Buying a road bike (cycle) and doing a century

Hi Dave

I'm not worried about my pace - I just want to finish. Not trying to race anyone - just git er done. That said I'd like to get at least another mph or two out of this. 12 mph is a long day. 30 miles is nothing and isn't requiring anything special of me. I had two bottles of water but only drank one of them. No gatorade, and while I did bring a breakfast bar and stopped to eat it at 24 miles (and finish the water bottle), I don't think I needed to eat it.

I started yoga too because I think I need the stretching included...

I can't tell you what my real pace is because the route I take has so many stops. Although the computer on the bike stops when I do, it doesn't compensate for the slowing and accelerating again after stops. That being said, my 40 mile ride yesterday averaged 15.5 (actually 41 miles). It's a fairly flat course. Of course, this is riding alone. I'll have to time myself on a non-stop loop sometime and see what I average. Of course, when I ride in a group and draft, the pace is much faster.

On your 100, see if you can get with other riders at your pace. I usually have to eat something if going more than 40 miles (for my 40 I just drink water, but take an electrolite tab before and after--it's mostly sodium but different kinds). Lots of great books on this. The way to improve times is to do sprints like when running.

Sounds like many of the other folks on here are giving great advise. The only way I get in trouble is when I get competitive if someone passes and I decide to keep up <g>. If I ride alone, I pretty well let my body tell me what it can do and stay within that.

I can get shin splints if I don't really stretch my calf muscles well. Also, sometimes when sitting or lying down, I put the heel of one foot toward the front of the other and lift using the muscles in front of my shin to strengthen them. Seems to do it for me.

Best,

Dave

Hey everyone

Question:

I got new shoes, again. I am back to cages. Hate the clipless. I have them in a box so maybe some other time..

Anyway. Love the new shoes. Love 'em. But, I am now getting numb toes when I ride. It's possible part of it is finally getting into higher miles. I got the same size I'd get in a sneaker, which is half a size larger than my normal shoes.

What could be causing this? I don't think the toe box is too tight, it feels OK. The shoes feel just fine when I'm standing. I have perhaps a little less than half an inch from the end of my big toe to the actual shoe. How much room should you have after your toe before you touch shoe?

Hey everyone

Question:

I got new shoes, again. I am back to cages. Hate the clipless. I have them in a box so maybe some other time..

Anyway. Love the new shoes. Love 'em. But, I am now getting numb toes when I ride. It's possible part of it is finally getting into higher miles. I got the same size I'd get in a sneaker, which is half a size larger than my normal shoes.

It's been 21 years since I wore toe clips but I remember getting sleepy toes/feet on long rides.

Which is why I've been riding clipless pedals the last 21 years....

It's been 21 years since I wore toe clips but I remember getting sleepy toes/feet on long rides.

Which is why I've been riding clipless pedals the last 21 years....

So it might not be the shoe/the fit of the shoe, and more from me jamming my toes down into the cages...?

So it might not be the shoe/the fit of the shoe, and more from me jamming my toes down into the cages...?

Yes -- I hardly ever strapped mine down -- just left them somewhat loose.

The advantage of toe clips is keeping your feet on those tiny pedals. If you're racing, strap 'em down -- you need to capture every ounce of power.

But you're not, so why cinch it down?

Yes -- I hardly ever strapped mine down -- just left them somewhat loose.

The advantage of toe clips is keeping your feet on those tiny pedals. If you're racing, strap 'em down -- you need to capture every ounce of power.

But you're not, so why cinch it down?

I don't strap and in fact was thinking of taking the straps off and just leaving the cage strapless. Just something to prevent my foot from slipping off the end.

This wkd I'm going to really loosen the shoes and see how it goes...

OK, I am definitely getting new shoes. The ones I have are "my size" and are fine for 20 mile rides, but I did 41 on Sunday (and 20 Saturday) and the last 6-7 miles were agony for my left big toe.

I also started getting pains in my left Achilles tendon!

The LBS raised my seat a little bit Friday (fitting) as well as moved it slightly back in response to my mentioning lower back issues. I wonder if that caused it. 35 miles, pre-fitting, was just fine for my feet and achilles.

OK, I am definitely getting new shoes. The ones I have are "my size" and are fine for 20 mile rides, but I did 41 on Sunday (and 20 Saturday) and the last 6-7 miles were agony for my left big toe.

I also started getting pains in my left Achilles tendon!

The LBS raised my seat a little bit Friday (fitting) as well as moved it slightly back in response to my mentioning lower back issues. I wonder if that caused it. 35 miles, pre-fitting, was just fine for my feet and achilles.

Lower back pain can have several causes. Lots of stand-up climbing will get me (WV, NC, or Adirondacks type climbing). Too much time trialing (bent in the aero position) will do it.

But lower back pain isn't as much about back weakness as it is a core weakness. When I was serious about racing my off season was heavy gym time working the core and it made a huge difference.

+1 of what Dan said.
Most folks really use their calf muscles biking. When those cool down, they tighten and pull the tendon to which you refer. Also, the muscles in front of the shin aren't balanced with the calf and one can get shin splints.
I stretch my calf muscles every day; first when shaving in the morning by bending my knee forward a bit while keeping the heel on the floor until it stretches my calf. I also put one heel on the front of my other foot and pull it up and down 50 times on each side to strengthen the muscles in front of my shin.

Dave

Last edited:
Sorry, I was interrupted when posting above.

As to core strength, I thought I was in excellent shape from running and biking and I was as to those specific activities, but noticed real imbalances when my Son and I started Jui Jitsu which requires much more core strength. My stomach muscles in particular didn't off set my back (which was strong from running). Biking also didn't strengthen my upper body much at all.

There are some great core strength programs worth looking at, but at least really stretch those calf muscles several times each day and those muscles in front of your shin. Hamstrings are another set of muscles that can become a problem if you don't keep them loose.
Hope you find some shoes that fit properly.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Dave and Dan!

I know "core" needs a lot of work. My legs feel fantastic - no residual soreness even after the 61 miles this wkd. None. Back is twingey but not bad, and the tendons have calmed down today.

I walked outside to get coffee and realized it's a perfect day. No humidity, I doubt it's even high 70s, blue skies. Wish I were on my bike..

Thanks Dave and Dan!

I know "core" needs a lot of work. My legs feel fantastic - no residual soreness even after the 61 miles this wkd. None. Back is twingey but not bad, and the tendons have calmed down today.

I walked outside to get coffee and realized it's a perfect day. No humidity, I doubt it's even high 70s, blue skies. Wish I were on my bike..

You're becoming addicted Liz <g> I find myself thinking the same thing or of being in the air flying all the time!

Best,

Dave

BTW I'm going in for a professional fitting. Gonna spend the bucks but it should take care of me.

Have you considered just swapping the tires off the mtn bike for narrower mtn bike road slicks?

you would save a bunch of money and have a second set of tires/wheels for use. Probably more comfortable as well if you are not used to riding a road bike.

Have you considered just swapping the tires off the mtn bike for narrower mtn bike road slicks?

you would save a bunch of money and have a second set of tires/wheels for use. Probably more comfortable as well if you are not used to riding a road bike.

Heresy!!!

:nono:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get 23mm tires onto a rim designed for 1 7/8" tires??? :D

I should point out that with my pro fitting coming up, pretty soon I'm going to be at least half again as much into this investment in the original bike when you consider all the other crap I've bought since buying the bike. Maybe more by the time it's all over.

I should point out that with my pro fitting coming up, pretty soon I'm going to be at least half again as much into this investment in the original bike when you consider all the other crap I've bought since buying the bike. Maybe more by the time it's all over.

That's ok... once your all set you get YEARS of enjoyment for very little money.

I bought my Pinarello from Cycles BiKyle (with pro fit) for $1700 in 1992.

I've ridden it at least 100,000 miles. I've replaced wheels, tires, brake pads several times, and Campy grouppo twice.

That's pennies a mile...

It seems in every sport you have to invest in the initial stuff; then, if you really get into it, you need a little bit better stuff. If it becomes a real focus, there's the best stuff <g>. Like Dan says, get it set up right to begin with and the costs will be less in the future. Not too bad unless you get into bike wear, going to races and other events, etc. Then, it's more a part of who you are <g>

Best,

Dave

Lower back pain can have several causes. Lots of stand-up climbing will get me (WV, NC, or Adirondacks type climbing). Too much time trialing (bent in the aero position) will do it.

But lower back pain isn't as much about back weakness as it is a core weakness. When I was serious about racing my off season was heavy gym time working the core and it made a huge difference.

There's also a factor of it bending your spine the wrong way to take a load because you're pinching on the disks all the time.

+1 of what Dan said.
Most folks really use their calf muscles biking. When those cool down, they tighten and pull the tendon to which you refer. Also, the muscles in front of the shin aren't balanced with the calf and one can get shin splints.
I stretch my calf muscles every day; first when shaving in the morning by bending my knee forward a bit while keeping the heel on the floor until it stretches my calf. I also put one heel on the front of my other foot and pull it up and down 50 times on each side to strengthen the muscles in front of my shin.

Dave
I corrected the last part of this in a PM to Beth and wanted to put it hear in case anyone else was following the thread. What I do to build the muscle in front of my calf is to lay down and put on foot on top of the other. I put the ball of the top foot on the instep of the bottom right where the toes end and pull up with the bottom foot while giving resistance with the top.

Works pretty well and easy to do.

Best,

Dave

I got my BG Fit today - I am home. This is the official Specialized Certified fitting.

It was fantastic!

I found out my LBS fitting two weeks ago had my seat a HALF AN INCH too high! No wonder I was getting Achilles pains the wkd I did 61 miles (41 for long ride). I got that pain almost immediately after the LBS raised my seat.

AND: TADA! I am back in clipless! He talked me into SPDs. I could tell right away that they were different and MUCH easier. It doesn't seem that much harder than just taking my foot off the platform. We will see if I feel the same way on the bike trail, but, I could instantly tell how much easier they were. The good news is that the other side is a platform so if I get a little leery of it at times (hills) I can take one foot out and pedal on the platform.

He shortened my stem a little, and the clipless will put the pedal more directly under my feet than just barely on the ball the way the stirrups did.

I now have three pairs of shoes, and three pedal sets now. Two stems, too.

I now have three pairs of shoes, and three pedal sets now. Two stems, too.

I make really expensive bike parts for a living. This vocation pays surprisingly little but threads like this make me think someday I may be able to actually pay for my aviation sickness by selling bike parts, so thank you.

To keep this on topic, my plane bike is a Ridley cross bike which I love dearly. Almost as fast as a road bike, a little more comfortable and able to ride dirt roads leading to and from small airports with ease.

Also, for the sore achilles and for stretching calf muscles, I find a slant board work really well. I use a healthquest slant board that, while a little pricey is worth every penny.

I make really expensive bike parts for a living. This vocation pays surprisingly little but threads like this make me think someday I may be able to actually pay for my aviation sickness by selling bike parts, so thank you.

To keep this on topic, my plane bike is a Ridley cross bike which I love dearly. Almost as fast as a road bike, a little more comfortable and able to ride dirt roads leading to and from small airports with ease.

Also, for the sore achilles and for stretching calf muscles, I find a slant board work really well. I use a healthquest slant board that, while a little pricey is worth every penny.

The guy getting fitted before me bought a 12,000 dollar bike. I bet it weighed less than a bag of groceries (well, one that had a gallon of milk and sack of sugar in it, anyway).

Well, it's official. No century for me this year. Too much to go into, but, I'm having more eye complications and am grounded. I will be lucky if I'm even allowed back on the bike by the weekend OF the century.

Back