Want a little go fast?

I read a statistic somewhere that 50% of all Glasair taildraggers have groundlooped. Not surprising to read that damage history on this one.

I read a statistic somewhere that 50% of all Glasair taildraggers have groundlooped. Not surprising to read that damage history on this one.

Does that look like a water tank in the pax seat?

Couldn't see it in the pics for some reason-ADI fluid maybe? Or was it smaller than that?

Looks big to me, there s a pic of the panel with the pax footwell cutout, and it looks like it has a rectangular tank in it, similar to the size I see on the RARA racers using the water spray systems to cool the cylinders... and people worry about shock cooling by pulling back more than one inch a minute.:rofl:

That is a Glasair II. Looks normal to me; I do not see a tank there from the pics available.

That is a Glasair II. Looks normal to me; I do not see a tank there from the pics available.

Here's the pic I'm looking at. Is that the normal height of the footwell/knee opening in that plane? It just seems awfully small to me which is why I thought he built a tank there. It's not unheard of to see them at RARA.

image.jpeg

To fast for me ,thanks.

Is it the higher approach/landing speed, narrow gear, or are they just squirrely?

Here's the pic I'm looking at. Is that the normal height of the footwell/knee opening in that plane? It just seems awfully small to me which is why I thought he built a tank there. It's not unheard of to see them at RARA.

View attachment 42997
I thought it was but I am more familiar with the Lancairs.
The Lancair has a small area of foot space at the footwell/knee opening and the wings are removable. The Glasair wing is 1 piece.
Also, consider that this is not a retract. As such it may have support in that area for the gear legs.

Is it the higher approach/landing speed, narrow gear, or are they just squirrely?

I can tell you why.;) People give the mains toe in instead of toe out. Common misperception I have found with builders of tail draggers, give them some toe in like you do a car, but the physics are completely different. Toe in makes any tail dragger squirly.

Last edited:
Nah, that's just the seat pan / leading edge of the wing on the right side. Velcro for seat cushions. Can see the wing attachment bracket as well.

Last edited:
Just took the cushions, among other things, off of mine yesterday. Condition Inspection time.

Nice. To me the tank would have been a bonus as I'd rig it for more fuel.:D The seller is a good guy, and has a fair price IMO.

Nice. To me the tank would have been a bonus as I'd rig it for more fuel.:D The seller is a good guy, and has a fair price IMO.

Some of those guys do rig them with tanks. I know of a TD in Sport Aviation mag back in the 90s that had tanks up front and filled the entire baggage area for a distance record try. I'll try and find the issue.

I can tell you why.;) People give the mains toe in instead of toe out. Common misperception I have found with builders of tail draggers, give them some toe in like you do a car, but the physics are completely different. Toe in makes any tail dragger squirly.
You know, it feels like you've brought this up 20 times this week. Maybe it's the bourbon, but now I'm curious... Feels like some toe out would be just as bad

You know, it feels like you've brought this up 20 times this week. Maybe it's the bourbon, but now I'm curious... Feels like some toe out would be just as bad

Nope, the inside wheel becomes the pivot in a TW plane, so when it swings the tail, if there is no toe, or toe in, the outside wheel has to travel a greater distanced but the wheel geometry is set for a tighter arc than the inside wheel which serves to accelerate the swing. With toe out it either prescribes the correct, or a larger arc, so the wheel adds resistance to the swing.

Nope, the inside wheel becomes the pivot in a TW plane, so when it swings the tail, if there is no toe, or toe in, the outside wheel has to travel a greater distanced but the wheel geometry is set for a tighter arc than the inside wheel which serves to accelerate the swing. With toe out it either prescribes the correct, or a larger arc, so the wheel adds resistance to the swing.

That's not why we put in .5 degrees of toe out.

Back