FFS. I need a new hobby.

The tractor is the correct color.
Sigh... I come from a red-tractor family, but all of our red tractor brands are now gone. :(

Plus, Deere is making some really nice stuff. I've been lusting after a 1025R (which it looks like this might be?), but I'm probably gonna keep tinkering on my last red tractor for a while, maybe even buy one of the later produced models to keep going for a while while I build up my 3-point attachment collection.

Sigh... I come from a red-tractor family, but all of our red tractor brands are now gone. :(

Plus, Deere is making some really nice stuff. I've been lusting after a 1025R (which it looks like this might be?), but I'm probably gonna keep tinkering on my last red tractor for a while, maybe even buy one of the later produced models to keep going for a while while I build up my 3-point attachment collection.
You've got me curious... what red tractor brands no longer exist? Massey is still around as part of agco (and has a pretty popular line of compact tractors) , and caseih is even using the farmall name again on compact tractors. Graham bradley... cockshutt...haas... that's all i got.

Mine is 4052R which is the biggest of the baby tractors. It's been kind of an issue because the dealer uses their lawn & garden guys to work on the compact tractors, and from what I've seen those guys aren't qualified to work on lawn mowers. It seems technicians screwing up on things I own is a running theme of my life, but I digress. The tractor itself has been awesome and WAY more capable than I expected. I bought it primarily to run a grain conveyor in the fall, but I wind up using it 3-4 days a week. The hydrostatic transmission is amazing. Teresa even enjoys using it.

The overhead doors in that garage are 2" too short to get in there with my forklift, but that little tractor will just clear with the rops (and my head) folded down.

The 1 series is a little small for my taste; this one is a little large for some jobs. The 2/3 series i think are the goldilocks lawm/small acreage tractors.

You've got me curious... what red tractor brands no longer exist?
Honda made tractors for a few years in the 90's... 3 cylinder honda diesel. Runs like everything else Honda. Dad bought this from an estate and restored it. Tractor and 12 attachments including front end loader and backhoe for 4k. Not quite what you had in mind but it's red.Screenshot_20241027-104001.png

No, just considering making the switch to get rid of the dual mag. Two years might as well be never.
Use a 3rd party engine shop. We sent two engines off to Columbia in PA (IO550 and O360) and they did full major overhauls in about two months. They do very good work at a fair price. I recommend them!

Re: Camshaft front end picture and possible lobe taper?

If you get one, I want to see if the end face looks vaguely like an end mill or file. There shouldn't be any serious thrust generated in the camshaft, but maybe the lobes are all tapered in the some direction to make the followers rotate in their bores. Remember half the followers are on opposite sides of the engine so they may grind the camshaft lobes to a specific taper direction. Admittedly, this would be a long shot, but it seems likely there is thrust in the camshaft to "end mill" that plug.

Last edited:
Re: Camshaft front end picture and possible lobe taper?

If you get one, I want to see if the end face looks vaguely like an end mill or file. There shouldn't be any serious thrust generated in the camshaft, but maybe the lobes are all tapered in the some direction to make the followers rotate in their bores. Remember half the followers are on opposite sides of the engine so they may grind the camshaft lobes to a specific taper direction. Admittedly, this would be a long shot, but it seems likely there is thrust in the camshaft to "end mill" that plug.

Highly unlikely it is going to come from the cam. There is a thrust surface to keep it in place and the gear driving the governor off the cam is straight cut. If anything, I’d be concerned about the bevel gear that actually drives the governor.

But, that said, there is something unusual about this deal. The shaft that the governor drive gear rides on is always turning in the narrow deck engines and it is retained by the cap that is getting milled in Jim’s engine. So what is different? Perhaps a weak or cracked case in the governor drive area that has went unnoticed?

Given he's already saved a good clip on the teardown labor, i'd chuck the case for a different one and press with the re-assembly. Whether he got had by shoddy worksmanship from the prior IRAN repair, is a sunk cost at this point. I'd def use use loctite on that thing this time around; it's not like not using it during the IRAN (I know, unsbeknownst to him) the first time around did him any favors.

Okay. More progress today. If you ever wondered what in IO-540 looks like blown apart into it's constituent parts, here you go:

IMG_20241027_182854115.jpgIMG_20241027_182900975.jpgIMG_20241027_182847495.jpgIMG_20241027_182910986.jpgIMG_20241027_182905121.jpg

I think I'm to the point I can take the steel parts and cylinders to a machine shop. Everything is still pretty tight; would've been a shame to trade it in to Lycoming. Mainly just need to do NDT and replace a few parts like counterweight bushing, bearings, rings, and valve guides to call it an overhaul.

Found a couple interesting things I'll put in another post...

Last edited:
… Found a couple interesting things I'll put in another post...
I bet you did. I’m wondering if any of those were contributing factors to the failure or the oil analysis.

There was some question about how the parts in the front end go together.

IMG_20241027_115947346_HDR.jpg

Cam endplay is well within new limits. Governor drive shaft to bore is good, as is the idler gear to its shaft, in spite of the apparent wear. Backlash between the two was also correct. The way the gears are beveled means that the idler is thrust back in the direction of the cam. You can see that there is nothing stopping it from coming forward. So why does the shaft try to escape? It's hollow and the aft end is ported to the oil galley to provide oil to the idler gear. This basically makes it a hydraulic piston being forced forward. If it gets free to spin, hydraulic pressure constantly forces it in the cap.

The narrow deck engines have the idler keyed to the shaft, and the shaft spins. The idler turns around 2X the cam speed, so I'm thinking they decided to fix the idler shaft in place to prevent wear on the case. I think it's also splash lubricated, so it doesn't get forced against the cap.

Now the answer everyone has been waiting for....was there loctite?

IMG_20241027_185254524_HDR.jpgIMG_20241027_185425562.jpgIMG_20241027_185506375_HDR.jpg

Nope. I spun that sucker out with one finger on the short end of an allen key.

I also found these suspicious markings on the front bearing shells

IMG_20241027_132043526.jpg

And the back of all the bearings in the engine look like this:

IMG_20241026_191411335_HDR.jpg

I don't know for certain that 08-03 is a production date, but it seems mighty suspicious. The front bearings are Lycoming parts and are stamped 08-05. The rod bearings are Superior parts marked 09-05. I'll be calling Superior tomorrow to see if these are in fact date codes, but it looks to me like he didn't replace the bearings, when he explicitly stated in his log entry & 8130 that he did.

Leaning towards doing all the requirements to be able to call it a major overhaul. Need to talk to a couple machine shops Monday to see what their turn time would be. Wear seems to be pretty non existent, so it'll mainly be just NDT and the required parts. My primary goal is to get back in the air in 2024.
I'll bet a ham sandwich that your primary goal is to get it back together right, so it has a really good chance of giving you way more hours of safe service than last time, and so you'll be comfortable flying in that airplane again. And I'm even more certain you'll do that.

You've got me curious... what red tractor brands no longer exist? Massey is still around as part of agco (and has a pretty popular line of compact tractors) , and caseih is even using the farmall name again on compact tractors. Graham bradley... cockshutt...haas... that's all i got.
Ah, I didn't know they brought Farmall back.

My dad grew up on a farm in rural PA and they had a Farmall H. He went off to Penn State and got a degree in Dairy Science, and then to the University of Wisconsin where he got his master's and PhD. He really took to the research and teaching of dairy science and is well known in the field today, but his dad sold the farm once he knew he wasn't coming back.

Tractor color loyalty is a thing, though, so the whole time I was growing up we had Simplicity lawn tractors, and I've continued that tradition. I have a Simplicity Legacy, the largest model they make, which was also sold as the Agco 2025H and the Massey Ferguson 2925H, and is more of a "Garden tractor" than a SCUT like the 1025R - The front end loader and 3 point hitch are optional, and the FELs are not particularly common whereas the majority of 1025Rs I see have them.

I actually was turned on to the 1025R by a post on a Simplicity forum. Simplicity was really going downhill the last 20 years, after being sold several times. A Legacy XL from 2004 is practically identical to one from 2021, whereas Deere clearly kept improving during that timeframe. At the time the post was made, the 1025R was actually $1K cheaper than the Legacy, and the poster regretted their purchase of the Legacy after their dealings with trying to get the loader for their new tractor - The loader was made by a third party who apparently did not have their act together.

The 1025R appears to have FAR easier attachment switching, with the auto-connect mower decks, front quick hitch, etc. It's really hard to beat the Simplicity's mowing quality though, with its free-floating deck riding on rollers that can do great ballpark stripes in the process. I only stripe my lawn a few times a year, usually alternating which lot line I start on for a nice diamond pattern after the 2nd mow, but what I'm more concerned about is potential scalping with the Deere since the deck isn't free-floating. Maybe even more concerning is the amount of money I would spend on attachments since they're so easy to switch out! I can easily see myself ending up with mower, FEL, snowblower, MCU, broom, grapple, sprayer and spreader and a new garage to store it all in. :rofl:
The 1 series is a little small for my taste; this one is a little large for some jobs. The 2/3 series i think are the goldilocks lawm/small acreage tractors.
TBH, the 1 series would probably look big for what I'd be doing with it. I mean, it's a glorified lawn mower. I was just at the dealer the other day poking around at what they had, and the 2 series looked too big to me. I'm already gonna have to do a lot of tree trimming to be able to fit the ROPS where I normally go, even folded down. The taller I go, the worse that'll be. It does seem like the folks with the 2038R are VERY happy with it though, although the vast majority of 1025R owners are very happy with theirs too, and those who aren't tend to bump up to a 2 series.

Back