Advice for loooooong cross-country

Do NOT short your break in. You want to do that right, and not being doing an IPC until it is completed. You can do a cross country during the break in, but realize you will be doing it a bit lower than you might normally fly for the higher power setting.

"Whether" and "quickly enough" when it comes to maintenance usually means "won't". ;)
Very true! I ordered all of my avionics at the beginning of April, but somehow Garmin couldn't ship it until the beginning of June. My shop is aware of my impending transfer and have promised to get it all done by mid-July. We'll see, I guess. I just really want to avoid a situation in which I'm immediately flying a very long cross country while simultaneously breaking an a freshly overhauled engine with a plane right out of some fairly major maintenance. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Do NOT short your break in. You want to do that right, and not being doing an IPC until it is completed. You can do a cross country during the break in, but realize you will be doing it a bit lower than you might normally fly for the higher power setting.

Absolutely. The Central Valley is having some pretty scorching temperatures right now, so I'm hoping to have at least a couple of weeks where I can go out early in the morning before the DA gets too high. I know I need at least 75% power for a proper break-in, so I'm worried that too high a DA would prevent me from reaching 75% power even with full throttle, assuming that I stay around 2000ft AGL. I especially need to get the engine broken in properly before setting off on my cross-country, because I'll be flying probably around 9500ft MSL where I won't have a hope of reaching appropriate engine power for a break-in.

Back