Cats

Ronorion9

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ronorion9
Best to get your cat very comfortable in a car or RV.
Cats need time to adjust.
Than just sit in your airplane with your cat for a few times, say an hour.
Than do the same with the engine on.
Than take short hops.
Again, cats need to adjust.
Rig up some kind of ear protection for your cat. That’s a must.
I would not worry about a cat causing commotion in a cockpit. That’s more a dog thing. When a cat is stressed they will find a protective nook to climb into and hide. Like forever.

Best to get your cat very comfortable in a car or RV.
Cats need time to adjust.
Than just sit in your airplane with your cat for a few times, say an hour.
Than do the same with the engine on.
Than take short hops.
Again, cats need to adjust.
Rig up some kind of ear protection for your cat. That’s a must.
I would not worry about a cat causing commotion in a cockpit. That’s more a dog thing. When a cat is stressed they will find a protective nook to climb into and hide. Like forever.
The first few flights I never saw my cat. I just trusted she was in, because she could not get out. Finally, on flight five, I saw her investigating the passenger side cautiously. I ignored her except for a quick touch. Keep your eye on your aircraft! Eventually she was comfortable being on the passenger seat once in awhile or going back to her hidy hole back somewhere. In any case, ignore your cat, focus on your airplane, they can take care of themselves

Wonder what terminal velocity is for a cat?

About mach 25 from LEO.

IMO Cat's shoul
Maybe somewhere like the passenger's footwell, where he or she could interfere with the rudder pedals?
IMO Cats should be in a carrier because of what FormerHangie said.
Are dogs different than cats riding in vehicles? I don't know as I never had a cat.
But I have had 3 dogs over the years and they all rode in vehicles no problem since they were pups.

When our cat comes with us, he’s in a carrier. He’s been on several trips with us in all sorts of planes, from an Ercoupe to a Comanche. Never was scared, never threw a tantrum. He first flew at age 7 or 8 and had no issues. Our dog just sits on the backseat. Also no issues. Once in cruise, he goes to sleep. When he hears the power change for descent he wakes up and just looks out of the window until i park. Then he gets impatient as the doors can’t open soon enough for him with all the nice people waiting just for him outside of the plane to greet him (at least he thinks the FBO staff is only there for him).

IMO Cat's shoul

IMO Cats should be in a carrier because of what FormerHangie said.
Are dogs different than cats riding in vehicles? I don't know as I never had a cat.
But I have had 3 dogs over the years and they all rode in vehicles no problem since they were pups.
A lot depends on the cat's personality and how it was raised. I've seen videos of cats being brought on hikes, riding in someone's backpack, but I think you have to train them to accept this during kittenhood. On the other hand my cat melts down if you take him off the front porch. They are territorial so their natural inclination is to attach themselves to their home territory and not let go. If I get another cat it's going to be car- and airplane-trained from a very young age.

Long time rec.aviation denizen Geoff Peck (and the author of the DUATS flight planner) used to fly with his cat. The disconcerting thing was when it learned how to howl into the microphone of an unused headset.

Haven't been flying with the cats yet. But my bird loved flying (especially if she could get the right seat).

Long time rec.aviation denizen Geoff Peck (and the author of the DUATS flight planner) used to fly with his cat. The disconcerting thing was when it learned how to howl into the microphone of an unused headset.

Haven't been flying with the cats yet. But my bird loved flying (especially if she could get the right seat).
Would it only do that when tuned to guard?

Dogs rule!
Only if you really like slobber.

Honestly I don’t know why geneticists aren’t trying to engineer the perfect pet. Friendly and attentive like a dog. Clean, independent, and non-smelly like a cat.

Honestly I don’t know why geneticists aren’t trying to engineer the perfect pet. Friendly and attentive like a dog. Clean, independent, and non-smelly like a cat.

That actually sounds like my cat. She can even walk on a leash! (It's not her favorite thing...)

Sphinx cats are like that, but a friend advised that nobody would ever spend the night if they saw that I had Mr. Bigglesworth. I probably should have gotten one anyway...

:D
Nah. Just that historically, those mean to domestic animals often turn out to be on Law & Order at some point.
I actually like cats, and I'm not mean to animals. If I wasn't mildly allergic to cats, we'd probably have one or two. We had cats before our son was born. He has, right now, two dogs and four cats, with two more cats coming. They live on an acreage and the cats keep the mice at bay.

I just like teasing people who are obsessed with their cats.

I actually like cats, and I'm not mean to animals. If I wasn't mildly allergic to cats, we'd probably have one or two. We had cats before our son was born. He has, right now, two dogs and four cats, with two more cats coming. They live on an acreage and the cats keep the mice at bay.

I just like teasing people who are obsessed with their cats.
That’s what I thought.

Only if you really like slobber.

I had one like that. Loved people. Even in large groups. Visited everyone during a party.

She even hated cats!

My wife and I, each having worked 30+ years in biotech, think it may be possible to genetically create dogs that remain puppies and cats that remain kittens. We would call them Perpetual Puppy and Constant Kitten.

My wife and I, each having worked 30+ years in biotech, think it may be possible to genetically create dogs that remain puppies and cats that remain kittens. We would call them Perpetual Puppy and Constant Kitten.
Does that mean the puppy will never be house trained? (Fortunately that's not a cat issue)

Back