Jeep Peeps, spend my money

Oh I agree. I've driven a few newer ones (JL) as rentals and they were fine (although obviously stock). I just meant that "Jeeps are plain fun to drive" isn't universal, lol. Here's a rental I had one time back in 2017, which I was driving to a location in DFW at which there were 3 or 4 employees with highly-modded Jeep Wranglers. I rented the JL on purpose

That's a JK. 2019 was first year for JL.

The JL was reportedly redesigned for better road manners.

My particular use case is mostly back roads and an occasional soggy trail for giggles in Florida. The only reason I care about road manners is in case I decide to relocate it to Colorado in the future.

I've moved around a lot, and have always believed in watching the natives and doing what they do. Jeeps are very popular in both FL and CO.

The JL was reportedly redesigned for better road manners.

My particular use case is mostly back roads and an occasional soggy trail for giggles in Florida. The only reason I care about road manners is in case I decide to relocate it to Colorado in the future.

I've moved around a lot, and have always believed in watching the natives and doing what they do. Jeeps are very popular in both FL and CO.
As I mentioned (despite mis-labeling the generation), the JK was just fine on the road and had notably better manners/noise than the YJ. I'm sure the newer 392 would be a riot. I have a cousin with one which has had all of the typical off-roading stuff done to a 392 Wrangler, but I haven't had the pleasure of riding in it.

If you buy new, or CPO (certified pre-owned) I highly, repeat highly, recommend looking into the Chrysler 8 yr/125K mile Added Care Plus plan. Or, if you can swing it - the MaxCare plan. It paid off in my case. In 2014 I went to the dealer to order a new JK Sport. No frills except A/C. The salesman (whom we've used in the past) pointed out one he thought I'd like. It was a used 2011 JK/Sahara. But, it was green. I dislike green. I want white vehicles. Since it had the six-speed manual in it, it just sat there. Even the lot boys couldn't drive it. I asked for the extended service plan (at no extra charge, paid asking price for Jeep), and it paid off for me. The 3.8L engine and transmission have been flawless. Gutless, but no issues. There is something to be said about "old school" pushrods riding on hydraulic lifters. What was replaced under the terms of the extended service plan:
AC compressor - twice
Radiator
Rear Drive Shaft (cardan joint failed)
Fuel Tank
Fortunately all kinks have been worked out now for the last six or seven years. I have had to replace on wheel speed sensor, but it was an inexpensive and easy fix.
Don't expect stellar mileage. Mine is a daily driver. In the rolling hills of Central Texas I get around 17 mpg. That's keeping it at 65 mph too. With the stock tires, 3.73 axle ratio I see 2,000 rpm at 65. Even with the slightly taller Sahara package it rides and handles better than any other Jeep we've owned (I do miss my YJ though).

Now for a comparison, when we purchased my wife's 2010 Chrysler 300, I ponied up the extra $1,700 for a Lifetime Added Care Plus service plan. That car has lots of electronic geegaws to fail on it. We never needed to use that plan until it hit 156K miles. Both fuel pumps failed on it. Other than that, I replaced the thermostat. It has been a wonderfully reliable and comfortable car for us. In fact, when it was recently replaced with a Dodge Durango, our son begged us to sell it to him. He's enjoying it now. Sadly, the Lifetime service contract doesn't transfer.

Back