Do I claim PTSD to the VA

This is a hard one. But not claiming would support adjustment disorder, resolved......

OTOH the award IS part of your national service.

OP should be talking with this ^^ guy before going any further.

Retired military officer here and have been through the VA system. Like someone else has already posted, if you claim it in the VA system and it’s a diagnosis you think you have, then youre entitled to claim it. The VA medical process will have you seeing doctors that will or will not diagnose you unless you already have something from an outside doctor.

Usually PTSD is attached to something such as anxiety, depression, etc. You can Google the AME handbook and follow the same decision tree the FAA uses to award the medical certificate for PTSD.

Like others have said, how much is it worth to you? If you just want to be at 100% disability yes PTSD can get you there, but usually only under meds. That’s also where the FAA medical disqualification comes in.

So if you want to fly professionally and want to claim PTSD, you’re going to have a long battle getting the FAA medical back. If you’re awarded the VA PTSD disability, then you will have to report it on the FAA medical. Most likely the local AME won’t be able to issue it at that point and OKC will have to review it.

What’s the end game here? 100 VA or professional pilot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the end game here? 100 VA or professional pilot?

It sounds like the OP wants to be made whole for the gauntlet he was forced to walk. Of course he will never be made fully whole, as the mental wounds cannot be compensated for, but at least he could receive some monetary compensation via 100% disability.

The big question for the OP is, what will bring him more joy? Flying without hassle or monetary compensation?

The OP wouldn't necessarily be awarded 100% disability for PTSD. He could be awarded 0%. 70% is the most popular rating among PTSD vets and based on the OP’s description, it’s non combat so I doubt they’d even get that.

Again, even if his total claims add up to 100%, he can fly professionally. I can rattle off at least a dozen friends getting anywhere from 60-100% disability and they all fly for a living. Friend just got out of the CG with an 80% rating and flys helicopters for a living. That’s an extra $1,700 (minimum) tax free a month for just submitting some paperwork to the FAA.

Whatever you do, don't try to be smart by not reporting to the FAA. The agency occasionally runs a Cross-Match with the VA disability file and a number of ex-mil pilots caught criminal charges based on lying about their VA rating.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back