Tricky tumor question

P

Pilotgai

I was (mis)diagnosed with a lipoma in my hip last November, went ahead and got my 3rd Class, AME said meh no problem. Fast forward to today and doctor now thinks it’s something called a Desmoid tumor, which is not cancer, but can grow aggressively. Not causing impairment or pain of any sort right now, got a biopsy and will get results next week. I plan on contacting an AME then.

But just wondering if anyone has come accross something like this? The tumor is technically benign, but it’s a bigger deal than a lipoma for sure. Some treatments for it could include medications and even radiation, which I assume would be grounding. But likely treatment will be to wait and see if it grows or shrinks (which is possible). I looked everywhere I could in FAA docs and can’t find something similar that would suggest whether it’s disqualifying or not. If it doesn’t cause impairment, doesn’t metastasize and doesn’t need immediate treatment but is potentially an aggressively growing tumor how would the FAA view that? It’s particularly complicated because they likely won’t remove it, so I can’t say it’s resolved in any way either.

Has anyone else had experience with this type of thing?

Or go "hybrid" - have them both while you sort things out.
As long as sorting things out doesn't involve applying for another medical.

Desmoids are far from "benign." While they don't typically metastasize, they can be pretty invasive to wherever they're located.

In my opinion the FAA protocols for these things: Desmoids, parotids, is way whacked out compared to the risk.

Of course. He already has the class 3; he can get Basic Med at any time. No rule against having both (I did).
I did both too. The advantage of having two before you need it is that when something comes up that makes you unable to meet the requirements for certification (e.g.high blood pressure, kidney stones, various tumors that require an extensive workup, etc., etc.) you don't necessarily need to self-ground while that is investigated. You are good to go right away under Basic Med, and that can last for four years by just doing an only course without an unnecessary doctor's visit. You get to make the decisions on day one of finding a diagnosis that MIGHT lead to a Special Issuance.

Back