$100K? This Giveaway Shows How Out-of-Touch They Are With GA

lasdude

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lasdude
I want to express my disappointment with the FLYING Magazine's "Ultimate 100K Giveaway". While I appreciate the opportunity to win a free aircraft, I believe that the contest ignores the needs and interests of most of the general aviation community.

100K is not enough to finance an aircraft

First, the $100,000 prize is not enough money to finance the purchase and operation of an aircraft for most people. Even if you were lucky enough to win, you would still be responsible for significant ongoing costs, including hangar fees, insurance, maintenance, and fuel. Furthermore, the $100,000 prize is unlikely to be considered a legitimate down payment by any financial institution. The award's unconventional nature and the potential for fraud would likely raise red flags for banks, making it nearly impossible to secure financing for an aircraft.

The contest is limited to a small selection of aircraft

Second, the contest is limited to a small selection of used aircraft that may not be suitable for everyone's needs or budget. You can only pick from the aircraft listed on aircraftforsale.com

AOPA's sweeps and raffles bring the reader along for the journey

Third, AOPA's sweeps and raffles are much more engaging. AOPA does a great job of telling the story of the aircraft and the people who built it, which makes the contest more exciting and personal. Even if the membership is too expensive and their leadership is out of touch, I enjoy their sweeps every year. Raffles give you a chance to win an aircraft in good shape and you avoid the burden of finding one. I wish Flying magazine would truly listen to its subscribers and offer a giveaway that resonates with the community's desires.

The current FLYING magazine contest feels disconnected from our needs, leaving us feeling overlooked and ignored.

Seems like you're the one disconnected from what $100k can get you in general aviation. Small selection of aircraft? There are 193 single engine piston aircraft available on there for under $100k. Since when do drawings of this type ever include operating costs and incidental costs beyond the purchase price of the object? As someone who has long wanted to own my own plane, you think I would be like, "nah man, thanks but no thanks, it didn't include fuel for a year."

I want to express my disappointment with the FLYING Magazine's "Ultimate 100K Giveaway". While I appreciate the opportunity to win a free aircraft, I believe that the contest ignores the needs and interests of most of the general aviation community.

First, the $100,000 prize is not enough money to finance the purchase and operation of an aircraft for most people. Even if you were lucky enough to win, you would still be responsible for significant ongoing costs, including hangar fees, insurance, maintenance, and fuel. Furthermore, the $100,000 prize is unlikely to be considered a legitimate down payment by any financial institution. The award's unconventional nature and the potential for fraud would likely raise red flags for banks, making it nearly impossible to secure financing for an aircraft.

Second, the contest is limited to a small selection of used aircraft that may not be suitable for everyone's needs or budget. You can only pick from the aircraft listed on aircraftforsale.com

Third, AOPA's sweeps and raffles are much more engaging. AOPA does a great job of telling the story of the aircraft and the people who built it, which makes the contest more exciting and personal. Even if the membership is too expensive and their leadership is out of touch, I enjoy their sweeps every year. Raffles give you a chance to win an aircraft in good shape and you avoid the burden of finding one. I wish Flying magazine would truly listen to its subscribers and offer a giveaway that resonates with the community's desires.

The current FLYING magazine contest feels disconnected from our needs, leaving us feeling overlooked and ignored.
Hmmm. Three of your six posts here are criticizing Flying. Maybe don't subscribe.

I'm not saying he is an editor for Flying, but if I were one, this would be a strategy I'd employ to get your attention.
"I hate this giveaway. Now all of you try to prove me wrong by clicking on the link and signing up."

"The current FLYING magazine contest feels disconnected from our needs, leaving us feeling overlooked and ignored."

So a company wants to give you $100,000 - and you think this gesture makes you feel over-looked and ignored?

What kind of entitled world do.....oh, forget it.

I recall around 25%.
A buch of them will actually offer more to cover the taxes

Well…. I guess that for those expecting their first plane to be a 310 or a Baron, yeah,$100,000 won’t do much, but believe it or not, there are many solid, fun to fly aircraft that can be had for less than that amount.

As a previous poster pointed out, you are free to not participate.

$100k would have bought my plane a few times over. I thought I was easy but not cheap, but maybe I'm cheap too.

Yeah ... I'm thinking for that kinda loot I could have more than one! Some folks would complain over getting hung with a new rope ...

$100k would have bought my plane a few times over. I thought I was easy but not cheap, but maybe I'm cheap too.
:yeahthat:

Welcome to the cheapskate club. Or maybe Impoverished Pilots of America.

$100k would have bought 4 of my plane and left over enough for several annuals.

If I somehow won, I'd likely buy a plane, flip it, and drop the money into my engine OH fund. Adding an autopilot might be nice....

My two planes to date were purchased for a total of $57K. I sold the first after having both for a while so my current capital investment is $37K, and it’s a quality plane.

Hangar rent is the real cost of owning a plane, if you want to baby it (as I do). $100K would cover almost 20 years of my current hangar rent - which coincidently is about how long I’ve been paying it.

Last edited:
Hah! I've owned six airplanes over the years (two were ultralights, but still... total purchase price for all six was under $75K.

The current FLYING magazine contest feels disconnected from my needs, leaving me feeling overlooked and ignored.
FIFY.

Flying magazine can do what ever they desire and I won’t feel overlooked or ignored. So take me off your we, our and us list.

Wait……Flying magazine is still in publication?

Back