Hypothetical question for dr bruce

P

Pondering Ca

Me and my first officer were offered cookies today, obviously we through them out but it brought up a question we had…. What would happen to crew members who took food and unknowingly ate it while it contained cannabis? While on the flight deck.

Would they lose their medicals?
Dr Bruce this one may be down your ally.

That’s
Me and my first officer were offered cookies today, obviously we through them out but it brought up a question we had…. What would happen to crew members who took food and unknowingly ate it while it contained cannabis? While on the flight deck.

That’s interesting. On that note, I was told that even CBD, which is not allowed by the FAA but legal, will ruin things.

Until it shows up on a test you don’t know what you don’t know.

I can’t speak for your employer, but my previous employer required a confirmatory test after you first popped hot. Tie went to a third ‘random’ opportunity.

I would not eat cookies that did not come from a KNOWN safe source.

They may contain more than cannabis.

I suspect the answer would be, 'It is up to the airman to protect his pee.'

Probably depends on what happened after you ate it.

Friends were skiing in Colorado a few years back. Someone was giving out cookies, which they ate one. Yup, they were spiked. They were ok but spent time in the er due to some reaction. The culprit was caught and was arrested.

Moral- don’t eat food from strangers.

Obviously dont eat food from strangers….like i said we threw it out. Curious what would happen if reported

I would assume you'd file a police report.
Flyxaos got it right.

Apparently on my mom’s side of the family (of which we know little) at the family compound, they even had a person in the house who was in charge of procuring potable food and then demonstrating that it was so. When flight crews have that, then and only then, unknown cookies MIGHT be okay…..

I view this as, “if HIMS is okay with you, then HAVE ONE…..”

There are lots in HIMS for less than this. There IS going to be an “evaluation” so it’s a DEFINITE possibility. Even if they decide this event isn’t worthy, ANYTHING you say during that evaluation may trap you. Remember that HIMS considers denial a primary diagnostic criteria, and the evaluator is likely bought by your company.

Secondly, we’re talking an illegal drug, you may lose your certs as well. The medical is merely with held while you satisfy HIMS requirements, there’s a 100 percent possibility of getting a SI medical. The Certs are gonna be dependent on passing the checkrides again, all of them…. Private, instrument, commercial. ATP will probably come from your company who is going to be tickled you’re now the perfectly compliant pilot.

In the context of 121, this has nothing to do with accidentally eating pot laced cookies. What is in your personnel file has the answer to this question.

I guess the first thing a flight crew should do (and be trained to do) when offered cookies is to get the passenger's ID, take a photo, then have the cookies tested. That's got to be a very serious crime with a long jail term if the food was spiked.

Recently viewed online video. Bride arrested at wedding reception. She wanted everyone to have a good time so food was "spiked" with edible MJ products. Some had some very bad reactions, EMT called, police show up.

It's sad that there are people who think it's OK to drug other people without their knowledge and consent.

now I’m wondering if I’m lying on my medical. I mean, I did eat a free cookie at an fbo that one time.

Back