Leaning during climb

This a concern I have with my plane. The straight tailed Lance is overcooled. Not unusual to see my CHTs stay under 300 in a max power climb on a cool day, but you know the cylinder pressure is very high. If I ran my engine based on CHT, I'd fly everywhere at max power and leaned to peak EGT. I suspect my valves wouldn't be too happy though.
Same was true with my Lance, and also with my Nanchang. At least with the Nanchang, I can close the gills and warm the cylinders up.

Somebody should alert Lycoming! :hairraise:

I'm sure they have been told, this info has been out there for probably decades now.

The people at GAMI know a thing or two about this and here is what they say about cylinder longevity:

Gami engine operating instructions.png

Turbo and non-Turbo are different. Turbo is everything forward for the climb.
Not on my engines (TCM TSIO520NB). Everything forward (takeoff power) is 41", 2700 rpm and 38 gph. I'd run out of gas before I reached cruise altitude. Per the book cruise climb is 35" 2500rpm and 28gph. At around 130ktas this also conveniently gives me max CHTs of 380. I believe a lot of turbos need to be run in a similar manner in climb; definitely not wide open.

... I also keep climb speed at around 90 to help with cooling.
Good idea. Airflow provides even more effective cooling than rich mixtures. That should be no surprise, as these are air cooled engines. Climbing at Vy or slower, compared to level cruise, there is less air passing through the cowl and the angle at which it hits the cowl is not optimal. If terrain & other conditions permit, lower the nose and climb at a higher airspeed. In my O-360 powered 172, a typical climb from sea level to cruise altitude, say 10,000', is:
1. Take off full rich full power and climb at 95-100 kts IAS (faster than Vy which is 75).
2. Passing through 3000', lean the mixture to peak power (noticeable RPM/power increase) and enrich a few turns to stay on the rich side of peak.
3. Passing through 6000', back off the throttle just enough to disengage the carb enrichment circuit and readjust the mixture a few turns rich of peak.
4. Upon reaching cruise altitude, level off and when airspeed increases, lean for cruise (just rich of rough).

All the while, during the climb, pitching for about 100 kts IAS at first gradually slowing to around 95 kts IAS at altitude.

Not on my engines (TCM TSIO520NB). Everything forward (takeoff power) is 41", 2700 rpm and 38 gph. I'd run out of gas before I reached cruise altitude. Per the book cruise climb is 35" 2500rpm and 28gph. At around 130ktas this also conveniently gives me max CHTs of 380. I believe a lot of turbos need to be run in a similar manner in climb; definitely not wide open.
How much do you have to bring back the mixture levers to get those flows at those power settings? I'm thinking that your plane is set up to keep the red knobs forward during the climb, but I've never flown your plane so I'm here to learn.

I have it set to be around 32 gph at cruise climb settings (35” 2500rpm) with mixture levers full forward. This gives me the flexibility to put in more fuel than my standard 28gph on high ISA days or when a steeper climb is needed

Back