Hot Air Balloon brings down antenna/tower; no injuries

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Wow I wonder how much liability insurance coverage the average balloon has.

Mr. @tonycondon please pick up the white courtesy phone

Almost 20 years to the day since the last time the KKOB towers were hit by a balloon.

Outcome better than the helicopter that hit tower guy wires a few days back.

Tough luck for the radio station. This is "grab the money" time for broadcasters as candidates spend everything they have leading up to the election. (One local TV station got $100,000 for a 30-second commercial in a Sunday football game right before the election in 2020. And this is a small market.)

Tough luck for the radio station. This is "grab the money" time for broadcasters as candidates spend everything they have leading up to the election. (One local TV station got $100,000 for a 30-second commercial in a Sunday football game right before the election in 2020. And this is a small market.)
If that station is run like a couple I knew of years ago, they'll switch to the 100W or so backup transmitter, connected to whatever stub is left of the tower or system, and charge the customers full price as per normal. Not that I know anything about that business...just speculating based on rumors from station engineers.

There's another antenna onsite. Most of the large TV and radio stations I worked with before retiring had an "old" antenna that was utilized during repairs on the newer and taller tower. That's probably the case with KKOB.

Back