Buying a road bike (cycle) and doing a century

I'd recommend any system where the shoe actually functions for walking (without feeling like you're wearing golf shoes or something), for those days when you are riding a lot but also stopping and doing stuff off the bike. If you're only going to wear them for event-type rides where you might have walking shoes waiting for you, go for whatever works best on the bike.

So maybe I should just get the speedplays?

I see this as in for a penny, in for a pound. May as well get the stuff that will make me the happiest the longest...

If you want a 'walkable' shoe, look for a MTB shoe instead of a Road shoe.

I'd recommend any system where the shoe actually functions for walking (without feeling like you're wearing golf shoes or something), for those days when you are riding a lot but also stopping and doing stuff off the bike. If you're only going to wear them for event-type rides where you might have walking shoes waiting for you, go for whatever works best on the bike.
Yep that is why I have the SPDs on my commuting bike. I also wear a mountain bike SPD shoe when I ride it. It is a very comfortable shoe and it looks like a hiking shoe.

If you get SPD's, and you want float, watch the cleats. There are different types of cleats. If I remember right, the SH50 has no float, the 51 has moderate float, and 55 or 56 is multi release with some float. It's a bit of a shock if you are in the habit of using multi-release cleats and accidentally replace them with single release cleats.

One point against Speedplay is that they do require more mx. You need to lube the spindles, as well as the springs in the cleats, regularly. It's not hard to do, it's just a little more hassle.

AFA float is concerned, see if you can try different amounts of float. You may prefer more, or less. I like a lot, which is why I like the Speedplays, but less float feels more stable, in general.

I see this as in for a penny, in for a pound. May as well get the stuff that will make me the happiest the longest...

Yep... Hard to imagine you can't find a bike shop that can set you up with a tryout to see which feels best to you.

Last edited:
Since everyone is talking bicycle here.... I'd like to throw in a little self serving advertisement.. I dont pedal, but I do support those who do in a variety of bicycle fundraisers - namely the BikeMS and the Tour De Cure (National MS Society and American Diabetes association rides, respectively).

I've ridden a motorcycle alongside 12,000+ cyclists in the Houston to Austin MS ride now for 5 years, and have become the Safety Chair for the Houston Tour de Cure...

Any of you pedallers out there, if there's a ride in your region that supports a cause that interests you (whatever that may be) its an excellent motivator for prepping and getting in shape for the longer rides.

Itravel.. what neck of the woods do you hang your hat in? The guy who recruited me into supporting and managing the ADA ride participates in about 5-8 different Tour De Cure's around the country annually, mainly as a networking thing (he's a diabetic rider).. and I may be able to give you a point out for a reputable bike shop or a specific individual if you are living near one of those markets.

I had speedplays for a number of years doing heavy bike mileage (ironman training). I had heard of complaints with folks getting achilles pains due to the float in the pedals. I started experiencing this toward the end and switched to Look Keo's.

Switched to Speedplay pedals on my new rig, which I've owned for a little over a month. Great on the knees, still getting used to them in a high speed corner (20+mph)

I will probably switch between Zero's and the X's I have now as I get more comfortable with the pedal. I vastly prefer this pedal to any other. LosersToTheBruinsfan31 is right on the money with the stiff soles. Feels a lot better after 100 miles than soft, squishy soles.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Since everyone is talking bicycle here.... I'd like to throw in a little self serving advertisement.. I dont pedal, but I do support those who do in a variety of bicycle fundraisers - namely the BikeMS and the Tour De Cure (National MS Society and American Diabetes association rides, respectively).

I've ridden a motorcycle alongside 12,000+ cyclists in the Houston to Austin MS ride now for 5 years, and have become the Safety Chair for the Houston Tour de Cure...

Any of you pedallers out there, if there's a ride in your region that supports a cause that interests you (whatever that may be) its an excellent motivator for prepping and getting in shape for the longer rides.

Itravel.. what neck of the woods do you hang your hat in? The guy who recruited me into supporting and managing the ADA ride participates in about 5-8 different Tour De Cure's around the country annually, mainly as a networking thing (he's a diabetic rider).. and I may be able to give you a point out for a reputable bike shop or a specific individual if you are living near one of those markets.

Paging Andrew Stanley...

Paging Andrew Stanley...

5 year veteran of the Pan Massachusetts Challenge; personally raising just a smidge over $20k to date. An amazing two days every year. I love it. Can't wait to get back (after grad school, that is.)

Cheers.

I have shoes! I have pedals!

Speedplay Light Action.

Bontrager "Rage". (at least that is what it says on the shoe tongue).

Now to get them on the bike...

Dave, I am in metro DC.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! More to come, no doubt...

Speedplay Light Action.

Dave, I am in metro DC.

Did you take the training wheels off first? :rofl:

Speedplay Light Action.

Dave, I am in metro DC.

My wife recently upgraded from SPD to SpeedPlay pedals (pink, of course ;)).. She said it was night and day difference (better).

Mine are pink as well... shoes are black with turquoise accents... bike is white with turquoise, and I have hot pink water bottles.

Speedplay Light Action.

Dave, I am in metro DC.

Those have heels?:lol:

Mine are pink as well... shoes are black with turquoise accents... bike is white with turquoise, and I have hot pink water bottles.

Well, then you definitely need to continue the 'upgrade' to the pink handle bar tape and the pink shifter cables. ;)

Has anyone heard of Marin? My wife is looking at new bicycles and the guy at the bike shop is pushing Marin. I have not bought a bike from anyone except this guy since 1983, and I've bought a lot of bicycles since 1983, so I don't think the is trying to dump anything on me, I just am not familiar with that brand. I have always ridden Cannondales, and my wife has always ridden a Trek. Anyway, she is close to buying a Marin I think.

I had my first clipped ride on Saturday. I did well. Knock on wood.

I don't know anything about Marin, sorry.

It is going pretty well but I'm away every other wkd practically. Did 20 miles yesterday which was a piece of cake but then got home late last night and didn't get up at 6 to get ready for a 7 am ride. I'm limiting myself to early morning rides during the summer months. I will try for a ride this week but I leave soon for Norway which means two more weekends out.

I'm not worried as I still have plenty of time to get myself up to 50-60 which I hear is the minimum you want to ride before the actual century. Went to dinner with friends last night who did this last year. Their strategy was to treat it like 5 20 milers.

I actually know a lot of people going but have a feeling I won't be riding with any of them. I'm too slow.

Cannondales are v nice!

I like Cannondales, but there are a lot of good bikes out there. It is good to break a century down like that. Five twenties is good. My daughter was training for her first Triathlon which was this weekend, Three weeks ago she got a sore throat, and two weeks ago she was diagnosed with mono. She is signed up for RAGBRAI at the end of July, so she is starting all over with her training. Anyway, there is a century one day of the RAGBRAI and she is sweating it right now.

We ride a Cannondale Tandem and absolutely love it -- stiff, fast, solid n turns, light enough to climb.

Now that we're back in Eastern PA where the roads have shoulders and the hills aren't endless we'll be riding it much more often!

Just an update:

Put the cages back on. Not keen on the clipless. I may go back with the Speedplays AFTER I do this century, or I may go to SPDs, or I may stay with cages. Fell twice - once was a surprise but the second time I was actually trying to dismount properly on the side opposite what I usually do (to practice) and could NOT get my foot out. I want to finish this ride without a broken wrist or torn ACL. So, maybe later.

I do use the cages as a way to "pull up" though. I found that out this morning when I launched a few times after a stop - cages were down so I had to use platforms just to move and realized my feet were trying to come off with each stroke. Once I had them in cages I was good.

I'm at 30 miles and am 11 weeks out. I think I am going to add 5 miles to each Saturday ride and make Sunday's ride "half of Saturday" each week now. Meaning 35/17 then 40/20 then 45/22 then 50/25 and so on. Not sure if that is too ambitious, anyone who's trained for one of these - am I asking for an injury by stepping it up that much? I only ride outside on Sat/Sun.

Just an update:

Put the cages back on. Not keen on the clipless. I may go back with the Speedplays AFTER I do this century, or I may go to SPDs, or I may stay with cages. Fell twice - once was a surprise but the second time I was actually trying to dismount properly on the side opposite what I usually do (to practice) and could NOT get my foot out. I want to finish this ride without a broken wrist or torn ACL. So, maybe later.

I do use the cages as a way to "pull up" though. I found that out this morning when I launched a few times after a stop - cages were down so I had to use platforms just to move and realized my feet were trying to come off with each stroke. Once I had them in cages I was good.

I'm at 30 miles and am 11 weeks out. I think I am going to add 5 miles to each Saturday ride and make Sunday's ride "half of Saturday" each week now. Meaning 35/17 then 40/20 then 45/22 then 50/25 and so on. Not sure if that is too ambitious, anyone who's trained for one of these - am I asking for an injury by stepping it up that much? I only ride outside on Sat/Sun.

That's a lot of mileage in a concentrated 2 day block. Frankly, anyone can survive a century. I don't think you need to do more than maybe a 4hr ride as your long ride.

If you can ride 30 miles non-stop on similar terrain you can do a century.

Hope it goes well for you!
I've only been riding one day a week to cross train. Usually ride 40 miles that day.
It's not only distance, it's pace. If you slow your pace a bit it can give much more endurance. One of the folks I rode with on early on told me not to go anaerobic if riding far and that seems to help. If you've practiced sprints, you can do more and recover.
I have the SDI clips and do well in them.

Let us know how it goes!!

Oh, it was 103 here today and several of my rides have been over 100 degrees. If I begin to feel I'm not sweating as much, I slow down and increase water and mineral intake. May stop if I need to.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
That's a lot of mileage in a concentrated 2 day block. Frankly, anyone can survive a century. I don't think you need to do more than maybe a 4hr ride as your long ride.

Hi

Do you mean "too much together with too long a period in between"? It's really tough to ride otherwise... I could possibly ride midweek for eight-ten miles in the morning, once. I was thinking further that maybe I should do my short ride on Saturday and leave that stable. 15 miles, period. Then I can actually get home and clean up for yoga class at 10 AM. And Sunday is the long ride - up by 5 miles each day.

You say four hours tops, but I bet I'm wayyyyy slower than you are. Way. Right now that would only take me 50 miles.

I will also say that my previous ride, two weeks ago, was 22 miles (clipless). I felt like a million bucks after, no pain, nuttin. I thought I could go on forever. Yesterday was my first ride in two weeks and I went 30 (newly cages). My right knee hurt afterwards (kneecap, which has since subsided) and my back feels tight. My neck hurt a little, too. I felt like a nap would be good.

Dan, I am sure you are right but given how different 30 felt from 22, I think I need to up the mileage significantly as well as just plain get out there more often. Spinning class isn't a substitute and sitting on the exerbike at the gym by myself DEFINITELY isn't doing it.

Cycling 4000SM - INSANE. Whoa.

Dave, "pace". Slowing.. what is your pace? Faster than mine! haha

Dan, I am sure you are right but given how different 30 felt from 22, I think I need to up the mileage significantly as well as just plain get out there more often. Spinning class isn't a substitute and sitting on the exerbike at the gym by myself DEFINITELY isn't doing it.

Absolutely true -- no indoor bike can fully replicate or even train for actual long distance road cycling. It helps, and is better than nothing, but is not sufficient.

If you can do 30 non-stop, you are fit enough to do 100 in a Century -- you'll have others riding with you, definite goals, stops, etc.

But you probably need to convince yourself beforehand that you can, and a metric century would do the trick.

Yes -- in 2003 we moved from Lancaster to Fayette County in Western PA (for work -- an offer I couldn't refuse ...)

This June we moved back to Lancaster County and all the bikes save one are functional and being ridden.

:D

Oh, you said you were in Eastern PA, but Lancaster isn't Eastern PA. Do you have access to a map? :D

I can't tell you what my real pace is because the route I take has so many stops. Although the computer on the bike stops when I do, it doesn't compensate for the slowing and accelerating again after stops. That being said, my 40 mile ride yesterday averaged 15.5 (actually 41 miles). It's a fairly flat course. Of course, this is riding alone. I'll have to time myself on a non-stop loop sometime and see what I average. Of course, when I ride in a group and draft, the pace is much faster.

On your 100, see if you can get with other riders at your pace. I usually have to eat something if going more than 40 miles (for my 40 I just drink water, but take an electrolite tab before and after--it's mostly sodium but different kinds). Lots of great books on this. The way to improve times is to do sprints like when running.

Sounds like many of the other folks on here are giving great advise. The only way I get in trouble is when I get competitive if someone passes and I decide to keep up <g>. If I ride alone, I pretty well let my body tell me what it can do and stay within that.

I can get shin splints if I don't really stretch my calf muscles well. Also, sometimes when sitting or lying down, I put the heel of one foot toward the front of the other and lift using the muscles in front of my shin to strengthen them. Seems to do it for me.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Compared to Fayette county?

Yeah, it's "eastern"

Bucks. Chester, and Delaware counties aren't really Pennsylvania -- they are Jersey suburbs.

;)

Well have to disagree. We can still carry guns here. :yesnod:

Anything west of Chester County is Ohio. :D

Back