Which plane for this mission?

Alex, it's pretty obvious you made up those specs...

Vans doesn't have any Continental-powered aircraft! They're all Lycoming! ;)

Seriously, that post had me laughing as hard as the first one and Wayne's "which engine" follow up. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

You know how this place is, if I didn't say Continental's someone would have called B.S. and said that kind of performance isn't possible unless you run LOP.:dunno:

Where is that website where we create the conversations between the Lear captain and the FBO clerk? or the Baron pilot bragging about his fuel mileage? Where oh where?

I think I split a gut....

Last edited:
"Xtranormal"??

"...and I can fly from Virgina to Arizona nonstop in less than six hours. It has plenty of baggage room for eight...."

Last edited:
"Xtranormal"??

"...and I can fly from Virgina to Arizona nonstop in less than six hours. It has plenty of baggage room for eight...."

Booooooooooooo.....

Now you have to pay to make the movies.

I have been a member of this forum for 2 days, and I'm already highly satisfied with this thread alone.

I have been a member of this forum for 2 days, and I'm already highly satisfied with this thread alone.

You picked the right one to start with. Smart man (or woman?) to click here first. ;)

Welcome to PoA!

OK, well I wasn't going to say anything, but I have some information about the new Van's RV 1001 transport category home built. Modeled after a 747-8l, but able to be constructed in your barn or even outdoors. This aircraft has some impressive performance numbers:

Gross: 1,313,000 lb.
Empty weight: 3,000 lb.
Useful load: 1,310,000 lb.
Performance: Mach .98
Service Ceiling: FL700
Range: Unlimited with solar cell option
Engines: Two Continental IO-470's JATO assisted
Fuel type: 87 Octane Auto Fuel
Fuel burn: 60 lb. per hour
Fuel capacity: All of it
Inspection schedule: Whenever someone gets around to it and never during the playoffs
Pilot: One sober, otherwise two
Construction time estimate: Girl Scout Troop 43 completed one in 14 weeks and are now flying it Denver to Beijing direct

Here's a photo of one of the first completed models, built by two nail techs in their garage apartment:

That's a DeHavilland Dove I believe and it came with Gypsy Majors on it IIRC. Actually a pretty decent plane.

That will soon change. Start a thread with this title: Why the RV-10 is the worst plane ever conceived by the mind of man, and why experimental builder/pilots are a deviant lifeform And then stand by. :D

That's a DeHavilland Dove I believe and it came with Gypsy Majors on it IIRC. Actually a pretty decent plane.

Damit, that is the latest and greatest RV 1001, built by two nail techs in their garage apartment. Perhaps it would be easier to recognize as an RV if we painted the invasion stripes on it?:wink2:

It's not a Dove (the picture). Different...well...everything.

Seriously, that post had me laughing as hard as the first one and Wayne's "which engine" follow up. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

I think the RV 1001 will get the Chrysler V-10 'Viper' engines....

Back