Wings of Hope Raffle GNS430 equipped 172

I might have to try my luck again.

It looks like a pretty good deal, even if it has an O320H2AD engine.

H2AD had some problems...

EDIT: Upon further investigation, this airplane is serial # 17266931 which per Type Certificate Data Sheet 3A12 Revision 83, is equipped with an O-320-E2D, not an H2AD.

Last edited:
If I win, I could sell that and my 150 and get something else.

If I win, I could sell that and my 150 and get something else.

I might be interested in a cheap Cessna 150. One of my friends (student) desperatly needs to put ~20 hours on one.

Three tickets bought. Hope they charge that nose strut before I pick it up! :)

I might be interested in a cheap Cessna 150. One of my friends (student) desperatly needs to put ~20 hours on one.

I plan on keeping it for a little while, sorry. Until I can afford an upgrade to a bigger plan (My wife has a serious PEZ dispenser addiction. Her collection is over 1,000 and she is dragging me to a weekend convention this year) I plan to fly it as much as I can.

Got my tickets....need to get all the FRG pilots to get their 3 tickets so we can set up our partnership when we win :)

Did everyone who purchased tickets online actually get their tickets in the mail yet?

I plan on keeping it for a little while, sorry. Until I can afford an upgrade to a bigger plan (My wife has a serious PEZ dispenser addiction. Her collection is over 1,000 and she is dragging me to a weekend convention this year) I plan to fly it as much as I can.

She needs a cheaper hobby. How much was your plane? 75 bucks?

I bought one. I have not received my ticket in the mail yet.

Bought 1. Good luck everyone

Did everyone who purchased tickets online actually get their tickets in the mail yet?
I put in a call to them earlier today and received the response below. I made my purchase on 4/4/2014.

Dear Mr. O'Malley,

First let me thank you for entering the Wings of Hope Cessna 172 Raffle. Second, I must apologize for the tardiness in mailing your tickets. On the date you made your purchase we experienced a brief glitch that prevented us from receiving email receipts from Pay Pal and we do not have your mailing address. If you will respond to this message with your address, we will put the tickets in the mail.

Please be assured that the email receipt problem was limited to a few hours. Any future purchase you make should process automatically.

Again, thanks for your interest in the raffle.

Sincerely,

Christine Waltz
Wings of Hope Volunteer

Just got my tickets in the mail.

I put in a call to them earlier today and received the response below. I made my purchase on 4/4/2014.

Dear Mr. O'Malley,

First let me thank you for entering the Wings of Hope Cessna 172 Raffle. Second, I must apologize for the tardiness in mailing your tickets. On the date you made your purchase we experienced a brief glitch that prevented us from receiving email receipts from Pay Pal and we do not have your mailing address. If you will respond to this message with your address, we will put the tickets in the mail.

Please be assured that the email receipt problem was limited to a few hours. Any future purchase you make should process automatically.

Again, thanks for your interest in the raffle.

Sincerely,

Christine Waltz
Wings of Hope Volunteer

I don't believe I have received mine either. Just sent an email to check up on it.

Received my tickets today in mail. I then called to order 3 more. Apparently, there were two glitches. One was with the pay pal, the other was that the initial tickets were printed incorrectly.

The tickets were mailed sometime last week. Good luck everyone. Will be going down there on May 11 (daughters 25 birthday to visit here) on my long IR cross country, and they graciously invited me, instructor, and daughter to visit them.

There have been about 700 tickets sold so far according to the email I received today, not too bad for 3 weeks. They also told me about the printing issue as well.....maybe my bad luck so far will turn into good luck come drawing time :)

I'm guessing that I should be receiving the call from WOH in regards to winning this year's raffle any day now :)

I'm guessing that I should be receiving the call from WOH in regards to winning this year's raffle any day now :)

Nice try, the article will read:

"Triple amputee aircraft mechanic and pilot of Nebraska wins airplane raffle"
:D

I'll send you all pictures after I pick it up!

John

Just so you know, I'll most likely be looking for partners when I do win....It will be based out of KFRG on Long Island.

Anyone know if winning something like this triggers a "you now owe the IRS something" event?

If it were a raffle for a low dollar item, the Feds wouldn't blink, but since this is something in the 5-digit range....

Oh, yes. If not immediately at least on next year's taxes.

John

Anyone know if winning something like this triggers a "you now owe the IRS something" event?

If it were a raffle for a low dollar item, the Feds wouldn't blink, but since this is something in the 5-digit range....

Maybe technically, but I wouldn't claim it and if asked by the IRS about it I would say "My computer crashed".

I will let you know Mike.

Yup, like any prize you will have to pay sales tax. A 172 for the price of the tax? Sign me up! :)

EDIT: Upon further investigation, this airplane is serial # 17266931 which per Type Certificate Data Sheet 3A12 Revision 83, is equipped with an O-320-E2D, not an H2AD.
Yep, only the 172N (1977-80 model years) was built with the H2AD engine.

That said, the H2AD in mine went to 1700 hours on its second run, trouble-free, before we swapped it out for an O-360.

:dunno:

Back