What do you use in your mouse traps?

Buy cheaper peanut butter. You have to pay extra for the healthy, all natural "no-preservative" stuff.
But even the health stuff should last a month after opening, or maybe only a couple of weeks in a hot, humid hangar, but as has been said, if you aren't catching anything in that time frame, you don't really have a problem.

But mice and rats are smart. You should probably vary you bait occasionally anyway to confuse them. Perhaps a piece of banana (won't last long) or cheese. Who cares if cheese molds; its made from mold anyway.

If using antifreeze, be careful that your pets dog (or pets belonging to others dogs) can't get to it.

Last edited:
And cats. Don't forget cats.
But if you have cats you probably don't need mouse traps.
(post edited)
I knew dogs were attracted to antifreeze but didn’t know about any others

I keep any food including dog food in a container with snap on lid in a refrigerator in the hangar when I am not there. I make sure there is no pieces of dog food laying around when I leave.
Sorry but I use decon for many years, in my work shop, home garage, storage garage and hangar. I have never found a dead mouse except once in my workshop at work. I understand they go looking for water after and I make sure there is no water like the dog dish sitting around when I leave. It is in those square plastic boxes so pets can't get to it.
My MIL had mice under her sink in her kitchen. There was mice droppings in all the drawers too. Gross! They ate a box and a half in a weeks time but we never found one dead mouse in her house and basement because I looked several times in the weeks afterwards. It sure works and we never saw or had to handle any dead mice.
Don't leave any food crums and you will reduce your mice attraction. imo

D-Con contains warfarin. It is a blood thinner and makes them bleed internally. It also makes them thirsty, so they go to water. And that keeps them from dying inside your walls or in your airplane.

The BEST thing to control mice is a black snake. We used to free feed our dogs (left dry food out for them). LOTS of mice. Then a lot less mice, but we were seeing two snake skins a week in the wires over our electrical panel. But no more mice.

Even if you do not have a mouse problem, Shawn Woods (above) videos are endlessly entertaining--Mouse Trap Mondays!
Warning! Potential Rabbit, ah, Mouse hole!

If using antifreeze, be careful that your pets dog (or pets belonging to others dogs) can't get to it.
I use non toxic antifreeze intended for RV water systems, it doesn't taste good to dogs or cats.. Cheaper than glycol, too.
And cats. Don't forget cats.
But if you have cats you probably don't need mouse traps.
Hah! We have indoor/outdoor cats (cat door). The cats bring in as many mice from outside (and then lose them) as they catch inside.
Sorry but I use decon for many years, in my work shop, home garage, storage garage and hangar. I have never found a dead mouse except once in my workshop at work. I understand they go looking for water after
So they say, but my wife puts out mouse poison blocks and I'm always opening up walls to find where the smell is coming from.

At one point we had a black snake living under the cabin, no mice that summer. But in winter when the snakes are hibernating...

I use non toxic antifreeze intended for RV water systems, it doesn't taste good to dogs or cats.. Cheaper than glycol, too.

Hah! We have indoor/outdoor cats (cat door). The cats bring in as many mice from outside (and then lose them) as they catch inside.

So they say, but my wife puts out mouse poison blocks and I'm always opening up walls to find where the smell is coming from.

At one point we had a black snake living under the cabin, no mice that summer. But in winter when the snakes are hibernating...
Luckily we have never had mice in our house, so far. So no wall removal looking for the smell.
Now the shops, are shops are concrete or metal walls like in the hangars so no where for them to get into.
By the time I found the dead mouse in my work shop it was dried up and no smell that I noticed.

Now my MIL house is a home with drywall and wood studs. Still she never noticed or complained about smell and I never found any or smelled them. She already had locks on her cabinet doors to keeps her young grand daughters out so the open de con boxes were protected from her dog and grand kids. They ate it within a couple 3 days, under a week and then it stopped disappearing, the bait. Like I said it worked.

Last edited:
That's why you use antifreeze even if it's not freezing temperatures; it seems to pickle them so there's no smell. We use the bucket traps when we leave our cabin closed up for a couple of months during the off season.
In my bucket traps, I use laundry detergent in the water to help avoid smell. Antifreeze is too likely to be consumed by one of the dumber animals who live in my house.

Back