Yet another ADHD post.

That Mom

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
That Mom
I'm sitting here, sick to my stomach thinking that I have wrecked my son's shot at doing what he wants for his future.
During Covid and distance learning, my son was starting high school. It didn't go super well. He got vaxxed, then he got sick. Then the fatigue set in. Was diagnosed with anemia. (Anemia resolved, but his platelet count and monocytes have been high ever since - 3 yrs now.) He slacked. I stressed. I thought maybe this was ADHD. He's a crazy smart kid, but just wasn't keeping up with his work. Went to ped who said take meds (Concerta). They did nothing but make him drop 20 lbs in 3 months. Stopped meds over the summer. Switched drs a couple of times as I didn't think enough attention was being paid to the blood issues, and finding the causes of the endless fatigue. No one seems to want to figure out why my healthy 16 y.o. would suddenly be anemic. New doc said try Straterra since it works differently than stimulants. Again, not effective. Did a sleep study dr said "possible" idiopathic hypersomnia, though his numbers fall outside of the diagnostic criteria - try Ritalin. Took for maybe two weeks. Not effective. Still dead-ass tired all the time. Quit meds altogether. Found flying and now that is what he wants for his career. I'm so scared that he is screwed, and I'm the one who started all of this.

Has anyone had a case this "medically complicated"? If we can get to the bottom of the blood issues, and resolve them (assuming that improves the fatigue) is there a way to show the FAA "hey look, ADHD was wrong, and this is right and we fixed it"?

I know that this will be a huge uphill battle and very expensive. But we have resources. What I need is hope.

Has anyone had a case this "medically complicated"?
The good news (and some perspective) is that an otherwise healthy 16yo with a brief history of ADHD meds is pretty low on the "medically complicated" totem pole. Having resources certainly helps, but it helps more to be patient, take a long term view, and do things correctly. Don't apply for a medical until you've done your homework, or you may inadvertently disqualify him from flying under sport pilot rules.

There are many threads on this topic:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/search/search?keywords=adhd&title_only=1

So, maybe get clean and off the meds, do sport pilot until he's done with college, and then take advantage of the new "fast track" ADHD evaluation:

Thank you. I really appreciate it. He's such a good kid, and he rarely wants anything. This ADHD dx really was me pushing, and if I could take it all back, I would. He's been off meds since December. Yes, we talked about Sport Pilot while he waits for the timer to run out for Fast Track. THere's just such a mixed-bag of information out there. Some people are successful seemingly easily. Others are not honest. Others don't have the resources and are forced to give up on their dream.

I know that the FAA has recently introduced Fast Track, but do you know if there is anything else on the horizon that may make this more cut and dried?

If he has a diagnosis of ADHD, then the fast track will be good best bet. It does require examination by a psychologist and to be off meds for four years. If the meds were prescribed for some other condition, or without a diagnosis, be aware that only current medications are disclosed.

And don't be too hard on yourself. Yes, patients (and parents) should not be asking docs for pills to solve problems or diagnoses they came up with, but it's the doc's job to be the gatekeeper.

If he has a diagnosis of ADHD, then the fast track will be good best bet. It does require examination by a psychologist and to be off meds for four years. If the meds were prescribed for some other condition, or without a diagnosis, be aware that only current medications are disclosed.

And don't be too hard on yourself. Yes, patients (and parents) should not be asking docs for pills to solve problems or diagnoses they came up with, but it's the doc's job to be the gatekeeper.
So does that mean that you only report meds that he would being currently taking at the time of filing out MedXpress, not a historic record of meds taken? I'm sorry. I just want to have a correct understanding of what is appropriate without giving unnecessary info.

If the meds were prescribed for some other condition, or without a diagnosis, be aware that only current medications are disclosed.
There is no such thing as a prescription without a diagnosis.
So does that mean that you only report meds that he would being currently taking at the time of filing out MedXpress, not a historic record of meds taken? I'm sorry. I just want to have a correct understanding of what is appropriate without giving unnecessary info.
It asks for current meds, but it also asks "have you ever..." questions:

Like the regs, and contrary to popular belief, it is written in plain English and it means what it says.

So does that mean that you only report meds that he would being currently taking at the time of filing out MedXpress, not a historic record of meds taken?
That is correct.
I'm sorry. I just want to have a correct understanding of what is appropriate without giving unnecessary info.
You do have to report diagnoses and conditions that you have ever had in your life.

There is no such thing as a prescription without a diagnosis.

It asks for current meds, but it also asks "have you ever..." questions:

Like the regs, and contrary to popular belief, it is written in plain English and it means what it says.
Ahhh. I see now. Thank you for the link. We are obviously going to have to take out time to get all ducks in a row.

Another question for you, if you don't mind.... When sending medical reports to the FAA, are those paper copies? Like from his pediatrician who he no longer sees, do they need to be sent under seal, like college transcripts directly from the practice? I know that there are tight deadlines and I have seen where people are given 60 days to submit supporting documents, but they only get the letter from the FAA like two weeks before the deadline. So, could he go ahead and request those records on paper and keep them until needed?

That is correct.

You do have to report diagnoses and conditions that you have ever had in your life.
Yes, perfect. I understand. I do want to be honest and include everything. I am even tracking down the record of his hospitalization at two years old when he swallowed a penny and it got stuck in his esophagus because it asks about prior hospitalizations. =o) Thank you.

Your options are to either mail/fedex/ups the paper or take them to your AME and he can upload them directly to Joklahoma City via his computer account.
All that should have been in the letter they sent you.

They don't need to be "sealed" or anything special.

Yes, perfect. I understand. I do want to be honest and include everything. I am even tracking down the record of his hospitalization at two years old when he swallowed a penny and it got stuck in his esophagus because it asks about prior hospitalizations. =o) Thank you.
An ER visit isn't a hospitalization unless he was actually admitted to the hospital. But that's not going to be a big deal, and I doubt the AME would ask for records. Also remember that he'll complete the form to the best of his knowledge, so scouring the earth for records of inconsequential things is not necessary.

I would suggest that you find a great senior AME in your area accustomed to hard cases, and schedule a consultation before you expend any more energy.

OK stop. That’s what you need to do is stop.
#1 work thru the current medical issues with your son. Don’t worry about flying for now. His overall health is more important.There are many jobs in aviation that don’t require a Class 1 medical.
#2 Find a senior AME for a CONSULTATION about all the issues. If there’s not one near you, some one here can probably point you in the right direction.

Has your son flown in a small aircraft? If not, a discovery flight might be a good idea. Giive him an idea what learning to fly is like. He may decide it’s not for him and your worries are for nothing.

You did nothing wrong. Unelected bureaucrats are doing it to him right now. F#@& them, well and truly.

You did nothing wrong. Unelected bureaucrats are doing it to him right now. F#@& them, well and truly.
Thanks. I do agree that there is much wrong with the current system. I understand that there have to be standards of safety, and at the same time, it is sad how disincentivized pilots are to seek both mental and physical health-related help, especially those whose living depends upon their certification.
OK stop. That’s what you need to do is stop.
#1 work thru the current medical issues with your son. Don’t worry about flying for now. His overall health is more important.There are many jobs in aviation that don’t require a Class 1 medical.
#2 Find a senior AME for a CONSULTATION about all the issues. If there’s not one near you, some one here can probably point you in the right direction.

Has your son flown in a small aircraft? If not, a discovery flight might be a good idea. Giive him an idea what learning to fly is like. He may decide it’s not for him and your worries are for nothing.
He has. That's how we got here. He loved it. I just wish he had done it before all of this medical stuff. It would have changed my decisions along the way.

Your options are to either mail/fedex/ups the paper or take them to your AME and he can upload them directly to Joklahoma City via his computer account.
All that should have been in the letter they sent you.

They don't need to be "sealed" or anything special.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Hello, That Mom. Welcome to PoA.

Believe it or not, we dont get that many parents who are at least reaching out as you are. So, on that account, you're doing great.

As far as flying goes, your son can still go down the Sport Pilot track at this point. So, at a minimum he has that going for him. It doesnt take a long to find posts in this medical forum who dont even have that option. So, that is a great thing itself.

One of the things I've gathered on this forum is that in cases like this you really dont want to try navigating it by yourself. You've already found some complications and there are many more out there. Some of which would end even the little that you have available. As had been suggested, find a Senior AME who can help walk you through this.

Again, welcome, and keep at it.

I know that this will be a huge uphill battle and very expensive. But we have resources. What I need is hope.

There is hope. This is probably doable, but it will take time and money. Whatever you do, do NOT submit an FAA medical application until you know how it will go and have an opportunity to get things lined up for tests, medical records, etc.

You can really screw this up trying to do it on your own. You need to work with a senior aviation medical examiner who is experienced in difficult cases. We have several on this site.

PAGING THE POA MEDICAL STAFF - @lbfjrmd @bbchien @WingmanMed Doctors, your advice is needed.

Hello, That Mom. Welcome to PoA.

Believe it or not, we dont get that many parents who are at least reaching out as you are. So, on that account, you're doing great.

As far as flying goes, your son can still go down the Sport Pilot track at this point. So, at a minimum he has that going for him. It doesnt take a long to find posts in this medical forum who dont even have that option. So, that is a great thing itself.

One of the things I've gathered on this forum is that in cases like this you really dont want to try navigating it by yourself. You've already found some complications and there are many more out there. Some of which would end even the little that you have available. As had been suggested, find a Senior AME who can help walk you through this.

Again, welcome, and keep at it.
Thank you so much. It's really all just overwhelming and confusing when you're standing outside of this world, looking in. My heart breaks for people who have had to quit, or never get started. I was an FA before he was born and I know how it is to love flying and the lifestyle that goes along with doing it professionally. I think that is part of what makes this such a bitter pill - that I could have messed this up for him. His plan right now is to do Sport Pilot and fly as many hours as possible while he works and goes to school. We will consult with a senior AME, gather all of the necessary documents and make any appointments to reestablish a baseline of health. Then he can make the decision whether or not to push forward.

If not to far of a trip, take him to Oshkosh the last week in July.
I just saw this advertised last week! We used to go to the Joint Services Open House, but they have not had it the last couple of years. It's not close, but we could stand to get out of town for a bit! We may have to do it! Thanks for the tip!

There is hope. This is probably doable, but it will take time and money. Whatever you do, do NOT submit an FAA medical application until you know how it will go and have an opportunity to get things lined up for tests, medical records, etc.

You can really screw this up trying to do it on your own. You need to work with a senior aviation medical examiner who is experienced in difficult cases. We have several on this site.

PAGING THE POA MEDICAL STAFF - @lbfjrmd @bbchien @WingmanMed Doctors, your advice is needed.
Thank you!

if you have resources, and he doesnt have adhd, then there is no reason to not go through the regular track as he should easily clear it. HOWEVER - your other fatigue issues being unresolved is still something to concern yourself, regardless of flying.

if you have resources, and he doesnt have adhd, then there is no reason to not go through the regular track as he should easily clear it. HOWEVER - your other fatigue issues being unresolved is still something to concern yourself, regardless of flying.
Yes, the blood issues are still a concern, and we are about to take that up, yet again. He just graduated HS, so we have all summer to push forward and try to finally get into a hematologist. I realize we may land on another disqualifying condition (MPN, MDS, etc.), but his health is the priority.

Back