly with that particular CFII again. This was before another student told me that same CFII told him "don't report any medications to the FAA when you apply for your medical."

Per post #43. I'm ending non-pertinent posts of my own.
I’m actually very fortunate to be among a group of pilots who are very safety minded. The only pilot I really know (knew) that I wouldn’t fly with was tangentially related to our group. He was reckless and my instructor thought his instructor was a moron. This is how he removed himself from the pilot population:

I’m actually very fortunate to be among a group of pilots who are very safety minded. The only pilot I really know (knew) that I wouldn’t fly with was tangentially related to our group. He was reckless and my instructor thought his instructor was a moron. This is how he removed himself from the pilot population:

Always sad to read about accidents, but always something to learn from them as well. At first blush, no way I'd fly into that strip with any passengers/that load-out. No idea why the pilot didn't heed the owner's advice to get another 200 ft of runway, and doesn't look like the pilot used a short field, or soft field technique.

Check out "Pilot Debrief" channel on Youtube if you haven't already.

That "something that could happen to any of us ..." is the sixties mentality.

Back