Airline Exit Rows

I don't know how to interpret that.
One of the requirements is the minimum age. That is a sharp line. One day before a passenger's 15th birthday they can not sit in the exit row, the next day they can.

The other requirements do not have that sharp, easily identifiable line.

One rule of thumb I have is to maybe give the edge to the guy who's survived being shot at by Germans with machine guns. Might not be perfect, but he's got some survival skills.

Firetruck if I know.. Could you ask your friend why the question?

Haha fair enough. He asks because many of us are well into our 40’s now and are senior managers or (in the industry of this forum) mid level Captains at major airlines now, so “he” always wonders if “millennial” is more of a euphamism for something else that was generationally accurate 15-20 years ago. To be concise, I think you are talking about “Gen Z” here. I wouldn’t be surprised if they knew nothing about WWII. They dont even remember 9/11, which us millennials were either in college for, or actively fighting in OEF/OIF shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
One rule of thumb I have is to maybe give the edge to the guy who's survived being shot at by Germans with machine guns. Might not be perfect, but he's got some survival skills.
Yeah and he was probably 18 when he did that. Same guy is now 97. Mobility may have changed slightly over 79 years

Yeah and he was probably 18 when he did that. Same guy is now 97. Mobility may have changed slightly over 79 years
Yep, could've been mobility that provided the save, and could've just been luck. Maybe fate, but that's really not I think I hold with much weight. My bet would be on being able to think when other people freeze, and being able to make good life changing choices. Those traits last longer than mobility and speed, in the general sense.

The overwing exit doors on newer 737's are much easier to open than the old ones. The old ones you had to take the door out of the frame and put in on a seat or throw it out.
I always snickered when I was in an exit row and the preflight briefing instructions were to calmly place the removed panel on the row of seats, etc. as if one was opening a closet door looking for a mop

I'm thinking if I open the exit, the door is going out the hole with me right behind it.

:biggrin:

and hoping that the people behind you give you the space to get the tasks done...

Haha fair enough. He asks because many of us are well into our 40’s now and are senior managers or (in the industry of this forum) mid level Captains at major airlines now, so “he” always wonders if “millennial” is more of a euphamism for something else that was generationally accurate 15-20 years ago. To be concise, I think you are talking about “Gen Z” here. I wouldn’t be surprised if they knew nothing about WWII. They dont even remember 9/11, which us millennials were either in college for, or actively fighting in OEF/OIF shortly thereafter.
FYI

1724848477389.png

I'm thinking if I open the exit, the door is going out the hole with me right behind it.
The airplanes which show leaving the door inside are the ones with inflatable slides at the over-wing exits. Throwing the door outside can damage the slide. Airplanes without slides have you throw them outside. In either case, the evacuation certification tests were conducted following the manufacturer's exit door procedure.

The 737 avoids that problem. The over-wing exit doors are hinged at the top and stay attached. You pull the handle down and the exit opens on its own.

A couple of years ago, I had a chat with a guy that drove a tank onto the beach at Normandy. He lied about his age, he was 16 when he went in.

He needed help getting his shirt tucked in neatly before he left the rest room at the American Legion. He did not have a walker or cane, had a sharp mind, and a firm handshake. I would have personally been fine with him at the exit row, next to the window. He was about 95 when I met him. His great grand daughter had brought him to the dinner. Some of the later generations care about those old guys that just keep on going.

I was 88 then, so was well aware of Normandy from news reels at the time, and from a historic perspective, knew that 3/4ths of the amphibious tanks that he drove sank with no survivors. His odds of just being alive a week after D day was tiny.

Just watched Delta move a guy out of the exit row because is English was lacking. First time I've actually seen them move someone.

Back