GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!

Does not say what temps or where the balls are to be measured at. Patriots could have easily said, "Hey Joe Referee, balls are outside the steam room ready for testing." Meanwhile the Colts, "Hey Joe Referee, the balls are at the bench waiting for testing."

Can easily explain the pressure differential. As to why 1 of the 12 passed, who knows. I bet if I check the air on all four of my tires right now they aren't exactly the same.

I bet if I check the air on all four of my tires right now they aren't exactly the same.

And, I'd bet if you grab four off the shelf tire pressure gauges and measured the same tire, you'd get a range of at least 4psi.

Not sure what all the arguing is about? The Pat's are going to lose anyway and will not be able to cheat their way to victory.

Have a nice day

Does not say what temps or where the balls are to be measured at. Patriots could have easily said, "Hey Joe Referee, balls are outside the steam room ready for testing." Meanwhile the Colts, "Hey Joe Referee, the balls are at the bench waiting for testing."

Can easily explain the pressure differential. As to why 1 of the 12 passed, who knows. I bet if I check the air on all four of my tires right now they aren't exactly the same.

I know - I wonder if there's another book somewhere that describes testing procedures. I would guess not. The balls are probably delivered to the referee's locker room, he uses whatever gauge he has, marks the balls and gives them back to the equipment manager or whoever is the "keeper of the balls".

During the game, or at halftime, the league was notified and made the decision to test again. I'm not sure the refs were involved, I've heard it described as "the league", so it might have been an NFL official at the stadium other than the game officials.

My guesses: The balls were then tested again on the sidelines (at outdoor temps), or were taken back into the referee locker room and tested with the same gauge used initially. If they were tested in the locker room, they would have had a chance to warm back up at least some amount. I wonder if the 1 ball that did pass was the last one tested and had the longest time to warm up?

Right now it's all guesses since the NFL hasn't made any statement other than the word about underinflation readings in 11 of 12 balls tested.

I don't believe they use a gauge to test them as that would allow air to escape. I think they weigh them.

I don't believe they use a gauge to test them as that would allow air to escape. I think they weigh them.

Dunno - the only thing the rulebook says about it:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/5_2013_Ball.pdf

>>
The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.
<<

The referee "shall be the sole judge", but doesn't say what equipment he uses. A pump is furnished, apparently if they fail, the ref could then inflate them to the proper PSI regardless of how the club actually wants them set?

They don't get released for play until just before game time.

They use a gauge. Peter King from Sports Illustrated did a series on the refs last year. He was able to get video of them checking the balls in their locker room. They use a gauge, mark them, and then fill or decrease the air pressure as necessary.

For the Pats fans...

e05bc85bee54136a30ed5173436940be.jpg

Watched the interviews with the coach and QB. What a bunch of a**hat reporters. If you don't answer the question to their liking,they just keep coming at you. How many ways can you ask the same question. Not a lot of reporting that the balls were all legal the entire second half,when the Pats provided Whoop A**.

I watched belly-chek lie out his butt, consistently. His every word was a crock and everyone in the room seemed to know it.

I think it's odd that each team has a different set of balls, and they switch whenever possession changes. That would never work in basketball or soccer. It could work in baseball, but they don't do it.

Seems like football has just overly complicated itself as a sport.

I think it's odd that each team has a different set of balls, and they switch whenever possession changes. That would never work in basketball or soccer. It could work in baseball, but they don't do it.

Seems like football has just overly complicated itself as a sport.

Apparently it was Tom Brady and Payton Manning that lobbied the NFL to let the home team fix the footbals to their liking:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-sage-rosenfels-on-doctoring-footballs-012115

>>>
The rule changed in 2006. Brady and Manning successfully lobbied the NFL's competition committee about the quality of footballs being used and the negative effect it was having on quarterbacking, particularly when it came to grip. Pereira said the league agreed to let the home team "prepare the footballs themselves by rubbing them and getting them to the way they like them."
<<<

I watched belly-chek lie out his butt, consistently. His every word was a crock and everyone in the room seemed to know it.

I think both would have fessed up myself. Belichick never denied the video tape incident and he is known for pushing the boundaries of the rules, but I don't think he would lie about this.

Once again, Boyle's and Charles's laws explain how this could have happened.

I'm thinking the Seahawk's will end up deflated by the end of the superbowl.

My belief that the Patriots are guilty is that this is far from the coldest game that the Patriots have played. If the "temperature lowered the air pressure" theory is true, then this wouldn't have been the first time this has happened, and it would have happened at plenty of other cold weather stadiums. The Patriots cheated, IMO.

My belief that the Patriots are guilty is that this is far from the coldest game that the Patriots have played. If the "temperature lowered the air pressure" theory is true, then this wouldn't have been the first time this has happened, and it would have happened at plenty of other cold weather stadiums. The Patriots cheated, IMO.

Who said it was the first time? But when Brady doesn't throw many picks, how would the other team ever know? And temperature lowering air pressure isn't a theory, PV=nRT is scientific fact.

Who said it was the first time? But when Brady doesn't throw many picks, how would the other team ever know? And temperature lowering air pressure isn't a theory, PV=nRT is scientific fact.

I don't dispute the temperature lowering air pressure isn't a fact, but at this point I believe applying it to the Patriots balls is a theory/excuse of why it happened. The temperaute during the game was in the 50's. Far different from taking balls from the warm inside to outside where the temp is in the 30's or less. If this wan't the first time it happened, then the NFL needs some serious house cleaning to do.

I don't dispute the temperature lowering air pressure isn't a fact, but at this point I believe applying it to the Patriots balls is a theory/excuse of why it happened. The temperaute during the game was in the 50's. Far different from taking balls from the warm inside to outside where the temp is in the 30's or less. If this wan't the first time it happened, then the NFL needs some serious house cleaning to do.

I did the math for you earlier...., it was 51 at kickoff, it was colder at half time. The Patriots play in cold weather, so I'm sure it happens all the time. It sounds like a rule that can't be adhered to to me. Fix the rule.

I did the math for you earlier...., it was 51 at kickoff, it was colder at half time. The Patriots play in cold weather, so I'm sure it happens all the time. It sounds like a rule that can't be adhered to to me. Fix the rule.

Missed your earlier post. I agree with fixing the rule. Set the balls at a certain psi. Once they refs get them, they never leave their control. Check again at halftime and make sure the psi is back at the proper level.

In all the drama there is an interview where the colts qb said he likes hard footballs, implied harder then legal. Pats like them soft by choosing the prep room temperature you can have them the way your qb wants them and be within the rules. No cheating on this one just sore losing.

The sports guy in our local paper had a pretty good column about all this:

Here's a quote:

"More reporters showed up for Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s news conference on this than the one about how his tight end was arrested for murder. In case you are skimming through here: arrested for murder."
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article7971198.html

Just saw an interview with an ex-Jaguars equipment manager, and here's basically what he said:

The balls are inspected and initialed by the refs, and then put in a bag and placed by the instant replay booth. After that the only people to touch them after that are the ball boys or the referees, and not until the game had already started. He also could never recall a time when the head coach(es) ever approached him and said, "you need to make sure the balls are (like this) for game time."

So, there you go. The last person to see them before game time is the referee at the time of inspection. The refs were the cheaters. The refs should forfeit the game.

Last edited:
If the so-called "deflated" footballs actually provided an advantage, it was strange in the 2nd half that the Patriots had the first nine passes caught, Gronk dropped one, then four more catches, then one incompletion on a deep pass to lafell. No fumbles in the 2nd half (unlike the 1st half).

In other words, the Patriots did better in the 2nd half with the replacement footballs than in the first half with the so-called deflated footballs. If the Patriots "cheated" then they really hoovered at it.

If the so-called "deflated" footballs actually provided an advantage, it was strange in the 2nd half that the Patriots had the first nine passes caught, Gronk dropped one, then four more catches, then one incompletion on a deep pass to lafell. No fumbles in the 2nd half (unlike the 1st half).

In other words, the Patriots did better in the 2nd half with the replacement footballs than in the first half with the so-called deflated footballs. If the Patriots "cheated" then they really hoovered at it.

Cheating that does not affect the game is still cheating.

Nothing done within the rules is cheating. We're not talking about something done within the rules.
Balls passed the initial check, temperature deflated them. Or ghosts.
When your football team loses a game, you are a loser, your friends and family are losers, the town you live in sucks, and for being a fan of a losing team you have failed at being a human.:D

Balls passed the initial check, temperature deflated them.

Temperature wouldn't have missed one.

When your football team loses a game, you are a loser, your friends and family are losers, the town you live in sucks, and for being a fan of a losing team you have failed at being a human.:D

I have no skin in this, my team beat the Patriots.

Temperature wouldn't have missed one.

I have no skin in this, my team beat the Patriots.

No but one could have been at 13.5 instead of 12.5 and been close enough to be good. The other possibility is that Luck likes his balls over inflated and the Colts could have started out high, or at least at the max.

Too bad your team couldn't win when it counted.......

No but one could have been at 13.5 instead of 12.5 and been close enough to be good. The other possibility is that Luck likes his balls over inflated and the Colts could have started out high, or at least at the max.

Another possibility is someone letting some air out of the balls.

Another possibility is someone letting some air out of the balls.

We've figured out the difference is due to the temperature difference between the office where the balls are checked to the outdoor temperature was on it's way to 35F that night.

Anyway, I was at Gillette in Foxboro at the beginning of the season and a fifty dollar bill came floating out of the sky (I assume from the nosebleed seats) and landed in my friends lap next to me. She held it up looked at it, then stuck it in her pocket. About 40 minutes later a stadium employee came over and asked her for the money back. I was told that as a condition to host the World Cup a few years ago, Kraft was required to install a video system that can basically see what's going on in all of the stadium. I guaranty you that the NFL hired investigators are going through that video as we write. If someone let the air out, then they will get caught.

We've figured out the difference is due to the temperature difference between the office where the balls are checked to the outdoor temperature was on it's way to 35F that night.

Wishful thinking.

Anyway, I was at Gillette in Foxboro at the beginning of the season and a fifty dollar bill came floating out of the sky (I assume from the nosebleed seats) and landed in my friends lap next to me. She held it up looked at it, then stuck it in her pocket. About 40 minutes later a stadium employee came over and asked her for the money back. I was told that as a condition to host the World Cup a few years ago, Kraft was required to install a video system that can basically see what's going on in all of the stadium. I guaranty you that the NFL hired investigators are going through that video as we write. If someone let the air out, then they will get caught.

You can't guarantee that.

The patriot fans are like obama fans, they will never stop making up excuses for their team, instead of holding them to a legal standard.

Back