Great (or at least popular) movies you have never seen

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I thought this might be interesting...

I've never seen a single Indiana Jones movie.
I have only recently seen The Godfather.
I haven't seen any Lord of the Rings movies...
I haven't seen any Harry Potter movies...

I've not seen many popular, Hollywood movies that many seem to like. I find most of them contrived, too reliant on effects and CG and predictable. I'd rather have a good story and acting than effects.

I'll try to think of a list.

On which isolated mountain peak do you live?

Try renting anything from Pixar. It pretty much doesn't matter, they're all really, really good movies. I thought Wall-E was the best movie I've seen this decade.

Well I've never seen Titanic. I mean the boat sinks, so why bother watching :D

I always referred to it as Tightantic. Have to admit though that it was worth seeing for the historical recreation aspect. You just have to know what parts are made up BS. For an idea of the technology and culture of that time it has some good images.

I have always been interested in that story since I was a young child having lived close to one of the survivors. The Walter lord book is really, REALLY good and if you watch the movie A Night to Remember you get an accurate and good story. The modern movie is also good as long as you pay little attention to the main the story and instead watch the background and the effects!

I got to tour the sets for the modern movie and see some of the models. Very accurate and realistic. At one point I felt like I was really on the ship.

As for the rest of the movies, with the exception of the latest Indiana Jones movie in which Steve Spielberg and Goerge Lucas rape Indiana they were all pretty good. Get the first one (a classic) and the third one. A good day of entertainment.

No Harry Potter!! Elizabeth!! Have you at least read the books? They are a modern classic that is really ingenious and well written. The movies are good and the kids playing the parts are doing a bang up job. The girl who is playing Luna is absolutely perfect for the role.

Godfather, fuh git about it! 1st two are the only ones worth watching.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0183.JPG
    IMG_0183.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Never seen any Adam Sandler movie.

Never seen any Ben Stiller movie except Tropic Thunder and surfed by parts of Night at the Museum.

Never watch any slasher movie. Freddy who?

I don't consider ANY slasher movie to be a great movie and I cannot fathom why they are popular.

Halloween, the movie that started the whole slasher genre, was superb, and actually had little gratuitous violence. I actually love them all, but it is decidedly a guilty pleasure. Mrs. Steingar hates them, and thus I only see horror movies when she is out of town.

READ Lord of the Rings, THEN watch the movies.

Your mind will fill in all the gaps that even 10+ hours of film could not present.

(LOTR purists were annoyed, of course -- but I thought the films did a fine job maintaining the book story lines.

My only major complaint was the portrayal of Aragorn as a Post-Modern reluctant hero.

Bah.)

Last edited:
Never seen any Ben Stiller movie except Tropic Thunder and surfed by parts of Night at the Museum.

Oh, you need to see There's Something about Mary!

Dodgeball is funny too - like a Will Ferrell movie, except actually funny...

Trapper John

READ Lord of the Rings, THEN watch the movies.

Your mind will fill in all the gaps that even 10+ hours of film could not present.

(LOTR purists were annoyed, of course -- but I thought the films did a fine job maintaining the book story lines.

My only major complaint was the portrayal of Aragorn as a Post-Modern reluctant hero.

Bah.)

i couldnt even stay attentive through the first 1/2 of the first movie. no way i'd ever get through the books. I've been spending the last 2 or 3 years reading the first harry potter book, on and off.

OK, I don't know about the rest of them, but you gotta at least TRY the 'old' Indiana Jones movies. The newest one was interesting, but only because of the references to the old movies - I don't consider it at the same level as the previous movies, though.

I've never watched any of the Godfather's all the way through.
Maybe only watched one complete 'Rocky' movie.
Never watched any of the 'Nightmare on Elm Street' or 'Friday the 13th' movies.
I like the LOTR movies, but have no desire to read the books.
I've gotten bored with the Harry Potter movies and I have no desire to read the books.
Never watched the Predator or Rambo movies.

I'm a sucker for kid movies - I saw 'Incredibles', 'Bolt and 'Race to Witch Mountain' in the theaters (it's nice having young nephews that like for Uncle Chris and Aunt Rachel to take them to the movies ;)). Any of the Pixar movies are great. I want to see 'Up' when it comes out.

I'm a sucker for kid movies - I saw 'Incredibles', 'Bolt and 'Race to Witch Mountain' in the theaters (it's nice having young nephews that like for Uncle Chris and Aunt Rachel to take them to the movies ;)). Any of the Pixar movies are great. I want to see 'Up' when it comes out.

yea, my little brother and sister still give me a crap about how hard I laughed at Bolt. Tears were shed.

On which isolated mountain peak do you live?

She lives on one a lot closer to civilization than the one I'm on.
One day it occured to me that movies were excessively loud (you shouldn't be able to hear the show through the concrete wall from outside), lously to no decent plot, computer graphics galore, scene switching so much that it could induce seizures in a rock and generally poorly written, seats were icky and the floors had a scary version ickystick on them. I suddenly quit going. I just stopped and never went back.

Last movie: robinhood prince of theives -- 1991. And that was only because I happened to be with some people that didn't want to drive me 50 miles home before the show started. The Princess Bride was the last one that I enjoyed.
I've only seen bits and pieces of movies since then on TV. Realized TV was doing the same thing as the movies were...gave my TV away in 2006 and haven't watched one since.

Nowadays it's live theatre or nothing. Brilliant top quality acting even at the high school level, often cheezy to nonexistent sets, excellent storylines. :drama:

Well i'll add my 2 cents. I haven't been to the movies at a theater since The Sound Of Music ( Julie Andrews). but i want to go see The Soloist, looks interesting to me.From want i've seen in ads Jamie Fox does one hellava job portraying this guy (not a Comedy). I'm not much on comedy movies . as for Titanic i think leo did a great job.
Dave G:blueplane:

yea, my little brother and sister still give me a crap about how hard I laughed at Bolt. Tears were shed.

Just saw that last night. Great stuff. :rofl: Rhino and the pigeons were great. The pigeons reminded me of Goodfeathers from Animaniacs.

As for me, I've stayed away from Dane Cook and Seth Rogen films. None of them have appealed to me though my student workers apparently think they are hi-lar-i-ous.

If the 'movie critic's' call a movie B grade & cliche, I rush out to see it. If the reviewer likes it, I avoid it. DaveR

It's kind of hard to do science fiction in live theatre

Another topping. Still haven't seen the movies I hadn't seen as of the date I started this...

I have never seen Star Trek (in any shape or form), Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars ( I may have watched the first Star Wars as a kid but I have no recollection of it ). Can't think of anything I'd rather do less than watch a sci-fi movie... I'll be in the Rambo section.

I've never seen the classic 1936 movie.....

Reefer Madness!

I have never seen Star Trek (in any shape or form), Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars ( I may have watched the first Star Wars as a kid but I have no recollection of it ). Can't think of anything I'd rather do less than watch a sci-fi movie... I'll be in the Rambo section.

Blasphemer!

I almost never go to the movies but I consented to see the latest (last?) Harry Potter movie because we were out of town and killing time. It was the first 3D movie I have seen and I have to say that....

I didn't understand much of it. :redface:

OMG this is too funny. This is a topic that has come up a lot for me, since for some reason I am "expected" to have certain movie knowledge - and well, I don't.

I pretty much live under a rock when it comes to this stuff.

I don't "get" movie references because I haven't seen very many movies, or, if I did, it was so long ago that I have forgotten all of the memorable quotes.

So my list is too long to attempt.

It's kind of hard to do science fiction in live theatre

Hogwash.
It's only difficult because movie type people nowadays want everything handed to them and not have to use their imagination at all. IOW all image, minimal plot.

The Dr Who series (circa Tom Baker time period specifically) could be put on stage so incredibly easy. Actually the idea sounds like a lot of fun. Hmmm, two of the 1 hour shows per night for a week and run the entire series over a year.

I don't "get" movie references because I haven't seen very many movies, or, if I did, it was so long ago that I have forgotten all of the memorable quotes.

Yea. Me too. Often it results in an instant social outcast because of it because you're weird if you don't know that stuff.

I quit going to movies in 1991. The plots were thin. Too much gore. You could listen to the shows by standing outside the building through the soundproof walls - earplugs were mandatory. And the seats and floors were absolutely disgusting. I've only been to live theatre since then.

Last edited:
The Dr Who series (circa Tom Baker time period specifically) could be put on stage so incredibly easy. Actually the idea sounds like a lot of fun. Hmmm, two of the 1 hour shows per night for a week and run the entire series over a year.

Like this?

Well, not that pathetic. I can do, and have done, way way better than that. (set and light design plus the obligatory techie stuff is my specialty) I'll leave directing and acting up to those that I know who live and breathe for that stuff.

Look at the old Dr Who sets. They're incredibly simple and done on a small budget. A few scenery drops and moveable set pieces and the stage is ready for any of the episodes. (The inside of the Tardis can almost be assembled from any self respecting theatre's junk bin with very little extra materials) It's been a while since I've seen a show however I'm thinking the original scripts wouldn't take much alteration to go onstage at a decent community theatre.

I have seen ONE Dr. Who, and I really really enjoyed it.

Start with the Tom Baker series. Think in terms of a decent theatre production, not a trillion dollar computer animation movie and it's actually quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Oh, you need to see There's Something about Mary!
That if one of the funniest movies ever made.

Seriously, if you're seeing it for the first time, take a couple Tylenol first. My ribs hurt for a day after watching that movie.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back