GRYDER WINS - $1.2M Defamation Case Reversed

Weird, nothing comes up from this year except a page listing wild content creator lawsuits.

If I read the appeals court document correctly, due to bad wording on the request for alternative service, the summary judgement was reversed. Means he has to go to trial now.

SH: Use his name and judgement appeal in the search terms. Should come up with the appeals court order issued on the 24th of this month.

Appellate decision can be read here.

Not quite a “WIN.” Basic procedural issue. The appellate court determined he wasn’t properly served so the default judgment against him was improper. Now the case goes back to the trial court where it proceeds normally*.

(* to the extent anything involving Gryder is “normal.”)

If I read the appeals court document correctly, due to bad wording on the request for alternative service, the summary judgement was reversed.
Hmmm.

"the affidavit of non-service was devoid of any information to support that Gryder could probably be found where the process server had attempted to serve him.

The affidavit of non-service here indicates the opposite of what Rule 106(b)requires. "

Doesn't seem like mere bad wording to me. It looks like a failure to serve as required by law. I can't see that any wording that was not perjurious could have corrected that.

But maybe that is indeed bad wording?

I didn't find the "Judgment" but this document contains a "Conclusion" that states the judgment.

Searching on the case number turned it up. 02-23-00434-cv

Back