6 Question VFR Quiz

I got 6/6 but I take an issue with the second question. The hemispheric crusing rule doesn't apply to heading it applies to COURSES. The question is technically unanswerable and the answer provided is INCORRECT.

The first one about the blue vignetted area is a real trivia one. Not too many places left in the US with uncontrolled airspace up to the base of the continental control area.

Same as Ron. Also the guy that wrote the quiz should be punched in the face for question number 2.

We have Class G here in MI to 14,500

I got 6/6 but I take an issue with the second question. The hemispheric crusing rule doesn't apply to heading it applies to COURSES. The question is technically unanswerable and the answer provided is INCORRECT.

The first one about the blue vignetted area is a real trivia one. Not too many places left in the US with uncontrolled airspace up to the base of the continental control area.

I take issue with that one too; "You're airplane is here at 12,500 feet MSL. What airspace are you in?" I am not airplane.

Same as Ron. Also the guy that wrote the quiz should be punched in the face for question number 2.

We have Class G here in MI to 14,500

Why does that warrant a punch in the face?

Ditto the others on question 2 (minus the violence), plus I take issue with question 5 regarding "soft-surfaced". The hollow circle means "other than hard-surfaced", not "soft-surfaced", and is used whenever the runway is not paved. That unpaved surface could still be pretty darn hard.

Ditto the others on question 2 (minus the violence), plus I take issue with question 5 regarding "soft-surfaced". The hollow circle means "other than hard-surfaced", not "soft-surfaced", and is used whenever the runway is not paved. That unpaved surface could still be pretty darn hard.

Lol

Well if it's "other than hard" does that not make it soft :dunno:

Clearly Ed does not believe in the Law of Effect when it comes to effective flight training, although he would have been right at home with the early-mid 20th century military flight training methods I experienced (from which, I understand, physical abuse of trainees has since been eliminated). Nobody went through VT-10 in the early 70's without experiencing the unstrapped kneeboard of Capt. Frank Cuddy, USMC.

I missed the airspace question....

The quiz made no mention of Michigan.

No, but Flying Ron made mention of not much Class G airspace. And since I started the post with reference to Ron, it should have been easy to follow that I was referencing his comment. I overestimated people.

Somehow got 6/6. Pretty straight forward with exception of the type of runway question.....that was pretty much a guess.

I take issue with that one too; "You're airplane is here at 12,500 feet MSL. What airspace are you in?" I am not airplane.

Good point. Right now I'm in the surface area of IAD's class B airspace no matter where my plane is located.

6/6. Not sure about the confusion on question 2. Does G not go to 14,500 ft there?
The problem with question 2 is that it gives only heading to determine correct cruising altitude, and heading is not what is used to determine that -- course is.

6/6. Not sure about the confusion on question 2. Does G not go to 14,500 ft there?

Question 2 (at least when I took it) was the one about what altitude you should fly at if you are on a 359 heading. The slightest amount of left crosswind would yield the opposite answer than what they are looking for.

The problem with question 2 is that it gives only heading to determine correct cruising altitude, and heading is not what is used to determine that -- course is.

Ok, I was looking at the 12,500 ft thing. Yeah course not heading.

We should do more of these. They can help keep your book knowledge sharp.

I got 8 questions correct :)

I just file everywhere I go, so I don't need VFR rules. ;)

Got the airspace question wrong...if CCA was still the proper term, I'd have gotten it right!

That's my story, and I'm stick in' to it!:yes:

Another loss to political stupidity like control zone. What do we call the class E airspace that begins at 14,500 feet MSL to, but not including, 18,000 feet MSL overlying: the 48 contiguous States including the waters within 12 miles from the coast of the 48 contiguous States; the District of Columbia; Alaska, including the waters within 12 miles from the coast of Alaska, and that airspace above FL 600; excluding the Alaska peninsula west of long. 160°00'00''W, and the airspace below 1,500 feet above the surface of the earth unless specifically so designated?

CCA is still in the contractions book for Continental Control Area. So we can abbreviate something that doesn't officially exist.

I missed the airspace question....
If it makes you feel any better, so did I. I was actually LOOKING for the blue vignette and somehow didn't see it. When I saw that I had missed the question I went back to the image and suddenly there it was. I seem to be having a few brain farts lately... :redface:

What's your guys problem with number two? It clearly says magnetic COURSE.

I got the freq question wrong. How do you know what freq from a chart to reach flight services?

I got the freq question wrong. How do you know what freq from a chart to reach flight services?

On top of the VOR box. If there's a 'R' there you transmit there and listen to the VOR. Otherwise you listen and xmit on it.

Another loss to political stupidity like control zone. What do we call the class E airspace that begins at 14,500 feet MSL to, but not including, 18,000 feet MSL overlying: the 48 contiguous States including the waters within 12 miles from the coast of the 48 contiguous States; the District of Columbia; Alaska, including the waters within 12 miles from the coast of Alaska, and that airspace above FL 600; excluding the Alaska peninsula west of long. 160°00'00''W, and the airspace below 1,500 feet above the surface of the earth unless specifically so designated?

Class E airspace.

So my VFR cruising altitude is based on ground track and not heading?

Looks like the airspace question zinged more than a few.

Back