This is about the most pointless NOTAM I've seen

Re the light bulb, maybe the sign is run by the municipality, and they don't have the budget for a new bulb. I kinda kid, but I've seen similar in real life.

These days a lot of the fixtures are LED, and the bulbs are not serviceable. You have to replace the entire fixture, which according to my most recent invoice is $335. And for some reason there is a massive backlog right now. I ordered replacement fixtures, for spares mind you, 4 months ago and they just shipped. In that time we have used up the existing spares and now another one out already.

The FAA does not require a NOTAM be issued for a single light out, so we don't. We are permitted to have up to 15% of the edge lights for any particular surface out and still be in compliance. We don't usually allow a light to remain out, unless we run out of replacements and can't get one soon enough, such as now.

Now don't even get me started on the entire NOTAM system. I've voiced my opinion on that in other threads.

The airport doesn't, but the FBO isn't open past the tower hours. The 24 hour self-serve fuel is in a completely different location than the FBO sign directs you to.
And what if I'm not there to get fuel?

Like @jayhawk74 said, you can still use an FBO ramp when they're closed. It's not too rare for me to arrive somewhere after closing, park the plane, and split. I'll get fuel and other FBO services as necessary the following day.

These days a lot of the fixtures are LED, and the bulbs are not serviceable. You have to replace the entire fixture, which according to my most recent invoice is $335. And for some reason there is a massive backlog right now. I ordered replacement fixtures, for spares mind you, 4 months ago and they just shipped. In that time we have used up the existing spares and now another one out already.

That's a pet peeve of mine re the LEDs. Last I knew, most white LED's were really blue or shorter LEDs with a phosphor to add other bits to the spectrum. Which means like any phosphor, they eventually burn out. So most white LEDs are almost as consumable as fluorescent, so they should be standardized bulb/socket.

We have too much disposable stuff in the world already, disposable fixtures are just annoying.

That's a pet peeve of mine re the LEDs. Last I knew, most white LED's were really blue or shorter LEDs with a phosphor to add other bits to the spectrum. Which means like any phosphor, they eventually burn out. So most white LEDs are almost as consumable as fluorescent, so they should be standardized bulb/socket.

We have too much disposable stuff in the world already, disposable fixtures are just annoying.
In my experience, it is not the LED that is usually the point of failure, it is the driver. Fun part I've found with a lot of commercial fixtures, the driver is usually not serviceable, and if it is it probably was obsoleted about 5 minutes after you installed it and is now unobtainable.

I am beginning to miss lightbulbs.

In my experience, it is not the LED that is usually the point of failure, it is the driver. Fun part I've found with a lot of commercial fixtures, the driver is usually not serviceable, and if it is it probably was obsoleted about 5 minutes after you installed it and is now unobtainable.
I've fixed a couple of LED bulbs with my trusty soldering iron. And you're right, the LEDs themselves rarely fail.

Unfortunately, it seems the popular thing to do is to fill the base of the bulb with potting compound which makes fixing anything nearly impossible. They've also taken to making them so the only methods of opening the bulb at all are destructive. :mad:

Back