Why does POA call it a PPL, when it is a Certificate?

geezer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kruse'n
Shouldn't it be the PPC?

Fear that it would be confused with the other PPC?

The perfectionists here should be insisting we have the correct acronym.

edited to add :)

If you Google PPC, you will find good reason not to claim holding a PPC while at an airport.

Last edited:
Shouldn't it be the PPC?

If you Google PPC, you will find good reason not to claim holding a PPC while at an airport.

Pay-per-click? Better than claiming you hold a PCC at an airport...

Some people are not good with acronyms

(SPANGWA)

giphy.gif

First Google listing when I searched for PPC was Professional Pyrotechnics Certificate, required for large scale use of explosives and visual fireworks type materials. This includes bombs. Not what you would prefer to discuss with TSA.

First Google listing when I searched for PPC was Professional Pyrotechnics Certificate, required for large scale use of explosives and visual fireworks type materials. This includes bombs. Not what you would prefer to discuss with TSA.
I prefer not to discuss much of anything with TSA. I just torment them with harmonicas in my carry on.

In the FAA's Powered Parachute Flying Handbook, they refer to a Powered Parachute as a PPC. Then if you get a license to fly one, which I have, you have a PPPC, or Powered Parachute Pilot Certificate!
Actually, it,would be a SPC with a PPC endorsement, although I was at one time going to add the endorsement to my ATPC.

Why is a PTT called push to talk? I can talk just fine without pushing it, but I won't transmit until it's pushed.

I think that’s the code you input when you sign up for the written so that’s why.

PPC- Palmisano and Pindel Cartridge. The 6 PPC was, and still is, one of the best designed cartridges for short range Bench Rest rifle competition. Neat little cartridge based of a Russian parent case (.220 Russian IIRC).

Pedantism aside, like Geezer, I also wonder why it is always referred to as a license and not a certificate. For the record, I do refer to it as a certificate but I have also been accused of being certifiable (not in the medical record so I do not need Dr. Bruce's advice ;)).

Shouldn't it be the PPC?

Maybe because the FAA use of certificate is incorrect.

Certificates are generally issued by non governmental agencies as a statement of accomplishment or completion.

Licenses are issued by government agencies as a statement of permission to an occupation or activity. Ie. Fishing license, plumbers license, drivers license.

Actually, it,would be a SPC with a PPC endorsement, although I was at one time going to add the endorsement to my ATPC.
You can see how it gets confusing though. They actually have a chapter titled, Powered Parachute Pilot Certificate.

I am a PRIVATE PILOT - AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND with "SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) POWERED PARACHUTE LAND"

You can see how it gets confusing though. They actually have a chapter titled, Powered Parachute Pilot Certificate.

I am a PRIVATE PILOT - AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND with "SPORT ENDORSEMENT(S) POWERED PARACHUTE LAND"
remember, these are the same people who discussed Wench Launching in the original Glider Flying Handbook.

Originally, the US issued pilot licenses when the Aeronautics Branch was under the Dept of Commerce. However, when the CAA was formed separately, and the new rules were written, it was changed to a pilot competency certificate and the new rules even addressed the change from a license to a certificate as shown below. Regardless, there was also an old rumor that made the rounds that another reason it was changed was someone was able to win a lawsuit against the government based solely on the differences between a license vs certificate and who assumed the ultimate responsibility of its issuance. This era is also where the saying about an aircraft was "out of license" came from vs out of annual as back then only the CAA performed the annual inspections which included the issuance of a new AMC to "license" the aircraft for another year.

"And now you know the rest of the story...";)

1724080330888.png
1724080362240.png

1724080722396.png

I prefer not to discuss much of anything with TSA. I just torment them with harmonicas in my carry on.
My favorite TSA moment was when I told the inspector, "It's a bassoon. That's a musical instrument," and she said "I know. I'm an oboist." :)

In Canada we have pilot licenses. Some other stuff is called a permit. Here's a list from the index to the relevant section of the CARs:

1724081812469.png

Too late. You're on their radar now.

One reason I’ve heard is that a certificate is documentation of something achieved, such as passing a checkride (or demonstrating satisfactory performance on an oral and practical examination), versus a license grants authorization to act.

Well, you can’t legally fly without a pilot certificate. For all practical purposes, a pilot certificate is a license.

Who cares, let’s go fly.

Shouldn't they all be UA operated by UAS? Huh? UAV? RPV? Drone? Oh, wrong question? Well.....

The abbreviation PPL is not a POA thing, it's an internet thing. And it is officially a license in other countries.

Isn't this the same organization that says my limitation to my certificate is that I'm English proficient? PPL, PPC, whatever you want to call it, if you have one go flying.

A good pilot is always learning and now students are called learners so maybe POA is ahead of the curve ... :dunno:

Cuz whatever it is technically the general non aviation population is stupid and they can relate to the term license in conversation...like a driver's license...certificate is something you get for participating in something you didn't win at...

Certificates are generally issued by non governmental agencies as a statement of accomplishment or completion.

Licenses are issued by government agencies as a statement of permission to an occupation or activity. Ie. Fishing license, plumbers license, drivers license.
Exactly.

Although the legal term “license” has some other meanings too which apply to non-governmental parties, that’s basically correct.

Cuz whatever it is technically the general non aviation population is stupid and they can relate to the term license in conversation...like a driver's license...certificate is something you get for participating in something you didn't win at...
A certificate is evidence that you've been certified to do something. But we're not allowed to say certified, because the FAA will think the general population will believe a certified pilot or certified flight instructor has been approved by the FAA to be a pilot or flight instructor. And we can't have that.

Back