FiOS vs. Comcast Internet

I'm not sure i could go back to comcast at least where i live. Not really much of a comparison. Although i did have to add TV at some point to my internet package because the internet + tv was $2 cheaper than just internet by itself.

That tells me they're overcharging for Internet as TV rights fees alone per subscriber are at least an order of magnitude higher.

Since it appears that I stand to save at least $30/month for Internet-only service with a 2-year contract, I placed my order for FiOS. I don't have a ONT yet, so they will need to do a full install. I assume that they will need to trench from the street to run the fiber. Does VZ typically install the ONTs inside or outside? If outside, how do they reach the required 120V power?

One thing that I would like to avoid is the purchase or lease of the VZ MoCA router. That means that I would need to have a Cat 5 Ethernet handoff from the ONT, which I understand that most of the ONTs provide (in addition to coax). However, the telephone sales rep didn't know how to order the service without the router, and tried to convince me to let her ship it to me ahead of the install. I declined, telling her to just send it on the truck with the installer. I'm planning to talk with the installer and hopefully end up using my own router. This arrangement will also avoid having me on the hook for the "lost return" should I cancel the service in the future. Has anyone had success with a direct Cat 5 handoff and no Verizon router?

I plan to give Comcast one more shot to be more competitive, but I'm not holding my breath. They jacked up my in-laws' bill by $40/month and weren't willing to reduce it by much UNTIL they received the port-out request for the attached phone number. In-laws told them they missed their opportunity to deal, but I've heard from others that this is the typical m.o. for providers; apparently they don't believe that most folks will carry through on threats to leave.

JKG

My fios is not with the fios router. I have my own pfsense box.

I didn't have my own router when the install occured (right out of college, new house, etc). So i let them install it as is, then called in a few weeks later and had the service office switch the ont to the cat5 interface rather than the coax.

As far as the internet goes, you don't kneed the Verizon (actiontec) router. However if you have FIOS TV service, you will lose some features of the set top boxes (program guide primarily) if you don't have their router present on the network to route the external data to those boxes.

I actually have my own WIFI router connected to the Ethernet ports on the Verizon box.

You guys made me look up FIOS, it's not available in my area! :mad2:
I just signed up for Cox Internet/TV/phone for the beach house and it was basically the same price for all three as just Internet and basic cable. :mad2: I have zero use for a home phone, we'll probably plug one in that has the ringer turned off and use it in case we need to call 911. :dunno:

Google Fiber is about to go live in town but it will be several years until it comes out to the county. Comcast gave me a heck of a deal to stay with them for 2 years once I mentioned GF. Guess the person on the phone doesn't know how to pull up GF coverage maps :)

I assume that they will need to trench from the street to run the fiber.

They plow the fiber from their box to the side of your house. In the process, they conveniently destroy their own copper line and your cable hookup.

Does VZ typically install the ONTs inside or outside? If outside, how do they reach the required 120V power?

1 ugly box on the outside, 1 ugly box on the inside.

They plow the fiber from their box to the side of your house. In the process, they conveniently destroy their own copper line and your cable hookup.

1 ugly box on the outside, 1 ugly box on the inside.

Will they set my house on fire, too, or does that only happen occasionally? :wink2:

I will say that it's now 2 business days before the install date and the underground utilities have not been marked. But there's still time.

JKG

Last edited:
As far as the internet goes, you don't kneed the Verizon (actiontec) router. However if you have FIOS TV service, you will lose some features of the set top boxes (program guide primarily) if you don't have their router present on the network to route the external data to those boxes.

I actually have my own WIFI router connected to the Ethernet ports on the Verizon box.

Ron is correct, the settop boxes access Video on Demand through IP and i'm sure other features as well. The set-top boxes get their Ethernet through MOCA. You can still use your own router on the outside and configure the actiontec as a MOCA bridge only.

Last I looked at the actiontecs (years), they were pretty crappy routers but pretty much the cheapest MOCA bridge you could get and required if you want to use the Verizon Settop boxes.

I only use a verizon cablecard and use my computer as the DVR so i can't say much about setting up the actiontec as a MOCA bridge.

Will they set my house on fire too, or does that only happen occasionally? :wink2:

We leave that to the utility with the radio controlled HVAC cutouts they Iinstalled without owner consent.

The ONT is the ugly outside box.

Inside is the battery backup unit and the router.

Actually for some screwed up reason (I know why actually), they only converted one of my voice lines over to the FIOS. The other remained functional on the copper.

Ron is correct, the settop boxes access Video on Demand through IP and i'm sure other features as well. The set-top boxes get their Ethernet through MOCA. You can still use your own router on the outside and configure the actiontec as a MOCA bridge only.

Last I looked at the actiontecs (years), they were pretty crappy routers but pretty much the cheapest MOCA bridge you could get and required if you want to use the Verizon Settop boxes.

I only use a verizon cablecard and use my computer as the DVR so i can't say much about setting up the actiontec as a MOCA bridge.

I'm only getting Internet, so I don't want the ActionTec router at all, and I'd much prefer the Cat 5 handoff anyway. I don't want to pay for their router, don't want to worry about them "losing" it when I return it, and don't want to use it. If the installer won't install without it, he will probably be sent on his way without completing the install. I'm not going to let them install anything on my computers, either, but I'm not sure if they normally do anything other than verify external connectivity via web browser.

JKG

I'm only getting Internet, so I don't want the ActionTec router at all, and I'd much prefer the Cat 5 handoff anyway. I don't want to pay for their router, don't want to worry about them "losing" it when I return it, and don't want to use it. If the installer won't install without it, he will probably be sent on his way without completing the install. I'm not going to let them install anything on my computers, either, but I'm not sure if they normally do anything other than verify external connectivity via web browser.

JKG

I would think the ONT should be installed near your existing phone demarc as they'll want to run a phone line (or have it near for future service) to plug into the house phone lines. So you may already have your own router nearby that location as well. If it is not, that may be where the tech just leaves the cat5 dangling and the rest is up to you from there.

I would think the ONT should be installed near your existing phone demarc as they'll want to run a phone line (or have it near for future service) to plug into the house phone lines. So you may already have your own router nearby that location as well. If it is not, that may be where the tech just leaves the cat5 dangling and the rest is up to you from there.

In my case, the existing router is at the demarc inside the house, so connecting and testing at that point should be no problem. I will be here when the install happens, so I don't necessarily expect problems working with the installer. Comcast's techs were always very good and accommodating, but I have less confidence in the consistency from Verizon.

The reason that I'm asking about the ONT, etc. is that my basement is finished and the demarc point as along a wall directly behind a standard 2' 8" door (along with the electric service panel). There is perhaps 4 inches of clearance behind the door. There also isn't much room to fish wires down from the outside, but I suspect that there should be enough. The existing ingress/egress for the electric, telco, cable is above that door but mostly inaccessible except for a one-inch or so gap between the door jamb and the wall. I'm assume they've dealt with similar in other homes, I'm just trying to prep the best I can. I get nervous when other people start drilling and digging on my property.

My neighborhood was "wired" for FiOS about a year ago or so (conduit and vaults in the ground). However, I have yet to find a neighbor who has FiOS service.

JKG

In my case, the existing router is at the demarc inside the house, so connecting and testing at that point should be no problem. I will be here when the install happens, so I don't necessarily expect problems working with the installer. Comcast's techs were always very good and accommodating, but I have less confidence in the consistency from Verizon.

The reason that I'm asking about the ONT, etc. is that my basement is finished and the demarc point as along a wall directly behind a standard 2' 8" door (along with the electric service panel). There is perhaps 4 inches of clearance behind the door. There also isn't much room to fish wires down from the outside, but I suspect that there should be enough. The existing ingress/egress for the electric, telco, cable is above that door but mostly inaccessible except for a one-inch or so gap between the door jamb and the wall. I'm assume they've dealt with similar in other homes, I'm just trying to prep the best I can. I get nervous when other people start drilling and digging on my property.

My neighborhood was "wired" for FiOS about a year ago or so (conduit and vaults in the ground). However, I have yet to find a neighbor who has FiOS service.

JKG

My installation isn't a good analogy as my ONT and it's UPS are sitting in a closet at the end of the row of townhouses and a conduit runs from there to my garage with just the coax & a cat5. Of the peoples i've seen thus far, the UPS for the ONT is right on the other side of the wall near a power plug. You're probably looking at an minimum of 2 cords (Cat5e and UPS), existing phone can probably be reused, going through you're wall since you could claim you have no need for the coax.

Now if you really-really need to save a cable, if your phone line is a cat5 (like mine was) you can split it into 2x two-pairs and get a 100Mb over 4 wires and 4 wires for phone through one cat5 run.

I've only dealt with an onsite twice from FIOS. Once was the initial installation and a second was a cablecard "install". Neither really was much a challenge to really evaluate their performance or ability.

Nit pick. There's no such thing as a "Cat 5" interface. There's an Ethernet interface. Cat 5 is a cable standard.

I deal with one corporate FIOS customer. They just plug their router into the ethernet port on the ONT. Even the residential ones tend to have this port. I've not tried to see if it's "live" or not without being specifically configured, but I'm pretty sure you CAN get it enabled on residential lines as well.

Tons of information on the FIOS customer forums.

Now if they'd just get off their posterior and turn up IPv6.

Nit pick. There's no such thing as a "Cat 5" interface. There's an Ethernet interface. Cat 5 is a cable standard.

Actually, the physical interface would be RJ45 for the typical Cat 5 installation, and the phrase "Cat 5 handoff" accurately describes the arrangement that I'm seeking. I point this out only because we're picking nits.

My understanding from the Verizon forums is that the installer will call in to have the desired interface configured and enabled during installation. Typically this is the coax interface for residential installations, but I see no reason why they can't simply activate the Cat 5 from the get-go. I guess I'll find out soon.

Thanks,
JKG

I.... I can't even believe this is a question. Fiber vs cable for about the same price? It's not even a decision. TAKE MY MONEY!

Verizon advertises that FiOS is available in my area. Hah! I'm on an airpark in the middle of the Arizona Outback. My internet is crappy DSL and I've been told we're lucky to have that.
Paul
Salome, AZ

Verizon advertises that FiOS is available in my area. Hah! I'm on an airpark in the middle of the Arizona Outback. My internet is crappy DSL and I've been told we're lucky to have that.
Paul
Salome, AZ

Oh, the first time they will admit that they don't have it available is when the installer is at your front door.

They will offer you a MiFi instead :wink2:

You absolutely can have them do an ethernet handoff vs MOCA. It works quite well. The actiontec is a huge POS.

Back