Lets make Friday 'Joke Day'!

They didn’t include my favorite.

Pitch was dead center, couldn’t have been more in the middle of the strike zone. The batter took the pitch and it was called a ball. The catcher started to throw back to the pitcher, realized it hadn’t been called a strike, and stopped his throw. He then, very slowly, turned around and looked up.

They didn’t include my favorite.

Pitch was dead center, couldn’t have been more in the middle of the strike zone. The batter took the pitch and it was called a ball. The catcher started to throw back to the pitcher, realized it hadn’t been called a strike, and stopped his throw. He then, very slowly, turned around and looked up.
Dude should have been fired several seasons ago. He grades out terribly among MLB umps, but the union makes it almost impossible to get them out.

Dude should have been fired several seasons ago. He grades out terribly among MLB umps, but the union makes it almost impossible to get them out.
It’s unfortunate that even good umpires can become stained by a single, high profile, missed call. But players and managers understand that and do still respect those umps. Even an umpire that calls balls and strikes that don’t line up with the electronic strike zone are ok, as long as they are consistent and call it the same way every time.

Then there are the umpires that not only miss calls on a regular basis, they aren’t consistent about it. That’s frustrating to both teams when they don’t know what to expect from pitch to pitch.

I saw one article that says he wasn't the worst, but consistently grades below average. But the article also said that he made some truly horrible calls.

I suppose the MLB replay rules are in place due in large part to that guy

I saw one article that says he wasn't the worst, but consistently grades below average. But the article also said that he made some truly horrible calls.

Yup. I can understand missing calls, or being known for a particular style of calling balls/strikes if you're consistent about it. However, consistently grading out low among your peers year after year means you are putting your mark on the ballgame, which is the opposite of what an umpire should do.

Yup. I can understand missing calls, or being known for a particular style of calling balls/strikes if you're consistent about it. However, consistently grading out low among your peers year after year means you are putting your mark on the ballgame, which is the opposite of what an umpire should do.
Don't forget when he had Steve McMichael ejected from the stadium.

I'm just happy to hear about a guy making a lot of money being wrong most of the time that isn't in politics or broadcast media. It's sadly heartwarming.

Pitch calls are NOT reviewable by MLB rules.

Long, long time baseball fan here. I was for the replay, but against most of the more recent rules changes. I've changed my mind on the pitch clock and now think it has been a positive change. Still not sure about the extra innings designated runner on second. Seems like pandering to the attention deficient. But then, thank God, I wasn't at any of these games:

Or more recently and closer to home, this one:

Consistency versus humanity. I'm looking forward to seeing how Hawk-Eye (or TrackMan) works during the test season, and how it is received by fans.

Long, long time baseball fan here.

I was a fan many years ago, but they lost me with the strike in the mid '90s and I never went back to it.

Watching the majors was fun, but I especially enjoyed going to the minor league games. Orlando had a minor league team back then, and for just a few bucks you could watch a good game on a summer evening, dog and beer in hand, see some up and coming players, and not have to deal with massive crowds and traffic jams. And of course there was spring training here in central Florida, which also was a lot of fun.

But when those prima donas went on strike and killed the entire season, showing no regard whatsoever for the fans who paid the bills, I bailed. And I've never gotten back into it.

Last edited:
The pitchers clock, limited throws to first base, and extra innings man on second base are all good in my view.

My bias is from a more than 70 years ago to a major league pre season game that went 11 innings without a hit or walked in run. At 5 innings I was bored and butt sore, at 10 innings, the stream of fans departing was more exciting than the game, and the bottom of the 11th, a walked runner scored on a missed fly.

For me, pitchers duels are terrible games, a really good game has more runs than innings. That old game with 11 innings would have been exciting if it had 15 runs. Watching players dive to beat the throw from the field, or hold on 3rd until the high fly is caught, then dashing for home, that will get me standing and circulation back in my butt every time. That old game had over 190 strikes thrown, plus probably another 100 balls, before there was a hit. Nothing to jump up and shout about.

Not a fan of the automatic runner on 2nd. I’ve gotten used to the pitch clock and limited mound visits. Not a fan of the limits on throws to a base to hold a runner - it changes the game too much. Ricky Henderson would might have stolen twice as many bases if he didn’t have to worry about a throw to first.

I’m not a fan of instant replay except, maybe at first base. Or, only allow the review at normal speed. The cameras can stop a single frame from an angle the umpire doesn’t have, and that changes the call. It changes a stolen base call, too. Used to be if you beat the throw you were safe. Now, if you beat the throw, and your hands slide over the bag and there’s a fraction of a second before your chest hits the bag, and the infielder holds the tag, there’s a very real possibility the review will call the runner out. Since the beginning of the game that’s always been a safe call.

Now the bases are larger so there’s a slight difference in the distance between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd.

The longest game I remember was an Orioles/Royals game back in ‘85 or so. Even Cal Ripken couldn’t save that game. That was a low scoring game, and not because of a pitcher’s duel. It was just dull. Walks, batters that just couldn’t hit anything, lots of pitching changes, and it was brutally hot. I think it went extra innings, too. It was a terrible game to watch. The other thing was, it was game 1 of a double header. My buddy and I were baseballed out after that game and headed to the car. We just got in when the rain started. Game 2 started almost 4 hrs late. Fans weren’t allowed to leave and come back in. By the time game 2 ended, around 1am and about 12 hrs after game 1 started, I think there were only a few hundred people left in the stands.

A real pitcher’s duel can be fun to watch, since the potential winning run is at the plate every at bat. The defense knows this and those outfielders will really lay themselves out. Same with the infielders, there will be some outstanding double plays.

yup - know that. But good ol' Angel didn't just completely screw up balls/strikes calls.
I forgot that he sued MLB for racial discrimination for being passed over for World Series assignments. MLB said, “it isn’t racial, he just isn’t good.” The judge agreed with MLB. He appealed and the next judge also sided with MLB.

Back