Best way to use GPS when vectors given

@Salty - the way you describe it is the way it works. Think about a flight to an airport 200 miles away. At some point you are likely to get cleared direct to the airport, by an ATC center that has no idea which approach you'll be using or which transition. You could "cheat" and look up the weather on ADSB to guess which approach, but it makes no practical difference from that distance. If the approach was before the airport, you'd have to "direct-to" the airport anyways.

True, but most if not all of those involve data entry rather than function selection.

And on this function, the GTN does this much faster than the GNS double-Direct. Starting with already having one to the flight plan page..

GNS: Tap FMS to Activate Cursor | Scroll to waypoint | Tap Direct | Tap Direct | Tap Enter. 4 Taps and a scroll.
That rings you back to the Map. If you also want to check the flight plan page to confirm, add another tap. So 5 taps and a scroll

GTN: Tap on the waypoint | Tap activate leg.

And the touchscreen propaganda notwithstanding, notice that except for the additional scrolling in the GNS to get there, it's all taps no mater which system you use. And, the GTN tapping targets are bigger! ;)
Also, as I've mentioned elsewhere, you should always brace your hand on the panel or instrument edge before using a physical knob or button in turbulence anyway, just like you're forced to do with a touchscreen. If you just reach out and grab a knob (stab and grab), that fragile knob ends up taking the full strain of steadying your arm, and many of us (including me) have found out how expensive they are to replace.

Anyone file direct via their preferred IAF in the flight plan? And do you usually get it?

Anyone file direct via their preferred IAF in the flight plan? And do you usually get it?
someone posted they do that here a month or two ago and then, of course, a couple others said it was a bad idea. Typical POA. LOL

someone posted they do that here a month or two ago and then, of course, a couple others said it was a bad idea. Typical POA. LOL
Did someone actually say it's a bad idea? I don't do it, but that's because I don't think it's necessary. I wouldn't argue it was bad if someone did.

Back