Is it safe to fly on a Boeing 737-Max?

Abby23

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Abby
Hey there everyone,
My family and I are scheduled to fly on a Boeing 737 Max this summer and I am getting increasingly anxious about it.
Would people on this group advise me to cancel and rebook flights with another plane?
I'd be very grateful for any wisdom!
Thanks so much from Abby

Yes they are safe, like said thousands fly on one everyday. My best buddy is a 21 year Captain who fly's one. He loves the Max.

southwest has been flying the max 8 for a while, been on it a few few times. I have no concerns for the 8

Would people on this group advise me to cancel and rebook flights with another plane?
No. While Boeing and the MAX are headlines, which aircraft do you think is getting all the attention from their flight crews and mechanics? Personally, I still prefer to fly in a Boeing product vs in an Airbus product and that is after 40 years of working in the aviation industry.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a 6-hour flight scheduled in a Max next month and I am stoked. If only it were headed to Wisconsin instead of Washington. I suppose you can't win them all.

Nothing's perfectly safe. That said, your odds in a Southwest Max 8 are better than your odds driving there, so live your life.

Does anybody have the numbers on how many are taken off and landed successfully?

Yes, but not for safety reasons. I've also been told I'm a vindictive little cur...

vs those that haven’t?
As compared to the other 737 variants.....

I'd guess the answer is that when it comes to your odds of being injured in an in flight accident or incident, there are other factors, like weather, crew, etc., that dominate over aircraft type. So even if there's a higher relative risk for a Max, the real risk is so small that it doesn't matter.

I wonder how the general public would react if they knew the sheer amount of service bulletins and airworthiness directives that most airframes collect. I get into my 50+ year old PA-28 all the time knowing that the FAA thinks the wings will fall off any moment.

Hey there everyone,
My family and I are scheduled to fly on a Boeing 737 Max this summer and I am getting increasingly anxious about it..

What, specifically, worries you about the platform?

…Would people on this group advise me to cancel and rebook flights with another plane?
Thanks so much from Abby
No. Without knowing what airline you are flying on, it’s entirely possible the platform could be substituted up until you get to the gate. It’s also possible that no airline is flying your particular route with anything other than a 737.

Finally, you could attempt to book a route advertised as being an Airbus but for whatever reason you end up on a 737 anyways.

Hey there everyone,
My family and I are scheduled to fly on a Boeing 737 Max this summer and I am getting increasingly anxious about it.
Thanks so much from Abby

Hello, Abby. Welcome to PoA, I hope you enjoy your time here.

In addition to the great advice above, I'd like to add the following thoughts.

The airlines have confidence in the aircraft or they would not be using it. There are no reputable airlines sending planes off while crossing their fingers hoping nothing goes wrong. The cost of an aircraft crash is very high, in both direct costs and in damage to the company reputation.

Pilots, and the cabin crew, are quite literally staking their lives on their confidence in the aircraft. And these are people who are definitely in the know about the aircraft and their safety.

About the 737 Max specifically you need to understand that the issues you're aware of have already been addressed. None of the things in the news are a problem since once a problem is known the solution is implemented as thoroughly and as quickly as can be. In the case of the MCAS you may recall that the aircraft were taken out of service worldwide until a solution was in place.

The initial issue that catapulted it to fame, the MCAS issue, has certainly been trained to every pilot. You can flip two switches and it will no longer be a problem. Seriously, thats it. The lack of knowledge and training were what caused the initial crashes. (There are reasons the knowledge was not immediately available at the time of the crashes, but that has changed and is now common knowledge) Also there has been some software updates to make the issue less likely to incorrectly appear in the first place.

The emergency door that blew off? That was a build/maintenance issue that has since been checked on every aircraft that is so configured. Once the bolts are in place (as they would be after the inspection if not before), there is no chance of the door just randomly leaving the aircraft.

At this point I'd put the aircraft in the same category as other airframes. That any issue that arises on a Max flight is just a random fluke that could hit any other aircraft on a give day. So, who's to say that you jumping from a 737 to an Airbus 321 (for example) might not result in you going to the aircraft that will have the fluke hit it that day?

To be clear, I'd have no issue taking a 737 Max to any destination and I'd counsel against making a decision just based on the aircraft type.

Let us know how the trip goes.

Safety is relative, not absolute. One thing is more safe or less safe than another thing. Flying on a 737 MAX is probably safer than hitch hiking, for example.

All things considered, there is more risk from which flight crew you will get than there is from which plane you're on. You wouldn't try to book a specific pilot, would you?

If you are driving a car to the airport, I would have more concern about an accident/injury on the way to the airport than an incident in the 737 Max.

Asking this question of a group of people who launch themselves thousands of feet into the air on planes built on 30s tech in some cases before the pilots were born, with a single engine, with recurring structural ADs in some cases, unknown wing spar hole issues for Pipers? Yeah the Max is fine now.

I see the news going on about an issue that's actually CFM's problem and not Boeings and labeling it as Boeing and 737. The biggest known issue was the absolutely insane decisions on MCAS which has been fixed. The other stuff well you know supposedly paint come off airbus too in the sun and Airbus says that doesn't causes issue with UV and the composite under the paint....

I fly on them all the time.

About 100 people die in driving mishaps each day in the US alone. EVERY day.

As compared to the other 737 variants.....

I'd guess the answer is that when it comes to your odds of being injured in an in flight accident or incident, there are other factors, like weather, crew, etc., that dominate over aircraft type. So even if there's a higher relative risk for a Max, the real risk is so small that it doesn't matter.
Well, I was thinking Max vs Max. Apples to apples.

But the point is the same.

If you are driving a car to the airport, I would have more concern about an accident/injury on the way to the airport than an incident in the 737 Max.

Well, that assumes Boeing didn't build the car....

Of course, this is location dependant, but if you're driving to the Orlando airport (or Atlanta or LA), I'd agree that the drive is much more dangerous.

What, specifically, worries you about the platform?

No. Without knowing what airline you are flying on, it’s entirely possible the platform could be substituted up until you get to the gate. It’s also possible that no airline is flying your particular route with anything other than a 737.

Finally, you could attempt to book a route advertised as being an Airbus but for whatever reason you end up on a 737 anyways.
Platform: 1718921560397.jpeg

Airplane: 1718922102637.jpeg

Platform: 1718921688102.jpeg

Airplane: 1718922216015.jpeg

Platform: 1718921920260.jpeg

Airplane: 1718922280607.jpeg

Platform: View attachment 130360

Airplane: 1718922391425.jpeg

1718921560397.jpeg1718921688102.jpeg1718921920260.jpegView attachment 1303551718922102637.jpeg1718922216015.jpeg1718922280607.jpeg1718922391425.jpegView attachment 130360...

All you hear in the news is “ max”. It’s never broken down by variants when they report the issues. You hear about max certification issues, But they are not reporting that it’s the 9 The general public or the reporters do not know about the variants, 7,8,9

In the media’s eyes, MAX is a death trap

I think others have covered it pretty well. You’re better than fine.

Speaking as someone who knows a wee bit about some of the Max problems, it has been a great dark humor joke and bargaining chip. Too soon?

Personally I do not like narrow body commercial aircraft, I rather fly my own airplane and control my times and luggage and miss out on all the TSA shouting and entitled aircrew encountered along the way. For long haul, well yes I’ll take a wide body aircraft.

I’d prefer a non-discount airline operating newer fleet, that’s more important than anything else. And your equipment is subject to change last minute, no point to get worked up about anything until you’re on the airplane. The airplane is generally safe, perhaps look at the pilots and see if they look intoxicated or high (far more likely to happen) than some other issue. Too many failsafes built in, even if an issue, pilot needs the capability to decide to land.

The airplane is generally safe, perhaps look at the pilots and see if they look intoxicated or high (far more likely to happen) than some other issue.
:yeahthat:

As much as I detest Boeing and deplore the whole MAX MCAS debacle, in general the airplanes are safer than the crews operating them. MCAS has caused two airliners to crash, with poor crew performance being a large contributor. How many airliners have crashed from pilot suicides? Or substance abuse? Or sheer incompetence?

Personally I dislike all 737's, but they are perfectly safe.

Personally I do not like narrow body commercial aircraft, I rather fly my own airplane and control my times and luggage and miss out on all the TSA shouting and entitled aircrew encountered along the way. For long haul, well yes I’ll take a wide body aircraft.

Oh? Tell us more.....

Personally I dislike all 737's, but they are perfectly safe.

Oh? Tell us more.....
We all experienced it, starts with the customer service. Hey 99% are great, it’s the 1% who ruin the image for everyone else. Again I prefer to fly my own airplane, if the experience was better then I might fly commercial more. And I’m referring to US operated airlines. Asian ones are much better!

Ever been on I-70 or I25 in Kolorado? And you question the safety of the max? Or for that matter any form of rapid transport.

I-4 through Orlando is #1.
  • I-4: Tampa, Florida to Daytona Beach, Florida
    • Deaths per mile: 1.134
    • Length of Highway: 132 miles
    • Total Traffic Deaths (2016-2019): 150
    • Deadliest city: Orlando

I-4 through Orlando is #1.
  • I-4: Tampa, Florida to Daytona Beach, Florida
    • Deaths per mile: 1.134
    • Length of Highway: 132 miles
    • Total Traffic Deaths (2016-2019): 150
    • Deadliest city: Orlando
Agh, not surprised by this. Grew up Ormond/Daytona late 60s through mid 80s. Lived Orlando mid 80s till departing FL to AZ 2001. I4 between Orlando and Daytona wasn’t too bad then but Orlando to Tampa was awful. Sinusoidal peak 80mph min stopped, all the way from about 20 miles west of Orlando where I4 then went to two lanes, just dreadful. I just can’t imagine how bad it is now. We’re doing commercial, Allegiant, Appleton WI to Sanford tomorrow. Will be taking Tomoka Farms (415), definitely not I4. Of course it’s been 15 years or so since I’ve driven Tomoka Farms, I may get a wake-up call.

Back