FYI, a flight in a 2-33 with tow to 3000 feet is some 20 minutes. So 9 flights.

For anybody interested, I just discovered that there's a new glider operation not far from me-- in Superior, AZ. Winch launches instead of aerotows.

My
That would Suck if we only logged flights. My annual average for glider flights is usually 4 hours per flight. Frequently logging as much as 6 to 8 hours per flight. I tend to do about 80-100hrs of glider flying per year.

I suspect what he means is that for the rating, they only count flights. i.e. they require 10 (or 20) solo flights. Which means on my 1st solo when I got off tow and climbed to 11,000ft just under cloud base. I was thinking ok now what. I still need 9 more solo flights, But I could have flown the rest of the afternoon. So I pulled the spoilers landed and did it again.

I tend to be a horrible glider instructor (maybe a better soaring instructor) because when we get off tow and find lift I have a hard time not teaching them how to climb, making what should be a 6 minute flight into a hour+ flight, with other students waiting on the ground for their turn. Or the person I am flying with still needing TO and land practice

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
My instructor was that way. Only worse, he wasn’t letting me fly because I wasn’t good at staying in the thermals. So he wasn’t a great soaring instructor either, since I didn’t get much practice with him assisting verbally.

For anybody interested, I just discovered that there's a new glider operation not far from me-- in Superior, AZ. Winch launches instead of aerotows.

That is a beautiful winch... I met with them during the SSA Convention in Reno a couple of years back.

Back