Burning Man

As someone who has been, and continues to be “involved in the liberal arts,” and who has been to the playa, I disagree. Unless you remove “best place” and replace it with “a place.” But then again, subjectivism is a prime element of liberal arts, so anyone, or no one, can say what’s best.

Oh, and I’d never fly MY airplane to the playa. At least, not on purpose.
Gotta love a discipline where you’re always right or never right, unless you are. Makes perfect sense.

If you’re stoned out of your mind.

I wouldn’t say it’s a prerequisite, but there are many who do. I’ve smoked pot off and on since the early 80’s in high school. A few of my buddies used to go into the restrooms and smoke in between classes. Seems like another lifetime ago. Be prepared to smell a lot of cigarette and marijuana smoke around the playa. A little joint beforehand helps the experience really come to life.

Gotta love a discipline where you’re always right or never right, unless you are. Makes perfect sense.

If you’re stoned out of your mind.
Clearly you don’t understand the arts and I’m quite offended by your tone. Art is largely like music. Lots of different strokes for different folks. It’s an abstract of the mind and a free way of expression. Don’t even waste your time at the ‘Man it won’t be suited for you.

As someone who has been, and continues to be “involved in the liberal arts,” and who has been to the playa, I disagree. Unless you remove “best place” and replace it with “a place.” But then again, subjectivism is a prime element of liberal arts, so anyone, or no one, can say what’s best.

Oh, and I’d never fly MY airplane to the playa. At least, not on purpose.
That’s fine you’re free to disagree. I’ve been to many and have felt it’s one of the best in the nation. Folsom street fair is wonderful as well, but it’s more body expression.

I wouldn’t say it’s a prerequisite, but there are many who do. I’ve smoked pot off and on since the early 80’s in high school. A few of my buddies used to go into the restrooms and smoke in between classes. Seems like another lifetime ago. Be prepared to smell a lot of cigarette and marijuana smoke around the playa. A little joint beforehand helps the experience really come to life.

Clearly you don’t understand the arts and I’m quite offended by your tone. Art is largely like music. Lots of different strokes for different folks. It’s an abstract of the mind and a free way of expression. Don’t even waste your time at the ‘Man it won’t be suited for you.
"I’ve smoked pot off and on since the early 80’s in high school."

Are you currently a pilot and still smoking?

That’s fine you’re free to disagree. I’ve been to many and have felt it’s one of the best in the nation. Folsom street fair is wonderful as well, but it’s more body expression.
Jake,

The last time I attended BM was 1997. By then, the event had “jumped the shark” as far as I was concerned, a victim of its own success. Shortly thereafter, I moved into a space with a 50-yard line vantage point of the Folsom Street Fair, and spent the following 14 years inventing reasons to be out of town that weekend. I don’t claim to know what art is, but I will venture that exhibitionism, narcissism, and plooking strangers in the Pleasure Dome are not art forms, no matter how precious those practitioners fancy themselves to be.

Burning Man is many things to many people (too many, for too many, I think), and it’s great that you enjoy the experience. You do you, (and do anyone else who will do you). Just don’t conflate hedonism and narcissism with art.

I'm offended that you're offended. Since when is doing drugs and partaking in orgies "art"?

As I keep reminding my students, we can't have discussions until we have agreement on definitions. "What is Art?" is a much more amorphous than "What is Computer Science" and even that is a moving target.

Back