Turbo Arrow lands on golf course in Sacramento

Do what? practice turbo failure? pull the throttle back. Sure it's a guess about how it will perform with a real failure. Ya prolly want to pull manifold pressure below the current density altitude pressure. It's sorta like any engine failure practice, not perfect but ya get to practice figuring out whatchgonnado.
That makes sense. It never occurred to me to try that.

Do what? practice turbo failure? pull the throttle back. Sure it's a guess about how it will perform with a real failure. Ya prolly want to pull manifold pressure below the current density altitude pressure. It's sorta like any engine failure practice, not perfect but ya get to practice figuring out whatchgonnado.
I haven’t read any turbo POHs. Twins typically give some information on power settings to simulate a zero thrust, feathered engine without actually shutting it down. Do turbo (charged or normalized) planes come with some similar guidance to simulate a turbo failure?

I haven’t read any turbo POHs. Twins typically give some information on power settings to simulate a zero thrust, feathered engine without actually shutting it down. Do turbo (charged or normalized) planes come with some similar guidance to simulate a turbo failure?
I think Piper only lists Engine Power loss in the emergency procedures section for the turbo's Cherokees. They didn't get very specific about the possible cause of the loss though they did give a few hints about things like running a tank dry or having an air intake ice-up. I have no idea what Cessna or Beach advised about turbos. It would be interesting to know how much restriction is caused by a stalled turbo...and how much back-pressure it adds to the exhaust system. Fer sure it'd be a real mess.

Would that just be the current pressure altitude? I’d think that the density is what it is, you don’t need to simulate it further.

Back