Cheapest way to build retract time

Al Mooney was 9’3” if he was a foot and he ran 650 lbs. He used to drive around in an ice cream truck covered in human skulls. His family crest is a picture of a barracuda eating Neal Armstrong. On Sundays, he would put on a white tie and tails and walk his pet cobra through the park on a leash. He named the cobra “Beverly”. He taught it how to fetch and dial a phone.
He sounds a lot like Bill Brasky.

I bought a $12,000 sailplane, and logged almost a 1000 hours of retract time it. Average flight time about 4.5 hrs per flight. I figured tows, maintenance, and insurance cost me about $30/hr to fly it.

Brian

I’ve always liked the looks of Comanches. How’s the short field behavior? I’m based in 5,000 ft paved but like to go to a couple that are 1,800 at sea level
When my Mooney took an uncomfortably long distance to get out of 6Y9 (2600' grass, obstructed on both ends), I had EdFred take my family to KLNL in his Comanche. I'm not sure how well it'd do on 1800' at sea level (is it paved?) but if it's not obstructed I bet it'd work fine. The rather primitive performance charts from 1958 agree:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 3.41.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 3.41.50 PM.png
    916.3 KB · Views: 0
The POH numbers are usually best case scenario, I took off on a 2500’ grass strip once and I had to abort the takeoff and try again, on the second try, it was almost a close call. You need to know your airplane and personal limits. After that I said I would require longer runways for grass strips but given I have more experience now I would do it again. Ideally with less weight / fuel and ideal weather.

Back