FiOS vs. Comcast Internet

JGoodish

Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
I've been a long-time Comcast residential Internet customer (close to 15 years including the AT&T Broadband days), and for the most part they've provided excellent Internet service. No issue with speeds, no issue with reliability. However, they keep raising the rates. I've gone from paying $45/month over the years to $80/month for a mid-range tier of service, and every year it keeps increasing. Every year I call and threaten to cancel, and they give me a "deal," but the deal is still results in a monthly increase over the deal from last year.

Even though I don't especially care for Verizon, within the past year or so they built out FiOS in my neighborhood and appear to be offering more competitive rates than Comcast. I'm not interested in TV or phone, just Internet. However, I am concerned about performance and reliability. Any comments? Anything that I'm missing in considering a switch from Comcast?

Thanks,
JKG

I've had FiOS for about 8 years now and love it. I think I had one small outage during that time.

I really hate comcast.. but the speeds I get I simply can't get anywhere else..86 down/17up

speed.JPG

Absolutely no comparison FiOS is amazing.. With comcast you are on a shared circuit so when everyone gets home there is a degradation in service. You will not experience that with FiOS. I make it a point when I setup new offices to put them in a place where Verizon fios business is available.

Hi JK.
I had Triple Fios, digital, for a couple of years and reliability wise they are about on the same level as Time Warner.
The game is the same they will try to increase your payment and in some ways they are worse than TW in the sense that they have multiple layers of attendants that make it close to impossible to resolve an issue. Talk to one, they will tell you the problem is resolved, next month is back and on and on.
If you get a service without signing up for a 2 year contract, month to month, you will likely find out that you will be signed up to a service with a 2 year contract and even with written Emails received from them stating that fact, it is likely to take years before you resolve it, if you decide to terminate service before the 2 years are up.
[FONT=&quot]What we need a is Free internet for every household, like the over the air TV is / was. TV[/FONT]

In my area, FIOS sticks a wireless router inside your house. I'm not sure if I would have complete control of that wireless access. The FIOS folks have never answered my question about running a small home server being within the TOS.

I'm staying with RCN for now. The TOS explicitly allow a small home server provided that it doesn't hog bandwidth. I also get, in effect, a static IP. Technically it's a dynamic IP, but the DHCP server is configured to always give the same IP to my cable router.

Hi JK.
The game is the same they will try to increase your payment and in some ways they are worse than TW in the sense that they have multiple layers of attendants that make it close to impossible to resolve an issue. Talk to one, they will tell you the problem is resolved, next month is back and on and on.

Pretty much all of these companies play the same game, but what's really irritating about Comcast is that they basically force me to subscribe to (and pay for) TV service even though I don't use it. They'll let me cancel the TV service, but then they jack up the Internet rate as a penalty, to the point that it's less expensive to continue to pay $20-$25+/month for the TV service "bundle." They REALLY don't want folks dropping the TV service.

JKG

In my area, FIOS sticks a wireless router inside your house. I'm not sure if I would have complete control of that wireless access. The FIOS folks have never answered my question about running a small home server being within the TOS.

I'm staying with RCN for now. The TOS explicitly allow a small home server provided that it doesn't hog bandwidth. I also get, in effect, a static IP. Technically it's a dynamic IP, but the DHCP server is configured to always give the same IP to my cable router.

I have no issues running anything in my home with FiOS. I had FiOS change my internet handoff from Coax to Ethernet and use my Juniper SSG5 as my firewall with the FiOS Actiontec router being used as a MoCA bridge only for the STB's.

The only downside is that FiOS will not provide a Static IP address with anything but Business Class service so you will need to you DDNS.

It is my understanding that the FiOS wireless router is optional. There's no way I'd permit Verizon to install their own wireless router in my home.

Over the past couple of months, Comcast has been persistently robo-calling my home phone with automated messages telling me that I need to upgrade my owner-supplied cable modem to a DOCSIS 3 cable modem. Given their persistence, there must be some benefit to them for me to upgrade, but I'm quite happy with the performance of my current cable modem and have no desire to spend money on a new one.

JKG

Pretty much all of these companies play the same game, but what's really irritating about Comcast is that they basically force me to subscribe to (and pay for) TV service even though I don't use it. They'll let me cancel the TV service, but then they jack up the Internet rate as a penalty, to the point that it's less expensive to continue to pay $20-$25+/month for the TV service "bundle." They REALLY don't want folks dropping the TV service.

JKG

And the cost of Internet service will continue to climb as folks dump the bloated cable packages for streaming. The cable companies want to make more and more. With the vertical integration of Comcast/NBC/Universal, expect content to be even more restricted to traditional TV and away from streaming. Regional sports nets are a great example of a service that could get a premium on streaming, but it won't happen as they make more money bundling it.

News this week was tha Comcast (I think, maybe it was TWC) made more money from their internet service than they make from traditional cable TV. That trend will accelerate.

I have the base 20/20 package from FIOS. It has worked pretty much flawlessly for me. Far better than I can say the cable TV based system (Cox alas, not comcast) ever worked or the CenturyLink DSL that I have at my other house. Our biggest gripe is that they dropped the weather channel from the TV lineup.

I have the base 20/20 package from FIOS. It has worked pretty much flawlessly for me. Far better than I can say the cable TV based system (Cox alas, not comcast) ever worked or the CenturyLink DSL that I have at my other house. Our biggest gripe is that they dropped the weather channel from the TV lineup.

Interesting. I have a Cox business circuit and it glitches about once a year. Response is fast, and I'm usually back up very quickly. Longest I was down was when we had the derecho a few years ago, not that it would have made much difference as main power was also out for 4 days and all of Verizon's services in the 'hood were also down 3-4 days (copper and fios). The asymmetrical speeds are not a big problem for me.

I switched from Comcast to FIOS about 8 years ago. Still have Comcast for our office. No comparison. FIOS hands down. Both are 75/75 on paper. FIOS is 75/75 in real life, Comcast is usually closer to 10-15. It's not really cheaper around here, both are similar.

Customer service for both is putrid.

I had FIOS. They never got it to work right. Their customer service is atrocious.

I have several comcast business connections. Few outages, prompt service if they happen.

Comcast now has more data customer than video customers.

Y'all are just jealous of my fixed wireless 5M/1M rural service. I can feel it. Haha.

Absolutely no comparison FiOS is amazing.. With comcast you are on a shared circuit so when everyone gets home there is a degradation in service. You will not experience that with FiOS.

That's a pernicious myth. Verizon FiOS is provided on either a BPON or GPON network. BPON splits the fiber between a maximum of 32 users. GPON splits it between up to 64 users. You're on a "shared circuit" with both companies, and each of them insure that provisioning is meeting advertised speeds, even during peak usage hours. Don't believe me? Even the FCC shows that Comcast provides about 101%-103% of advertised speed, and Verizon FiOS about 110%-111%. (For those unfortunate enough to be on Verizon DSL, they get about 82%-89% of advertised "up to" speeds.) FCC chart:

cv-chart-2.jpg

To say there is "absolutely no comparison" is like saying there is absolutely no comparison between an Acura and a Lexus.

That's a pernicious myth. Verizon FiOS is provided on either a BPON or GPON network. BPON splits the fiber between a maximum of 32 users. GPON splits it between up to 64 users. You're on a "shared circuit" with both companies, and each of them insure that provisioning is meeting advertised speeds, even during peak usage hours.

The telcos have used the same FUD about "shared" bandwidth for years to compete with cable. As you note, the reality is that it's all shared at some point, and if the infrastructure downstream is inadequate, it becomes a bottleneck.

No doubt there are areas where both cable and FiOS are under-provisioned or experience other operational issues, but for me, Comcast has been consistently reliable. That makes switching a bigger risk, even though I could probably lock in a lower contract rate with FiOS for a couple of years and save a few hundred dollars. It appears that Verizon only offers a 14-day cancellation window for FiOS contracts, and that isn't long enough to effectively evaluate the service, in my opinion.

JKG

For those unfortunate enough to be on Verizon DSL, they get about 82%-89% of advertised "up to" speeds.)

And thats 89% of a small number. Otoh DSL has worked for me during a local power outage as the equipment is generator protected at the telco building and not up on some pole in the neighborhood.

Interesting. I have a Cox business circuit and it glitches about once a year. Response is fast, and I'm usually back up very quickly. Longest I was down was when we had the derecho a few years ago, not that it would have made much difference as main power was also out for 4 days and all of Verizon's services in the 'hood were also down 3-4 days (copper and fios). The asymmetrical speeds are not a big problem for me.

Well, I have had nothing but issues with Cox whose stock stupid answer is to send out a technician when the problem is clearly never with the local equipment. I got to the point of just hanging up on the CSR when they suggested they would send someone out and call back until I got one who said they'd check the line provisioning in the computer.

Compound this with the fact that the cable plant in my area is absolute crap. While part of the problem is the 200' local drop from the street to my house, the fact is that the signal levels are too low at the street. The morons put an amplifier at my house (just amplifies the noise) rather than fixing the problem out on the main branch. I'm quite familiar with all this, I ran a fiber and coax plant for the seven campus state university system up in NJ.

Well, I have had nothing but issues with Cox whose stock stupid answer is to send out a technician when the problem is clearly never with the local equipment. I got to the point of just hanging up on the CSR when they suggested they would send someone out and call back until I got one who said they'd check the line provisioning in the computer.

Compound this with the fact that the cable plant in my area is absolute crap. While part of the problem is the 200' local drop from the street to my house, the fact is that the signal levels are too low at the street. The morons put an amplifier at my house (just amplifies the noise) rather than fixing the problem out on the main branch. I'm quite familiar with all this, I ran a fiber and coax plant for the seven campus state university system up in NJ.

Maybe it's business rather than consumer support?

When I called last week (for the first problem in >18 months) the tech took a look at the signal levels straight-off, noted that there was a level issue along my block of street, indicated that it was likely a line amp, and had it fixed within an hour. No need to roll trucks to my place (they may have sent a tech to the amp, but not my site). Follow-up the next day. Did have a provisioning issue at one point, again quickly resolved by phone.

In any event, it's far better than ANY interaction I ever had with Verizon (I called the State Corp. Commission one time when they stood me up for 2 appointments).

Great question.

Number one, I don't need it nor want it, because I have my own WLAN router and certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of using theirs. Second, it represents a huge security risk, especially if they have administrative access to it (and how could I be sure that they don't?). And third, one of the biggest annoyances I ever had with VZW was their penchant to control the local content and configuration of mobile phones THAT I PAID FOR simply because I used them on their network. So, I'm not willing to permit Verizon to install or control LAN equipment in my house, thank you very much.

I worked at VZ for almost 10 years, including during the early days of FiOS. At the time, they were in "union avoidance" mode with FiOS, and we're using contractors for the field work and largely non-union support elsewhere. I'm not sure if or how that has changed, but at the time, I had heard many good things about the FiOS product and support relative to the traditional LEC organization.

JKG

Great question.

Number one, I don't need it nor want it, because I have my own WLAN router and certainly don't want to pay for the privilege of using theirs. Second, it represents a huge security risk, especially if they have administrative access to it (and how could I be sure that they don't?). And third, one of the biggest annoyances I ever had with VZW was their penchant to control the local content and configuration of mobile phones THAT I PAID FOR simply because I used them on their network. So, I'm not willing to permit Verizon to install or control LAN equipment in my house, thank you very much.

I worked at VZ for almost 10 years, including during the early days of FiOS. At the time, they were in "union avoidance" mode with FiOS, and we're using contractors for the field work and largely non-union support elsewhere. I'm not sure if or how that has changed, but at the time, I had heard many good things about the FiOS product and support relative to the traditional LEC organization.

JKG
Of course, you can diagnose any issues with the service and prove that it's the network and not your CPE that is the problem.

I agree about VZW and locking out certain features on iPhones. They were successfully sued and now they don't charge "extra" for using the built-in hotspot.

I've been a long-time Comcast residential Internet customer (close to 15 years including the AT&T Broadband days), and for the most part they've provided excellent Internet service. No issue with speeds, no issue with reliability. However, they keep raising the rates. I've gone from paying $45/month over the years to $80/month for a mid-range tier of service, and every year it keeps increasing. Every year I call and threaten to cancel, and they give me a "deal," but the deal is still results in a monthly increase over the deal from last year.

Even though I don't especially care for Verizon, within the past year or so they built out FiOS in my neighborhood and appear to be offering more competitive rates than Comcast. I'm not interested in TV or phone, just Internet. However, I am concerned about performance and reliability. Any comments? Anything that I'm missing in considering a switch from Comcast?

Thanks,
JKG

I had FIOS since they came out in my neighborhood. Loved it. Hate verizon now 110%. They will "lose" your equipment that you send back, and threaten to report you to a collection agency until you send them the tracking number. I had to file bankruptcy in 2009 when the economy tanked and took my job with it. Had an account that was behind, was included in my BK and cancelled, and they're still trying to collect on it even though their BK department sees that it was included. Beware.

Of course, you can diagnose any issues with the service and prove that it's the network and not your CPE that is the problem.

Yes, I can, but honestly I don't recall Comcast ever attempting to blame the CPE during the few times I've had to call them. I've been through that routine with support call centers for other technology products, though, and it's beyond frustrating.

I am curious as to why they're being so persistent with the robo-calls trying to get me to upgrade my cable modem to a DOCSIS 3 device. I have a suspicion that there's going to be a hard mandate at the end of that effort, but I'm going to hold out for as long as I can.

I agree about VZW and locking out certain features on iPhones. They were successfully sued and now they don't charge "extra" for using the built-in hotspot.

I've never had an iPhone on Verizon, but with BlackBerry and flip phones, they would push out stupid apps that consumed resources on the phone but which they would prevent you from deleting, then try to pigeonhole you into using their own content delivery system for certain other services. No, they weren't the only carrier who did these things, but in my experience, they were the most militant about it.

JKG

I had FIOS since they came out in my neighborhood. Loved it. Hate verizon now 110%. They will "lose" your equipment that you send back, and threaten to report you to a collection agency until you send them the tracking number. I had to file bankruptcy in 2009 when the economy tanked and took my job with it. Had an account that was behind, was included in my BK and cancelled, and they're still trying to collect on it even though their BK department sees that it was included. Beware.

I suspect that somewhere there's a similar story referencing Comcast. And AT&T. And every other behemoth provider out there. It just goes to show that if you don't become ensnared in the bureaucracy, things could be great.

I'm going to have to determine for certain what savings I would realize from making the switch. Sometimes the devil you don't know isn't worth the risk.

JKG

I believe that makes a big difference. But then, you pay for it too.

Yes. On both counts. I use it for stuff other than "normal" consumer stuff.

I think it was more a Federal regulatory thing, not a specific lawsuit against VZ. It was all wrapped up with the move to tiered plans - essentially they can charge extra on unlimited plans, but not on tiered plans.

I suspect that somewhere there's a similar story referencing Comcast. And AT&T. And every other behemoth provider out there. It just goes to show that if you don't become ensnared in the bureaucracy, things could be great.

I had the same problem with Verizon on returned FIOS crap. It is a systematic fraud they are running.
I have returned lots of equipment with different cable companies and never encountered this type of fraud.

That is exactly why I avoid leased equipment whenever and wherever possible.

I dealt with them after an identity theft issue where they sent it to collections. They were totally and particularly unhelpful, virtually accusing me of "skipping out" (even though I had no connection or nexus with New York where the service was set up - they even spelled my name wrong).

Finally got that resolved after bringing in the State's Attorney office. Then 8 years later Collection agency #1 sold their "uncollected debt" to Collection Agency #2 and either didn't include the case resolution, or agency #2 ignored it. Fortunately, I still had (and still have) the paperwork, and again copied the State's Attorney and FTC on my correspondence. That finally resolved the issue & I have documentation.

I have a very dim view of Verizon.

Ever dealt with Ryanair? :rofl:

I looked at taking them from Frankfurt to London. After I added up the fees, BA was cheaper. Sometimes free is not cheap enough.

I'm not sure i could go back to comcast at least where i live. Not really much of a comparison. Although i did have to add TV at some point to my internet package because the internet + tv was $2 cheaper than just internet by itself.

Back