6 month currency

edessa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
edessa
I was told that when you perform your 6 approaches and holds for 6 month currency you can't mix a simulator and actual flying. They either have to be all in an airplane (hood or actual) or all in a simulator.
Is this true?

Thats what I just read in the regs. I just started multi engine training and my MEI just said it had to be all in one or the other.
What reg are you and your CFI reading? It’s pretty clear in 61.57c(2). This isn’t hidden somewhere, it’s right in the paragraph you would go to, to figure this out.

“A person may complete the instrument experience in any combination of an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.”

You were told wrong. Get another CFI because if they don’t understand this fundamental requirement then who knows what else they don’t understand and erroneously passing on to their students.

A pilot may log an IAP for currency or training when the pilot accomplishes the IAP in accordance with
the following conditions:

1. When conducted in an aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device,
the pilot must operate that aircraft or authorized training device solely by reference to instruments
[§ 61.51(g)(1)];

2. When conducted in an aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device,
the pilot must be established on each required segment of the IAP to the minimum descent altitude
(MDA) or decision altitude/decision height (DA/DH);

3. When conducted in an aircraft simulating instrument flight conditions, a flight simulator, a flight
training device, or an aviation training device, the simulated instrument meteorological conditions
(IMC) must continue to MDA or DA/DH; (...)

Is it possible that you have some mix already in your log book, and doing it his way would require you to spend more time and money using their services?

Back