Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
Good Afternoon,
I’m interested in adding a glider rating to my commercial ticket and wanted to obtain some insight from those who may have added on a glider rating to their record.

1. Which Glider school location did you attend?
2. Did you earn a private or commercial glider add on?
3. Does it truly make you a better stick and rudder pilot?
4. What are the pros and cons?
Would you recommend I go for the private or commercial add on?

Thank you!

Good Afternoon,
I’m interested in adding a glider rating to my commercial ticket and wanted to obtain some insight from those who may have added on a glider rating to their record.

Thank you!
1 https://www.tampabaysoaring.com/
2. Private
3. Yes
4. Huh?
5. Go for the one you want. I did private, but I sat through the oral for the guy in front of me doing a commercial, and I could have easily passed it.

If I already had a commercial ticket, I'd go for the commercial glider. You'd save a checkride and flights if you ever decided to get the glider instructor rating. As for stick and rudder skills, it's like anything else flying-wise: all additional experience adds to skills. I don't see any cons if you've got the time and money. Being a glider pilot focuses your mind on actually flying the aircraft and not so much on managing systems.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you!
1. Driggs Idaho, a long long time ago
2. Private, added Commerical/CFIG later when had access to a glider and CFIG.
3. All flight experience will make you a better pilot
4.1 Pros.
a. Energy management
b. Better understanding of the Rules
c. Better understanding of non-airplane operation.
d. Meet some really freindly, interesting and experienced people
e. Better understanding or weather
f. Better understanding of Aerodynamic
g. Better understanding of Systems
h. more ratings on your certificate always look good,
j. can some case be a cheap way to add hours once you learn to stay up for hours at time. My average glider flight costs me about $40/hr.
i. probably more I haven't mentioned

4.2 Cons.
a. It takes some time, but not a lot to add on the ratting
b. It takes some money to do it.
c. you might like it, then it may cost you a lot more time and money.

5. your call on how much time and money you want to spend on it. Like I said above more ratings on your certificate always look good.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
1600+ hrs of glider time. 20hrs in the past 2 weeks.

I owned a soaring operation for three years. I'm a CFIG. I did a lot of add-ons & every pilot without exception were thrilled to experience soaring. It was a lot of fun. When COVID came along we sold our Blanik and moved on.

I too would recommend going for the commercial.

I took a few lessons and will go for my commercial glider add-on. It’s amazing that you can talk to your copilot without a headset. It’s something new to learn. Every landing is a precision landing. I’m still learning so what more can I say?

Some things though, if there are no thermals, you’ll come in pretty quickly for a landing. My glider school only operates on the weekends and subject to weather. So lots of days you cannot fly. I’m excited to learn more though.

I added my Private when I was in college with a local club, and my commercial when I got a job at a now-defunct commercial glider operation. I only did them separately because I didn’t have a commercial certificate when I started. But as long as you’ve got a commercial certificate already, the only significant difference is 20 solo flights for the commercial vs 10 solo flights for the private. And unless you really hate it, the extra ten flights are easy.

1) Many places to do it. Either close by or during a vacation trip. I did my Commercial at a place where I was flying near me. I did my CFIG while visiting relatives in Hawaii. SO ROUGH. :D

2) If you have a Commercial, do the Commercial-G. The difference is 10 solo flights. Oh darn, you have to fly a bit more. :D

3) YES. Flying a glider is energy management. And it will help your patterns and landings also.

4) Pro - GREAT FUN. One con, you will want to buy a glider. :D

FYI, I have been to 18,000 feet in a glider and did a 6 hour 2 minute duration flight. WAY FUN.

I appreciate all of the responses. I’ve reached out to a few school and trying to get the ball rolling. In the meantime , what are some books I could purchase to get a jump start on knowledge for training? Thank you all!

If you’re already a private pilot and doing this as an add-on, then Sporty’s has a “transition to gliders” online course that I took, it was good.

To pile-on what others have said, I did my glider add-on after my Instrument Rating.
And I’m glad I did it, because flying IFR all the time I was always flying “by the numbers” and Gliding got me back into more Stick and Rudder skills

If you’re already a private pilot and doing this as an add-on, then Sporty’s has a “transition to gliders” online course that I took, it was good.
I have my commercial so I’m going to complete the commercial add-on course. Ok I’ll check it out and get a jumpstart on it. Thank you

To pile-on what others have said, I did my glider add-on after my Instrument Rating.
And I’m glad I did it, because flying IFR all the time I was always flying “by the numbers” and Gliding got me back into more Stick and Rudder skills
This is good information to know! Thank you

when you went through the course, what was the ballpark figure you spent and were you already rated?
I didn’t go through the course, but the cost at a local glider club in my area is brain dead expensive and I tossed the idea in the trash rather quickly. There is a very economical option a 2+ hour drive away. But 5 hours round trip + the cost of the instruction + the practical test is at least $600.

Last edited:
The only reason to not do commercial now would be if you want to save it to do in lieu of a BFR in two years. If you can pass the private check ride, you can pass the commercial.

I appreciate all of the responses. I’ve reached out to a few school and trying to get the ball rolling. In the meantime , what are some books I could purchase to get a jump start on knowledge for training? Thank you all!
FAA glider handbook is free for download

Just saw someone else posted it too. But all FAA materials are available online for free. Add to your ebook phone iPad etc.

There are Soaring Businesses that provide the training in about 1 week, with an examiner on staff. You learn the requirements for the check ride. You have not learned the art. That can take a couple of seasons.

If a club is close and efficient, you could complete the add-on in one season. Examiners get real busy in the fall with everyone trying to get the check ride complete before the operation closes down for the winter. Living in the Northeast, we are normally done by Thanksgiving and don't dig out the hangar until 1 April. A lot of members would travel to Seminole Soaring in Florida or other Florida clubs to complete the training and check ride. There are also places in NM, AZ and CA that do that.

Rather expensive rating in my view.
In what way?

You only need 10 solo flights for private add on, 20 for commercial. Shouldn't take too long for a currently flying power pilot to solo.

If you want expensive, try Helicopter add on. :D

I didn’t go through the course, but the cost at a local glider club in my area is brain dead expensive and I tossed the idea in the trash rather quickly. There is a very economical option a 2+ hour drive away. But 5 hours round trip + the cost of the instruction + the practical test is at least $600.
Which is less than 4 hour C-172 rental. And a whole lot more fun.

In what way?

You only need 10 solo flights for private add on, 20 for commercial. Shouldn't take too long for a currently flying power pilot to solo.

If you want expensive, try Helicopter add on. :D
Hours isn’t what makes the glider fly. Money makes it fly. Generally a glider rating is a low value / cost rating. You you are a rating collector, I suppose it’s a bargain.

1. You don’t get many thermals on an overcast day.
2. You don’t see many glider ops in winter.
3. No night operations.
4. You still need 3 takeoffs and landing within previous 90 days for a passenger.
5. You have to have available and pay for a tow plane and pilot.

Last edited:
For getting the rating, you only count flights, not hours.

It depends, there are operations where they can fly year round.

Not a big deal.

You can do short pattern tows.

Or winch launch or self launching glider.

Hours isn’t what makes the glider fly. Money makes it fly. Generally a glider rating is a low value / cost rating. You you are a rating collector, I suppose it’s a bargain.

1. You don’t get many thermals on an overcast day.
2. You don’t see many glider ops in winter.
3. No night operations.
4. You still need 3 takeoffs and landing within previous 90 days for a passenger.
5. You have to have available and pay for a tow plane and pilot.
If you want to do the same things with gliders that you do with airplanes, I would agree. But if your goal is flying gliders and doing “glider stuff”, it’s an entirely different value/cost ratio.

For getting the rating, you only count flights, not hours.

It depends, there are operations where they can fly year round.

Not a big deal.

You can do short pattern tows.

Or winch launch or self launching glider.
The FAA disagrees with you on only logging flights and not hours.
2) If the applicant has logged at least 40 hours of flight time in a heavier-than-air aircraft, the applicant must log at least 3 hours of flight time in a glider in the areas of operation listed in § 61.107(b)(6) of this part,…..

Last edited:
The FAA disagrees with you on logging flights and no hours.
2) If the applicant has logged at least 40 hours of flight time in a heavier-than-air aircraft, the applicant must log at least 3 hours of flight time in a glider in the areas of operation listed in § 61.107(b)(6) of this part,…..
Doesn’t appear that way to me…

61.63 Additional aircraft ratings (other than for ratings at the airline transport pilot certification level).​

(a) General. For an additional aircraft rating on a pilot certificate, other than for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must meet the requirements of this section appropriate to the additional aircraft rating sought.
(b) Additional aircraft category rating. A person who applies to add a category rating to a pilot certificate:
(1) Must complete the training and have the applicable aeronautical experience.
(2) Must have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.
(3) Must pass the practical test.
(4) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, weight-shift-control aircraft, powered parachute, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.

Doesn’t appear that way to me…

Your (b)(1) Must complete the training and have the applicable aeronautical experience.

61.109(f)(2) requires logging 3 hours of training.

If the applicant has logged at least 40 hours of flight time in a heavier-than-air aircraft, the applicant must log at least 3 hours of flight time in a glider in the areas of operation listed in § 61.107(b)(6) of this part,…..

6) For a glider category rating:

(i) Preflight preparation;

(ii) Preflight procedures;

(iii) Airport and gliderport operations;

(iv) Launches and landings;

(v) Performance speeds;

(vi) Soaring techniques;

(vii) Performance maneuvers;

(viii) Navigation;

(ix) Slow flight and stalls;

(x) Emergency operations; and

(xi) Postflight procedures.

Last edited:
Your (b)(1) Must complete the training and have the applicable aeronautical experience.

61.109(f)(2) requires logging 3 hours of training.
Only if you don’t already have a Commercial certificate.
(f) For a glider rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a glider category rating must log at least—

Only if you don’t already have a Commercial certificate.
a) General. For an additional aircraft rating on a pilot certificate, other than for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must meet the requirements of this section appropriate to the additional aircraft rating sought.
(b) Additional aircraft category rating. A person who applies to add a category rating to a pilot certificate:

61.129 (f) For a glider rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a glider category rating must log at least—

(1) 25 hours of flight time as a pilot in a glider

You have to log hours for either certificate add on.

a) General. For an additional aircraft rating on a pilot certificate, other than for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must meet the requirements of this section appropriate to the additional aircraft rating sought.

61.129 (f) For a glider rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a glider category rating must log at least—

(1) 25 hours of flight time as a pilot in a glider

You have to log hours for either certificate add on.
Not unless you’re applying for a Commercial Certificate.

Not unless you’re applying for a Commercial Certificate.
True you don’t need 25 hours of glider flight time applying for a glider category add on to a private. You must have 3 hours.

The FAA disagrees with you on only logging flights and not hours.
That would Suck if we only logged flights. My annual average for glider flights is usually 4 hours per flight. Frequently logging as much as 6 to 8 hours per flight. I tend to do about 80-100hrs of glider flying per year.

I suspect what he means is that for the rating, they only count flights. i.e. they require 10 (or 20) solo flights. Which means on my 1st solo when I got off tow and climbed to 11,000ft just under cloud base. I was thinking ok now what. I still need 9 more solo flights, But I could have flown the rest of the afternoon. So I pulled the spoilers landed and did it again.

I tend to be a horrible glider instructor (maybe a better soaring instructor) because when we get off tow and find lift I have a hard time not teaching them how to climb, making what should be a 6 minute flight into a hour+ flight, with other students waiting on the ground for their turn. Or the person I am flying with still needing TO and land practice

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

That would Suck if we only logged flights. My annual average for glider flights is usually 4 hours per flight. Frequently logging as much as 6 to 8 hours per flight. I tend to do about 80-100hrs of glider flying per year.

I suspect what he means is that for the rating, they only count flights. i.e. they require 10 (or 20) solo flights. Which means on my 1st solo when I got off tow and climbed to 11,000ft just under cloud base. I was thinking ok now what. I still need 9 more solo flights, But I could have flown the rest of the afternoon. So I pulled the spoilers landed and did it again.

I tend to be a horrible glider instructor (maybe a better soaring instructor) because when we get off tow and find lift I have a hard time not teaching them how to climb, making what should be a 6 minute flight into a hour+ flight, with other students waiting on the ground for their turn. Or the person I am flying with still needing TO and land practice

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
I always hated the sound of bowling balls hitting the bottom of the glider when I had to cut the flight short on days like that. ;)

Back