Bad experiences with Sportys

Los Angeles IFR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Los Angeles IFR
1. Bought an adapter in case I needed to jumpstart a Piper Warrior II from a car/car battery or other source. (The plane has a special external fitting for jumpstarting). It arrived with no directions at all, and I was told over the phone no instructions were available. I was surprised, and my A&P strongly thought they should include instructions and warnings, since doing things wrong could potentially damage avionics or cause other issues.)

2. Ordered a checklist card. Order included $7.90 for shipping/handling on an item that would have cost about $1 including postage to send 1st Class mail. So be it, since the website promised immediate shipping and generally 2-day delivery.

After a week, no checklist and no notification of shipping. Email inquiries were ignored. Phone messages were ignored. When I finally reached "customer service" I was jerked around and no one could give me an answer. Finally I reached a man who presented himself as Sporty's lawyer and head of customer service. He refused to explain the lousy "service," was insulting and hung up on me. (I believe he was actually neither an attorney nor head of customer service.)

Near as I can guess, Sporty's never had the product in stock or had stopped handling it, but took the order anyway and never bothered canceling it or notifying me or contacting me. I guess they just let unfilled orders sit until the customer wastes hours inquiring? Or maybe just let the customer rot until they have the product in stock?

There are numerous suppliers of flying machine stuff. I have dealt with several of them. I cannot in good conscience recommend Sporty's.

ADDENDUM: In fairness to Sporty's I'll mention:

1. Their humans, when you could reach one, spoke clear English;
2. They either did not charge my card, or issued a credit once I finally got in contact over the non-shipped order. So I don't believe they stole my money, just my time and trouble.

Last edited:
1. Bought an adapter in case I needed to jumpstart a Piper Warrior II from a car/car battery or other source. (The plane has a special external fitting for jumpstarting). It arrived with no directions at all, and I was told over the phone no instructions were available. I was surprised, and my A&P strongly thought they should include instructions and warnings, since doing things wrong could potentially damage avionics or cause other issues.)

2. Ordered a checklist card. Order included $7.90 for shipping/handling on an item that would have cost about $1 including postage to send 1st Class mail. So be it, since the website promised immediate shipping and generally 2-day delivery.

After a week, no checklist and no notification of shipping. Email inquiries were ignored. Phone messages were ignored. When I finally reached "customer service" I was jerked around and no one could give me an answer. Finally I reached a man who presented himself as Sporty's lawyer and head of customer service. He refused to explain the lousy "service," was insulting and hung up on me. (I believe he was actually neither an attorney nor head of customer service.)

Near as I can guess, Sporty's never had the product in stock or had stopped handling it, but took the order anyway and never bothered canceling it or notifying me or contacting me. I guess they just let unfilled orders sit until the customer wastes hours inquiring? Or maybe just let the customer rot until they have the product in stock?

There are numerous suppliers of flying machine stuff. I have dealt with several of them. I cannot in good conscience recommend Sporty's.

I typically don't have problems with them. I did have one bad experience that I felt really burned about and posted here:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61043

Jack Lynch contacted me shortly thereafter and made it right. I've since happily done business with them since.

My question to you is, at this point, what could Sportys do that would make you feel better about how things were handled?

It probably wasn't a Sporty's product so you'd get your best support from the actual manufacturer.

No comment on the issue with the checklist.

As to the adapter for jumping the plane, look in your POH. I wouldn't trust any generic instructions that came with the adapter or cables anyway.

When I had to jump my Dakota I used the POH to tell me what to do. And some common mechanical sense.

Have never had a problem with them,do believe their shipping prices are rather high. Now I try to order several things at a time,or buy at one of the shows.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I'm sorry that happened to you. There are several things that shouldn't have happened, especially when you're dealing with customer service.

You're right about one thing though, it's easy enough to take your money somewhere it's appreciated.

Like others have said, the instructions for using ground power are in the POH but don't expect it to get you going if the battery is totally dead. I've had success with a battery too low to crank but not dead. Also, NAPA "aviation dept." has has a connector that is the same as the Piper plug but a fair amount less expensive.

Also, NAPA "aviation dept." has has a connector that is the same as the Piper plug but a fair amount less expensive.

Shhhhh...don't let Clark know. He might have to start shopping at a real auto parts store.

Like others have said, the instructions for using ground power are in the POH but don't expect it to get you going if the battery is totally dead. I've had success with a battery too low to crank but not dead. Also, NAPA "aviation dept." has has a connector that is the same as the Piper plug but a fair amount less expensive.

Yup..... I had one on my Warrior 30 years ago,,,,,

Handy plug / socket......

Made by Cole Hersee and sold at most auto parts stores... I have one on my experimental.....

11041 ---socket https://www.google.com/search?q=Col...%2Fhome%2Fitem%2Fcat%2F248%2F11041%2F;240;240

11042---- Plug.. https://www.google.com/search?q=Col...%2Fhome%2Fitem%2Fcat%2F239%2F11042%2F;240;240

Never had a problem with Sporty's. One time an item was mis-shipped and the customer service folks practically fell all over themselves to apologize.

As for the connector, my bet is that the manufacturer provided no instructions & Sporty's sold you a boxed item. Your gripe on the instructions really is with the manufacturer. That said, connectors like that are easy enough to wire if you have a schematic for the plane from the service manual. At the very least your A&P should have the manual (and wiring diagram). Why wouldn't he provide the info? Or wire it for you? If you can't do it properly yourself, then pay someone who knows what they're doing... put in other terms, if you go to the big-box home store and buy a water valve from the bin, would it come with instructions on how to install? Would you blame them that no instructions came-with?

As for the checklist, you could have shopped around. Or even better, made one yourself (which is what I did). Computer, printer, and some laminating material from the big-box office supply store and you're done.

(Duly noted that this was a first post, and a complaint about a merchant)

1. Did the thing say it comes with instructions? If not, don't complain. See POH. My A&P strongly thought the Pirates would win the pennant.

2. Print your own checklist, laminate it at Kinko's. Good luck doing it for less than one dollar (especially when you include a 45 cent stamp). You agreed to the shipping and handling when you placed the order. Don't complain about what you agreed to.

He refused to explain the lousy "service," was insulting and hung up on me. (I believe he was actually neither an attorney nor head of customer service.)

Were you insulting to him?

2. They either did not charge my card, or issued a credit once I finally got in contact over the non-shipped order. So I don't believe they stole my money, just my time and trouble.

Again, if they didn't steal your money, than why are you complaining?

I hate to be negative but the first thought that cam to me is if you don't know how to use jumper cables you shouldn't have them.

One of my gripes with them is mandatory 2 day shipping. I'll take it ground for $11 over $20 shipping all day long. That irks me that they do that. Not to mention, I'm not fond of their pricing. Can of Plexus for $20 when the local motorcycle shop has it for $10.99.

I know pilots think everything is expensive for planes, but Sportys take it to a new level. If you shop hard enough, you can find most items Sportys sells for much cheaper. They just feel like a captive audience loves their fiddle.

I've always had good luck with Aircraft Spruce, maybe go with them next time.

Also, how do you not know how to use jumpers?

2. Print your own checklist, laminate it at Kinko's. Good luck doing it for less than one dollar (especially when you include a 45 cent stamp). You agreed to the shipping and handling when you placed the order. Don't complain about what you agreed to.

Guessing he's a low time guy, and he's got a new to him plane, probably best not to try to home brew a checklist for a little while IMO

Guessing he's a low time guy, and he's got a new to him plane, probably best not to try to home brew a checklist for a little while IMO
IMHO, it's the best time to home brew a checklist. All the better to learn the plane....

IMHO, it's the best time to home brew a checklist. All the better to learn the plane....

A checklist is a important piece of saftey equipment, not just a pre-solo quiz, so much so that working planes need theirs approved by the FAA.

My suggestion would be for him to use the Piper checklist and get some hours in his plane before he starts editing and moving stuff around.

I've always had good luck with Aircraft Spruce, maybe go with them next time.

Yes. Plus with shipping centers in CA and GA, you can use ground and it still gets there super quick.

When I lived in San Diego, UPS ground arrived within 24 hrs of ordering.

With all due respect, if you don't have a POH and a basic understanding that red equals positive, black equals negative, and that the fuselage plug on your aircraft is polarized you don't have any business using the cables you bought.

Your mechanic isn't much help, either. Telling you the cables need instructions instead of referring you to the POH and offering some common sense doesn't speak too highly of his skills.

Since you knew upfront what the shipping cost was it doesn't say much for your cognitive skills when you complain about it later.

It seems curious that your experience includes escalation all the way up to "Sporty's lawyer" and "head of customer service", not to mention that he hung up on you.

Companies that use mail order as their primary means of business do not normally treat customers in the fashion you have described.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you were a jackass in your dealings with Sporty's, because your experience is quite unusual in my opinion.

The fact that you bothered to sign up for POA just to post your compliant says more about you than it does about Sporty's.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/pi...e=&network=g&gclid=CMDB8969_sQCFUWVfgodcK0AAQ

DAMN.... 150 bucks....... You can build one for 1/4 that....

Buy a plug and a good set of jumper cables.... Cut off one end of the alligator clips.... Hook RED wire to the inner pin.. Hook the BLACK wire to he outer crimp fitting...

Easy Pleasy.....:yes::)

I was browsing around and found this.

...these Polar Wire Products have to be the most expensive jumper cables I have ever seen. :yikes:

A set of 1/0 cables, 25' in length with a carrying bag:

JC-10-25.JPG

JUMPER CABLES 1/0 GA 25'
Item #: JC-1/0-25
Your Price: $318.22 / EACH

:yikes:

My wife bought me a Sporty's Watch for my birthday while I was deployed. When I got home I didn't like the watch but no worries right ? I mean Sporty's had a no questions asked return policy right ? WRONG. They would not take the watch back based on how long I had the watch (even though it was within their specified time frame). I have not spent a single dime with Sporty's since then and I've probably spent 3 or 4 grand on useless junk, headsets, etc etc since.

A checklist is a important piece of saftey equipment, not just a pre-solo quiz, so much so that working planes need theirs approved by the FAA.

My suggestion would be for him to use the Piper checklist and get some hours in his plane before he starts editing and moving stuff around.

I suppose the Piper checklist includes all the equipment in the plane that's been added or subtracted since it left the factory floor. Like maybe a new autopilot that has a pre-flight check. Or a standby vacuum system. Or any number of other things.

Put together your own checklist based on the AFM and any add-ons that are included in the plane. Enough stuff has been added to my plane that the manufacturer AFM list alone would leave you incomplete.

YMMV

Have not used Sportys in years. I used all Sportys training videos when I was studying for PPL. Moved out West and started using Aircraft Spruce, large selection of products and good customer support.

Made my own jumper plug and cable set up for my Beechcraft. Way cheaper and custom for my plane.

I'm really surprised. Yes, Sporty's is on the upper-echelon of price, but I've always received great service from them. Had a problem once and my wife called. It was a 5 minute phone call and resolved very quickly and no questions asked.

Being in the wholesale supply business myself, I know that when dealing with CSR's your attitude towards them typically dictates the resolution level. If you're a jerk to them or have a chip on your shoulder, you'll likely get a "screw you" at the least and a hang up at the most. I own the company and I've had guys in the past get completely stupid and belligerent with me. Guess what. I sacrificed the future business.

Great luck with Sporty's thus far. Ordered a RAM IPad mount and was sent the wrong cradle. Not only were they happy to help, but when they found out I had to have the correct one on short notice they shipped the correct one immediately and didn't even have me ship the incorrect one back (which I would have been more than happy to do).

Note that the OP appears to be a "one and done" in terms of posting here. I put a lot more credibility on our regular poster.

I had a problem with them on an order as well. Initial response from them was not what I expected, but once escalated to the Customer Service Manager, she offered to make it right by doing someone on my next order. I was too torqued off and told her thanks but no thanks, but at least she offered to do something.

Their pricing is premium and shipping is expensive. If you are going to buy a lot from them, join the buyers club for $49 which gives you free shipping, if they still offer that. At $8 min shipping costs it pays for itself rather quickly.

Note that the OP appears to be a "one and done" in terms of posting here. I put a lot more credibility on our regular poster.
I suspect that the 1 and done may have had something to do with the lack of sympathy that he got.

I dislike the shipping charges and had avoided using them. Then one day I decidedvto get a bunch of AOPA logoed stuff. Since I was already paying through the nose for the shirts, $16 shipping was short money (about $4 a shirt). They missed the logos on all of them. A quick call resolved the issue.
I am usually a happy congenial guy with knowledge of being on the receiving side. I wouldn't work retail again if you paid me 10 times min wages.

Haven't bought anything from sportys in 3 years or so due mostly to experiences like the OP describes. They charged me $12 to ship something that they paid approx $1.00 to ship. It arrived a couple of weeks later. For $12 I expected next day or something. I shop at spruce or chief.

I suppose the Piper checklist includes all the equipment in the plane that's been added or subtracted since it left the factory floor. Like maybe a new autopilot that has a pre-flight check. Or a standby vacuum system. Or any number of other things.

Put together your own checklist based on the AFM and any add-ons that are included in the plane. Enough stuff has been added to my plane that the manufacturer AFM list alone would leave you incomplete.

YMMV

Checklists need to follow your flow, being he doesn't have a pilotmtomteach him a proper flow for the plane he'll have to develop his own, that'll take some time behind the yoke, best to keep to the factory list till then.

Just line through any items no longer there, any additional items added look at the manufactors checklist for said items.

I like MyPilotStore. Never a problem.

Sounds like a kid that didn't get the right answer from mom or dad.

Back