Great (or at least popular) movies you have never seen

One thing I don't get is why so much junk is put on screen when there are hundreds of great books that could be turned into screenplays. Anything by Harlan Coben or most of John Sandford's stuff.

I have yet to see a movie that was better than the book.

otoh - I've seen a few movies that were complete trash even though the books were pretty good. Dune would be my vote for good book/completely worthless movie.

I have yet to see a movie that was better than the book.

otoh - I've seen a few movies that were complete trash even though the books were pretty good. Dune would be my vote for good book/completely worthless movie.

Are you comparing the David Lynch version or the SCI-FI miniseries?

Are you comparing the David Lynch version or the SCI-FI miniseries?

The movie, not any miniseries. I never watched the miniseries, the movie was so bad, so horrible, such that I had absolutely no interest in the miniseries.

Miniseries was pretty good. First one especially. Second one a little less so.

I have a t-shirt on which "Hello, my name is" is emblazoned largely on the chest, right above an area to write your name. I had Mrs. Steingar write in "Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Anyone who has seen Princess Bride will understand the relevance.

In the book it was, "You killed my father and my brother..." that was always weird that they took that out of the movie. Silly Hollywood. It made it funnier in the book because it took him so long to say it.

It's just the (children's not history's) version of the story of Pocahontas with blue people and some decent flying special effects.

There's only 7 plots ever, so everything is just another version of something else.

In the book it was, "You killed my father and my brother..." that was always weird that they took that out of the movie. Silly Hollywood. It made it funnier in the book because it took him so long to say it.

That's the problem of moving something from text to script.

Take Les Miserables for example: How do you go about putting piles of pages of character analysis in nauseating detail on stage to properly explain the integrity and mindset of the Bishop without boring your audience completely to death for 3 days straight before being able to continue the story?

Somewhere in the Far East, Mongolia maybe, I can't remember where exactly that tell stories completely. The stories told/acted out take weeks or months to complete. It covers those typically missed details until they are fullyu explained. The problem is that I just don't see your average half hour american sitcom audience, or even your patient fanatical live theatre audience members from the west to be able to listen or watch a play all day long for 3 months.

For movies quotes it has to be Princess Bride anything else would be inconceivable

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Man in Black: [as he is unsuccessfully fighting Fezzik] Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?
Fezzik: I just want you to feel you're doing well.

Somewhere in the Far East, Mongolia maybe, I can't remember where exactly that tell stories completely. The stories told/acted out take weeks or months to complete. It covers those typically missed details until they are fullyu explained. The problem is that I just don't see your average half hour american sitcom audience, or even your patient fanatical live theatre audience members from the west to be able to listen or watch a play all day long for 3 months.

Maybe that's why the only good thing to come out of Mongolia is fast, pick-it-yourself wok cooking?

mongolianBBQ.jpg

:D

Back