Where are you on the global fat scale?

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
Though my rapidly expanding abdomen would belie it, I am below average both nationally and globally. Where are you?

Below average in US; a little bit above average globally.

Working hard to fix that!

hmm - below average for US, above average for rest of world.

It says: "You're most like someone from Iran"

If I just lost a couple pounds, I'd be "most like someone from Jamaica"

Nifty, I have a BMI of 21! Below 96% of Americans in my bracket of 45-59 and 81% of the world. I fit right in as a Nepalese or Rawandan.... :D

Apparently at 15% body fat I'm in the obese category and above average in the US and the world. :rolleyes:

BMI is such a crock.

Apparently at 15% body fat I'm in the obese category and above average in the US and the world. :rolleyes:

BMI is such a crock.

Not quite that bad for me, but yeah BMI doesn't seem to work so well for outliers on the height scale

Below average, both US and globally. (Thanks to my weight loss so far this year... hey, my clothes are too big!).

I'm a slim, good looking guy, for an American, however, on a global scale, I'm a big fatso.

This is cool though, I played with the numbers until I was below average on a global scale, and all I have to do is lose eight pounds.

As it is now, I would fit right into Iranian society.

-John

I always thought there was a bone measurement, typically the elbow, to put into a BMI calculation?

BMI is such a crock.

+1000 Created by stick people who want to justify a lack of muscle and bone mass as being "healthy". Perhaps revenge for getting a wedgie everyday of their school aged lives.

Lower than average in both.

Lower than 90% of US females in my cohort.

Lower than 70% of world females in my cohort.

I am most like someone in Vietnam.

Told by a girl in Australia a couple years ago:

"You are thin for an American!"

For everyone that doesn't score well: Just wait until McDonald's is fully global for a few years. Then BMI-2 will come out and.... we'll all be normal. Whooop!

I'm most like someone from Micronesia... :sad:

Working on it though, been moderately successful.

It thinks I live in Micronesia....

Lost 10# in the past two months, though - otherwise I'd have been from.... Ummm.... The fat end of Micronesia??
:redface:

BMI = 19. According to this I have a BMI less than 96% of the women my age. LOL... I guess I'm not doing too badly for "my age". :rolleyes: However, it's interesting to note that this goes down to 88% when I take into account heritage/racial background and country of residence. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm...

seems I'm "most like someone from Papua New Guinea". (Compared with other females aged 45-59 in Papua New Guinea)

And then there was this:

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 30,777,741 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population. :rolleyes:

Though my rapidly expanding abdomen would belie it, I am below average both nationally and globally. Where are you?

Hmmm... don't know where I am on the scale. Been trying to put on a few pounds for the last 20 years! :D

Gary

Told by a girl in Australia a couple years ago:

"You are thin for an American!"

It was hilarious, I'm at a big barby in Melbourne, TV was on in the house and there was this thing on obesity in America and in typical 'Aussie Aussie Aussie, oy oy oy' fashion the ripping on the Sepos began. I pointed out that I was the thinnest of the bunch there and that half the people present looked like the people in the report.:lol: The good thing about Aussies is that they will actually stop and think when you point out incongruities in their thinking.

Ok, I just saw the linky.

It says I'm at 24 BMI, which coincides with someone from Mauritania.

Still BS, my fat content has been measured at a level much lower than what corresponds with a 24 BMI.

From my times spent at airports, I have a feeling that most pilots, male and female, are below average in weight as compared to most Americans. Being at a GA airport is almost like being at the beach. The further you get from the beach, the fatter the asses.

-John

Micronesia?? Seriously? Crud. I don't put a lot of stock in BMI to begin with, since it doesn't take into account a lot of factors.

My 22 year old son is 6-1", 280#. I'm 5-11/270 at the moment. We both rank very high, 99% for the US and 100% globally. I'll readily admit that I'm out of shape and could stand to lose 75# or so. He's a football player, played from junior high through college (on scholarship) and even recently played an IFL pro game. He can bench over 400# and squat over 700, and could probably jog for several hours straight without getting tired. And yet, by BMI standards, we're apparently both the same.

I played around with what it would take for me to come out as "average" for the US in my age range. I haven't seen that weight since I was 20 years old, wearing splotchy green clothes and running 4-7 miles every morning. I can tell you I was most certainly not in "average" condition then, either.

Weird survey

You have a lower BMI than 94% of males aged 15-29 in your country
You have a lower BMI than 69% of males aged 15-29 in the world
You're most like someone from Central African Republic

BMI is such a crock.

I've previously been considered "overweight" when I was 8.5% body fat (hydrostatic weighing, not a simple electrolysis scale or whatever). BMI really is a bad measurement system.

From my times spent at airports, I have a feeling that most pilots, male and female, are below average in weight as compared to most Americans. Being at a GA airport is almost like being at the beach. The further you get from the beach, the fatter the asses.
My observation is that people who live in big cities where lots of walking is required tend to be below the average, for example New York and San Francisco.

"If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 547,537 tonnes fromthe total weight of the world's population "

Golly, Gee!

But my weight has been +/- 3lbs of current for 40 years.

Micronesia?? Seriously? Crud. I don't put a lot of stock in BMI to begin with, since it doesn't take into account a lot of factors.

My 22 year old son is 6-1", 280#. I'm 5-11/270 at the moment. We both rank very high, 99% for the US and 100% globally. I'll readily admit that I'm out of shape and could stand to lose 75# or so. He's a football player, played from junior high through college (on scholarship) and even recently played an IFL pro game. He can bench over 400# and squat over 700, and could probably jog for several hours straight without getting tired. And yet, by BMI standards, we're apparently both the same.

I played around with what it would take for me to come out as "average" for the US in my age range. I haven't seen that weight since I was 20 years old, wearing splotchy green clothes and running 4-7 miles every morning. I can tell you I was most certainly not in "average" condition then, either.
Lesson: Don't waste the effort! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But hey - it's good to know I have a friend with me in Micronesia! :hairraise: :yikes:

"You're most like someone from Ireland"

Probably in a couple of ways..

You have a lower BMI than 69% of males aged 30-44 in your country.
You have a higher BMI than 68% of males aged 30-44 in the world.

In other words, most Americans are big

Most like a somalian. Im a skinny son of a gun.

National
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 97% of males aged 15-29 in your country

Global
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 81% of males aged 15-29 in the world

Below average for both... It seems that I am Laotian

Back