Cats

My wife and I, each having worked 30+ years in biotech, think it may be possible to genetically create dogs that remain puppies and cats that remain kittens. We would call them Perpetual Puppy and Constant Kitten.

Anything genetically you can do to keep dogs around for like 30+ years? I wouldn’t want our dog to outlive me but I’d very much like him to stick around for longer than the average 12-15 years.

Can't authoritatively speak to the issue of house training, but puppies can be house broken. Perhaps this is a job for Cesar Millan.

Anything genetically you can do to keep dogs around for like 30+ years? I wouldn’t want our dog to outlive me but I’d very much like him to stick around for longer than the average 12-15 years.
This would be great! I've only had one dog in my adult life and when she went I was devastated. I still miss her and dream of her regularly. That was 30 years ago and I have never had another pet. It would also likely give insight into human aging.

Can't authoritatively speak to the issue of house training, but puppies can be house broken. Perhaps this is a job for Cesar Millan.
Of course they can, although friends report "accidents" as normal.

Kittens don't have to be housebroken. My friends who have never had cats are amazed when I describe how to litterbox train a cat:

Human (putting cat in the litterbox for the first time): "Hey cat, here's the litterbox."
Cat (looking and sniffing): "Cool. Thanks."

This would be great! I've only had one dog in my adult life and when she went I was devastated. I still miss her and dream of her regularly. That was 30 years ago and I have never had another pet. It would also likely give insight into human aging.
Get another pet! There are so many out there who need you and you'll discover you need them too. The pain of a beloved pet never really goes away, but a new pet make it more bearable. Even if you know they will break your heart eventually.

We have dogs and cats. One problem with one cat is that she will pee in any empty container such as a dog bowl. Other than that she is great with the other function in the litter box. We don’t know how to break her. So we keep her in a cage and let her out when we can watch her

We have dogs and cats. One problem with one cat is that she will pee in any empty container such as a dog bowl. Other than that she is great with the other function in the litter box. We don’t know how to break her. So we keep her in a cage and let her out when we can watch her
Our bigger problem was that our dog (we don't have Sully anymore) would eat cat poop as a delicacy. Kept the litter clean but...

Our bigger problem was that our dog (we don't have Sully anymore) would eat cat poop as a delicacy. Kept the litter clean but...

Luckily our dog doesn’t eat cat poop. He’s way too smart for that :p But, before we got him we didn’t know if he would (my childhood dog would eat cat poop, horse poop, etc.) so we bought one of those self-cleaning litter boxes for the cat. That was probably the single best purchase we made for the cat. He loves it because box is always clean and we love it because, well, the box is always clean. I think the desire of the litter box being clean is the only thing the cat and i agree on.

Back