Theft from plane

Kent, it gets easier than that, especially for you. For the absolute best price on 4509 bulbs, go to your local truck parts dealer (or your company's maintenance shop). Usually about 1/2 the price that you would pay from the aircraft parts store for the same bulb. (Truckers use them for back up lights)

Uh... We do? I haven't ever seen one in a truck shop. :dunno:

Theft from aircraft is more common than you think. Just a few months ago several hangars and airplanes based at Lees Summit were broken into. The hot item the SOB's went after were GPS units, headsets, portable intercoms and any other ebay type items. The last press release by the local police said that they had two suspects and were trying to locate them. And Mr. Henning was right about the FBI, they did not want any part of it and referred everyone back to the local LE.

Mr. Henning- You & I know that, but but our knowledge doesn't translate to the rest of the USA. Likewise people think airplane engines are really powerful too.

Getting back on the thread- report it to the FBI. At the least, if they catch the SOBs, there is another count potentially added to the list which can be used in sentencing.

Try to report it to the FBI, they might even humor you, typically, they tell you to call the local PD. The only time they'll get involved is post accident caused by sabotage or if someone finds something done to an airliner.

:rolleyes: You might encounter disappointment, so don't even bother to try, is that it?

Good life lesson.

Uh... We do? I haven't ever seen one in a truck shop. :dunno:
Oh, like you'd know! You just send your trainees in while you record the latest PilotCast! (BTW, when's the next one coming out?) :yes::D:rofl::rofl:

Oh, and ask Scott to tell you about how he wound up with a plane with new avionics when he bought it! (I think he's mentioned it here before.)

Ah, you're probably all running LEDs! :)

Well... Kinda. About 80-90% of our trailers have LED's for the taillights and marker lights. About 30-40% of those have LED side marker/turn signals as well, while the rest are dual-filament sealed beams. The rest of the trailers (the oldest) have sealed-beam taillights markers.

As for the tractors, the "Freightshakers" like I drive have LED taillights, a single sealed-beam reverse light, plain old replace-the-bulb side marker/turn signals, headlights, and "eyebrow" markers. A nicer truck like a Volvo uses LED's on the markers and tail, HID headlights, but still has replaceable-bulb side marker/turn signals. Not sure why those haven't gone to LED's yet.

You should always report a theft to the police, no matter how small or insignificant you might think it is. Or perhaps you might think that there is no chance that the police can do anything, so you don't want to bother them with it. Report it anyway. Often times the cops can not solve a theft from just a single incident, but as the thief continues to commit his crimes, the evidence starts to add up. If the cop can start looking at all the thefts as a whole, he can start looking for commonalities. Most theft cases are solved sooner or later, if people are reporting them. As far as the FBI, they are pretty political. If someone high up gets excited about thefts from airplanes, the FBI might have a whole task force dedicated to it. However, if they are after people who take tags off of pillows, your not going to get much attention.

If the cop can start looking at all the thefts as a whole, he can start looking for commonalities. Most theft cases are solved sooner or later, if people are reporting them.

Not to mention that police property rooms are full of stolen stuff recovered eventually, but not returned to owners because they never reported it stolen in the first place or (and when it's sold at a police auction, the city gets the money... incentive enough for me to report it). Which reminds me... write down those serial numbers (if the item has one of course)! A large percentage of stolen items returned are the result of some street cop running an item's serial number through the computer. Without the number being entered, they may have no way of knowing it's stolen and it gets left in some thief's car instead of being confiscated.

....I wouldnt say anything to your insuance company..as a former underwriter ANY FORM of claim activity will up your "insurance score" and could give the ins company an excuse to raise your rate.

Last edited:
Back