Twin Ownership - Year 1 The ups and downs

Hmm, maybe I should write up years 2 to 7. Still flying it over 100 hours a year, still taking the granddaughters to the beach (they are friggen spoiled), overhauled the right engine last year (left one still going strong), still doing annual recurrent training (have used, RST, AST and Executive), done some panel upgrades, attend TTCFF annual conference every year, taken it to Gaston’s (yes, no problem landing on grass) and Rough River flyins, fly my private students to St Simons Island for barbecue, use it for my packaging machinery sales business, and in general still consider the purchase to have been a good one.
Always willing to share experience good and bad with anyone considering a twin Cessna. If one fits your mission, it could be a great choice like it was for me.

The G500 issue was, the boot controller location interferes with location of the pitch trim controller. The prototype certification PA 34 200T was NOT a known ice model. I've finally gotten the authority to move those items. Y'all Complain about medical branch. HA! Small aircraft directorate is second to none. And, The HE_L I'm giving up FIKI.

Getting my tanks done- the LAST ITEM on the AC to be done required ripping off the boots (destroying them), new boots, proper part number but midway through the reassembly despite the PN, BFG shipped a set with the spigots in an improper location. Cracked rib in the left outboard cherokee tank (the A/C has 4 such)resulted in occasional smoking rivets, so I knew that had to be dealt with- after the Paint match, = 30K. Ran out of annual. Brake issue left side- the Brake assembly is held on with a "round the trunnion" Clamp, which needed replaced.

The high voltage strobes had to go- another 5K....+ (Pulses upset Garmin computers).
The Actual install is to begin this Sept 15.

Like Lance, "WE ARE NOT DONE YET".
(And, your grandaughters look like Sue!)

B

Last edited:
All 28s and 32s I’ve seen use bladders. Same with the Seneca
The Archer nor the Cherokee use bladders, they’re both wet wings. I’ve not seen a 28 with bladders before.

The G500 issue was, the boot controller location interferes with location of the pitch trim controller. The prototype certification PA 34 200T was NOT a known ice model. I've finally gotten the authority to move those items. Y'all Complain about medical branch. HA! Small aircraft directorate is second to none. And, The HE_L I'm giving up FIKI.

Getting my tanks done- the LAST ITEM on the AC to be done required ripping off the boots (destroying them), new boots, proper part number but midway through the reassembly despite the PN, BFG shipped a set with the spigots in an improper location. Cracked rib in the left outboard cherokee tank (the A/C has 4 such)resulted in occasional smoking rivets, so I knew that had to be dealt with- after the Paint match, = 30K. Ran out of annual. Brake issue left side- the Brake assembly is held on with a "round the trunnion" Clamp, which needed replaced.

The high voltage strobes had to go- another 5K....+ (Pulses upset Garmin computers).
The Actual install is to begin this Sept 15.

Like Lance, "WE ARE NOT DONE YET".
(And, your grandaughters look like Sue!)

B
Ahhh. Forgot about the boots. I resealed the tanks in my Lance last year, and while expensive, wasn't THAT bad.

Keep at it. Hopefully you'll have garmin all straightened out before I put an autopilot in my seneca ten years from now :biggrin:

By the way, if you're ever looking to sell....

I'm not Lance but he mentioned earlier in the thread he uses S&S Aviation at Cherokee Co. airport (CNI). Of course this thread is 6 years old so perhaps he's using someone else. I'm sure he'll pop in to comment.
I use them as well, since 2007, and I’ve been very happy with them. They stay busy, but do good work and not cheap, but reasonable. If that word can be used in relation to aircraft maintenance.

Back