Flying KCXO to KHND

Nick Geber

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
NIckG
I’m flying home on Wednesday from a trip to visit family in Conroe (KCXO). I flew here with a bathroom stop in Roswell. I’m thinking about stopping in El Paso on the way back as opposed to Roswell. Stay a little further south of the ABQ-FLG line which always seems to welcome me with loads of pop up TS cells.

Any advice? Never flown to KELP. Mooney Ovation 3 - Would prefer 10k- 14k can cruise 18-19+ if absolutely needed but not my preference (NA bird). IFR.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.png
    IMG_0155.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0154.png
    IMG_0154.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 11
I landed in El Paso once flying my Cherokee 180 from Houston to the Grand Canyon during Christmas break a couple of years ago. Ended up stuck there for a couple of nights due to a rare snow event. I enjoyed my unexpected stay. Folks at the airport and in town were very friendly, there are some nice views of El Paso and Juarez from the mountain the city is built around, and the food was dee-lish.

One surprise I experienced: I took off to the south, and the border is very close. I asked ATC if they were going to vector me away from Mexico, and they explained to me that they have a shared airspace agreement with Mexico and promised that I would not be shot down if I briefly crossed the border per their instructions. :D

My Cherokee didn't have any problems with density altitude, due to the cold December temperatures. I'm sure I'd see very different performance in late August, but your bird has a lot more performance than mine.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw KDNA but the runway is closed through October. How about Las Cruces (KLRU)?
Lets double check that, the many times it was closed in the past, there was a legal provision to use the parallel taxiway and the airport was completely normal in every other way.

Lets double check that, the many times it was closed in the past, there was a legal provision to use the parallel taxiway and the airport was completely normal in every other way.
Yes! you are correct! Taxiway A good for TO/L

I stop at KLRU - Frost Aviation there has self service fuel for $4.99 and they're just friendly folk. I fly my pa28-180 from Las Vegas to Texas regularly at 11,500 - much prefer the I10 corridor over I40, though the views on I40 from ABQ to FLG are nicer.

The pop ups have been really popping up along the ABQ-FLG line lately. I am hearing thunder starting mid-afternoon for the last couple weeks.

Either route, early morning will be your best bet.

Back