iPad help

Ah now I see why you can't answer.
I am trying to accomplish:
we are sharing the ipad and have different ideas about organization. Men and women are apparently different wrt that. Left brain/right brain thing. Anyway, I like all my apps or files extremely organized. (and certainly not mixed in with a bunch of someone else's..apps) It helps me find stuff later. Gives needed ritual to life. Or something like that.
So, I would like to label one folder Mine and the other Hers, and dump our respective apps including each our own mail, and safari apps in the two folders.
Maybe it will allow partitioning of the entire ipad?

Aha! The iPad isn't really a multi-user machine... Maybe you could buy another one and each have your own? ;)

Mail will be the toughest part. There's no way to make it automatically go to your inbox or hers. Maybe if you each agree to back it out of your respective email accounts when you're done with Mail...

You could easily have a "His" screen and a "Hers" screen of apps, *IF* you have six or fewer apps that you both use (and those would live on the bottom of the screen so they'd show up on both). But, if you have a lot of apps that you both use, I think you'll just have to agree on what to put where. There's no provision for an alias/shortcut aside from that previously noted for web pages (which will all launch Safari).

hey, your idea of each using only one page might work. We could try not, she could try not to get too many apps which might spill onto my page. Or I use pg one only and she can have all the pages to the right. But I can easily see it leading to your other solution...'getcher own ipad, honey!'
We have separate mail boxes...so could leave that at the bottom as a fixed app. Too bad about safari tho, (is there an alternate?) because the bookmarks are going to get huge, and all mixed up.

hey, your idea of each using only one page might work. We could try not, she could try not to get too many apps which might spill onto my page. Or I use pg one only and she can have all the pages to the right. But I can easily see it leading to your other solution...'getcher own ipad, honey!'
We have separate mail boxes...so could leave that at the bottom as a fixed app. Too bad about safari tho, (is there an alternate?) because the bookmarks are going to get huge, and all mixed up.

Well, if she gets too many apps, she can start putting them in folders. :thumbsup:

What do you do on desktop computers for bookmarks? Or do you each have your own computer?

Well, if she gets too many apps, she can start putting them in folders. :thumbsup:

Hey, that is exactly what I asked for. How do we make two empty folders, putting our apps in each folder?

What do you do on desktop computers for bookmarks? Or do you each have your own computer?

We each have laptops with our own bookmarks.
With Seamonkey I can email my bms to myself, always have them available in a clickable form in the email if I don't accidentally erase that email.

How about word processors. We have thousands of Word documents now; is there anything that will read and make documents that are Word-compatible on the ipad?
Tks

Hey, that is exactly what I asked for. How do we make two empty folders, putting our apps in each folder?

You don't make EMPTY folders. You can make folders, just by dragging one app on top of another one - I think that's been described already. I would recommend the one-screen-each approach, though, as there is a limit to the number of apps you can have in a folder. If you each have one screen, you'll be able to have folders on that screen and organize them in a manner that makes more sense - And you'll be able to separate your stuff while having the ability to use folders for other purposes.

How about word processors. We have thousands of Word documents now; is there anything that will read and make documents that are Word-compatible on the ipad?
Tks

Yup - Documents To Go, QuickOffice Connect, or Apple's own Pages word processor. Each one is under $20. There's probably a couple that I don't know of too.

how to clean the screen when you are without specialized screen cleaners, and only have household type items.
3000psi power washer? 80gt sandpaper?
I see on google not to use window cleaners.

how to clean the screen when you are without specialized screen cleaners, and only have household type items.

I either use a dry kleenex (not the cheap stuff that's like 140grit sandpaper), toilet paper, or a very slightly damp paper towel.
Your best bet is to pick up an eyeglass cleaning cloth at the local big box store or LensCrafters.

FYI, I have a very high quality microfiber cloth that I use for my eyeglasses, IPad, and IPhone.

EDIT - Also, the Targus Zierra case includes a microfiber cleaner that nests in a little pocket, is remarkably versatile, and works like a stand.
You can open it like a portfolio and set in flat in the table, use it as a stand, has slots for papers and business cards, and both wings can fold back so that it is no wider and longer than the IPad itself, and a has a pen/stylus loop.

I am buying a dozen IPads for my Incident Management Team, and am specing the Zierra case for their use.

Last edited:

Me, I just use my T-shirt. Seriously.

The oleophobic coating has worn off somewhat so that doesn't work as well any more, so I just bought a screen cleaning kit at the Apple store - Fluid, cloth, carrying case. I use that occasionally, and it seems to be working well. Here's a link: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5930

pfff, the screen covers - not so easy to apply and have too many bubbles. I see it coming off soon.

Now about cases/kneeboards.
I have narrowed my 'wants' down:

- folds like a book so as to protect all surfaces in case it falls, and the screen from chafing.
- prefer no zippers. Just some kind of strap would be better.
- doubles as a kneeboard - ie something to hold it to my leg
- no ancillary features (clipboard, flashlite holders etc) needed.

pfff, the screen covers - not so easy to apply and have too many bubbles. I see it coming off soon.

Like I've said, I don't think they're necessary and I don't like the ones I've tried. Plus the bubbles thing.

- folds like a book so as to protect all surfaces in case it falls, and the screen from chafing.

Hmmm. I doubt you'll find one that's BOTH a kneeboard AND doesn't have any extras. The kneeboards I've seen all have a clipboard of some sort and wouldn't make very good all-the-time cases.

The Apple iPad 1 case was pretty nice and meets the rest of your requirements, but they don't want to cover up their pristine "work of art" :rolleyes: so they're not selling them any more.

I don't know what to tell you on this one. Google is your friend...

I use this case from InCase -- seems to fit all your req's...

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-book-jacket-cl57512r

I take it out of the case and stick it in a RAM Mount on the yoke when flying, though.

I just use the Apple case, folded back under the iPAD. I rest this on my legal-sized clipboard (the one that I have always used as a lapdesk for IFR flight, actually a basketball coach's marker board), with a spring clip along the bottom edge clipped to the folded-back Apple case. Works for me, leave room for my steno pad next to it, and no cost.

Wells

Try one of these for a screen protector. CHEAP, easy to instal, no bubbles. Had a Zagg and hated it. At $30 it was the worst screen cover Ive used. The cheap ones have good visibility, and at least protect the screen from an accidental drop, scratch.

http://www.handhelditems.com/ipad-screen-protector-p-125644.html

Try one of these for a screen protector. CHEAP, easy to instal, no bubbles. Had a Zagg and hated it. At $30 it was the worst screen cover Ive used. The cheap ones have good visibility, and at least protect the screen from an accidental drop, scratch.

http://www.handhelditems.com/ipad-screen-protector-p-125644.html

That's not anti-glare, which I consider mandatory for cockpit use.
This is: http://www.handhelditems.com/packs-...atte-finishing-screen-protector-p-134623.html

Back