Does anyone wear out their exercise equipment?

Gary Ward

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Challenger1
Have you?
I think I am getting to the end of one of my schwinn air dyne bikes?
Thinking maybe I should look around at others after 25 years of Schwinn?
And if you don't mind me asking, what type of exercise equipment do you use?

Last edited:
My first wife wore out the foam on the handgrip of her treadmill. Turns out, coat hangers are tough on that foam....

Current wife wanted a treadmill and, since I knew she was serious about using it long term, I spent the $$$$ on a True commercial unit. That thing has been moved twice in the past 14 years and the original belt is still in great shape and tracks like the day it was installed...no adjustments ever. (and actually has never seen hanging clothes;))

Wore out the belt on a tread mill. Lasted about 4 years.was used on a regular basis. I now live in a smaller condo ,so I now walk outside .

I bought the air dynne used 25+ years ago and the evolution comp used about 20 years ago. Both were like new when I got em.
I used both a lot and then periods of low use. When I start feeling bad I get back on them.
I have one at home and one at the hangar.
Lately I have been using them again 6 days a week.
Lost weight in the last month or so by using them and not eating much.
My back has been hurting now that I am older and am wondering if a different style would be better for me?

I love my schwinns but maybe I should consider a different style of schwin ?
Both are rusty from sweat and one has some slop in the peddles.
TIA for any expertise.

I’ve worn out many components on a few bikes. I’ve yet to crack a frame though.

This is the evolution comp that I just got off of, that is sweat on the black plastic cover and there is slop in the peddles.

I may need to stretch more so my back doesn't hurt?IMG_4902.jpeg

Last edited:
For airdyne bikes you can't beat rogue. Pricey but they last forever and take a pounding.

For indoor spin bikes, Star Trac, hands down. They make commercial gym equipment but you can find them used for a decent price, and they last forever.

Could it be your antique seat design causing your hips to move in such a way as to hurt your seasoned back? If you don’t have a modern bike seat, might want to try that out.

Fatigue cracking on my kurt kinetic trainer. It doesn’t take too long to get up to a million revolutions on a bike you ride often.
IMG_0489.jpeg

Pretty much wore out my body, esp my joints & feet, hiking.
I have to decide which routes to spend my last few micrometers of knee cartilage on, not a lot left.

Attachments

• IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    561.1 KB · Views: 7
Fatigue cracking on my kurt kinetic trainer. It doesn’t take too long to get up to a million revolutions on a bike you ride often.
View attachment 133809

Forgot about those things. On my third for the same reason and I don’t do a whole lot of indoor work anymore that isn’t in a spin class.

My bench is getting worn out. Some brand I’ve never heard of (LineX or XLine) from Costco 24 or 25 years ago, adjustable bench that goes from decline to flat to upright. It’s starting to get a bit wobbly, but being only 14 gauge steel and standard-grade Chinesium hardware I have gotten more than my money’s worth.

Back