6Y9 2024 Fly in/camp out

We are having to bail due to my plane likely being down for a bit.
I just released the reservation on the Sidnaw Lodge. It is a nice little 2 bedroom cabin with a pretty nice living area and kitchen.
Pretty good WiFi too.

You're just bailing because you found out we were going to be there again.

I mean, I don't blame you. I practically bailed knowing I was going to be there. Wait...

I have put in an order for the northern lights, but have not yet received a confirmation.

Yes...a week!!! We're ready. Almost. Lol.

Safe travels to everyone.

We've already started packing the bus, and I've been putting the finishing touches on the little maintenance items I want to do before heading up there. Can't wait!

Man, its only a couple days out, and it is crickets in here.

Teresa's dad is in the hospital, and it looks like we're going to be without childcare help for some time. Sadly this means she's not going to get to come again this year. I'm hoping I can still make it up for one night if things don't get worse. :(

Forecast looks good at least.

We’re doing flight planning. And meal planning. And looking at 6Y3 Sunday.

You're just bailing because you found out we were going to be there again.

I mean, I don't blame you. I practically bailed knowing I was going to be there. Wait...
HA!!! No. I had to delay the annual this year as it always falls in July and I am hounding my mechanic to wrap it up before Oshkosh. This year Osh wrapped up for us on the 26th so I gave him the plane after. My mechanic is backed up so it is going long.

HA!!! No. I had to delay the annual this year as it always falls in July and I am hounding my mechanic to wrap it up before Oshkosh. This year Osh wrapped up for us on the 26th so I gave him the plane after. My mechanic is backed up so it is going long. blah biddy blah blah blah biddy blahblah. Blah.

FTFY

Welllll.... It's starting to look less likely that we will make it this year. My medical expired at the end of May and my BFR was due at the end of July. Unfortunately, this week is the first week I've been home M-F since the end of June, with more travel scheduled for the next two weeks, so getting medical (even BasicMed) AND a BFR scheduled during that time will be a big lift. Not saying 'No' just yet, but it's not looking promising.

I'm feeling a *little* less horrible for not being able to get Med and BFR done in time. Looks like I would need an IPC to be able to make the trip anyway, which definitely wasn't in the cards as I am way out of practice on IFR these days.

1724773051202.png

I'm feeling a *little* less horrible for not being able to get Med and BFR done in time. Looks like I would need an IPC to be able to make the trip anyway, which definitely wasn't in the cards as I am way out of practice on IFR these days.

View attachment 132820
Scattered. Windy says cloud bases/visibility makes that trip simple VFR the whole way.

View attachment 132820

green means GO!

View attachment 132820

Catch a flight to MSP on Thursday, we'll be departing after dinner in the bus.

Man, its only a couple days out, and it is crickets in here.

We're leaving after school tomorrow. I'm pulling the bus out in the morning. We're going to take a bit longer to get up there, but are leaving earlier so we should get there earlier on Friday than we normally do, and give us a bit more time there.

This is my favorite of the fly-ins, and I have many fond memories!
Dang! We'll miss you!
We had the lodge last year, and I recommend it. I think Kent's had it in the past, too. If a bunch of people in tents want to grab it, it would work well! Not a lot of privacy though, and only a single washroom, IIRC.
Yes, we had the lodge the first year it opened - Would have been 2017, when Grayson was almost 9 months old.

Unfortunately, we're not gonna make it. For the second time this summer, my schedule has been pre-empted by a camping trip elsewhere that nobody bothered asking me about. :mad:

Recently, a discussion of VGs on a Mooney pilot group got me thinking that with a 310hp upgrade and said VGs, I might even be able to fly in again... But a new plane might be more likely. In any case, 6Y9 is even Tesla-able these days, so someday, we shall return, as a party of 4 - Last we were there in 2022, the little one was still in utero!

Looks like we are going to miss 6Y9 this year due to something else coming up, have fun everyone.

But yer gonna blow up yer motor running oversquare :eek:

:biggrin:

It's physically impossible for this engine to run anything but over square. Maybe if you were above 10k ft and at redline RPM. :)

It's physically impossible for this engine to run anything but over square. Maybe if you were above 10k ft and at redline RPM. :)
I'd like to see that thing as the prime mover in an aircraft.

We’re doing flight planning. And meal planning. And looking at 6Y3 Sunday.
Looks like an early afternoon arrival for us tomorrow, as I'm in the left seat and we will be waiting for the storm system to move through. Also Sunday 6Y3 will be a quick land and look around as we have dinner plans in Chicago Sunday evening.

Modified plans ... Skipping Friday because I don't feel like dealing with the carp sliding east over me. Aiming for Saturday arrival, late afternoon.

FYI - the Sidnaw Lodge is available through airbnb (under new ownership).

Reactions: Ted
Arrow is packed, fueled and ready to roll for tomorrow :cool:
Have a big oak being taken down in my yard tomorrow morning, so after that finishes I'll hit the skies. Expecting to arrive around 3-4pm ET.
Realized I left my camping gear in Michigan (the mitten part of Michigan, not the UP), so I just booked the lodge on AirBnB. Shows its pending. Hopefully it goes through or I'll be sleepin' in the plane!

edit: confirmed i got the cabin. It's a 2br and I'm rolling solo so if anyone could use the other room just lmk.

Last edited:
Arrow is packed, fueled and ready to roll for tomorrow :cool:
Have a big oak being taken down in my yard tomorrow morning, so after that finishes I'll hit the skies. Expecting to arrive around 3-4pm ET.
Realized I left my camping gear in Michigan (the mitten part of Michigan, not the UP), so I just booked the lodge on AirBnB. Shows its pending. Hopefully it goes through or I'll be sleepin' in the plane!

edit: confirmed i got the cabin. It's a 2br and I'm rolling solo so if anyone could use the other room just lmk.
I was actually just planning to sleep in the plane as I'm only going to be there Saturday night, but if you don't have any other takers I'd bunk with you.

You're the first - all yours. See ya Saturday!
Well if somebody else can use it for both nights, I'd rather see it get used. My plane is actually pretty comfy ;), but given the option, I'd still rather have a bed and bathroom.

How soft is the field after last night’s rain?
I'm up here already. I'll go walk it, and report back in a bit.

The runway was so firm...
(How firm was it?)
It is firm.

I was trying to channel my inner Johnny Carson, but my inner Andrew Dice Clay was taking center stage.

Last edited:
Back