The greatest invention ever....

ugh - warm at night? Sounds like hell to me - I keep the house at 60* or below, one sheet, one comforter and no pj's - and even then I get too warm. :eek:

ugh - warm at night? Sounds like hell to me - I keep the house at 60* or below, one sheet, one comforter and no pj's - and even then I get too warm. :eek:

Come to Port Huron, we can fix that.

When it's always dark outside and temperature has only approached freezing for the last six weeks, warm and sleep are a very nice combination.

I never have that problem when I'm in the Carolina's though:D

My Jack Russell would come in from doing dog business and stand over the warm air register.

I had an older cat that would swear the electric blanket was her little piece of heaven. She wouldn't budge from the bed at night. During the day, she took to sleeping underneath the wood stove. Her fur got so hot I was worried she would spontaneously combust!

-Skip

They are awfully nice this time of year.

They can cause issues, though. When I was a freshman in high school, I was cutting some stuff out of the newspaper while sitting on my bed late at night, on top of the blanket. I managed to fall asleep, and since I was on top of the blanket it got hot enough to start the newspaper clippings on fire. I woke up to my bedroom full of acrid smoke and the blanket sparking beneath me since the fabric and most of the wire insulation had burned away. I tried to open a window but I was just about to the point of passing out from lack of oxygen, so I ran out of my room and upstairs, yelling. My dad ran downstairs, grabbed my whole mattress and everything on it, dragged it into the garage and threw it outside.

And that's when I got...

...A water bed. (I don't think there is such a thing as an unheated water bed, as room-temp water would be way too cold to sleep on without a ton of blankets beneath you!) That was awfully nice too... But I had some heater issues with that too. It did last for quite a while.

Both are nice, but airplanes are better. :yes:

Yeah, but the only thing a water bed is good for is to sleep in.:rolleyes2:

Greatest invention ever of all time?

Hydrogen.

I can't resist.

I still have the a/c on. But tomorrow I just might have to run the heat for the first time in 2 years. Supposed to get down to maybe 50 tomorrow night.

But I did have an electric blanket as a kid - they are quite wonderful, and I'd get another one except I don't think they sell them down here. I do have an oversized heating pad - might have to pre-heat the bed with that tomorrow night if it really gets that cold.

I can't resist.

I still have the a/c on. But tomorrow I just might have to run the heat for the first time in 2 years. Supposed to get down to maybe 50 tomorrow night.

But I did have an electric blanket as a kid - they are quite wonderful, and I'd get another one except I don't think they sell them down here. I do have an oversized heating pad - might have to pre-heat the bed with that tomorrow night if it really gets that cold.
79F where I am today. 50 huh? Step-dad is a little north of you (Tampa area) he is getting into the 30's tonight.

BTW I heard from the SO that last night the cats enjoyed the electric blanket a lot.

C'mon. One proton, one electron, like that was hard!!! ;)

Smoosh it and you get helium. Keep smooshing and you get lots of other stuff when it all goes kablooey. Smoosh the debris together and you get rocks and stuff and eventually us. No hydrogen = no us. Think about it.

I've always kind of assumed it was sliced bread.

Sliced bread is just the benchmark ....

Talk about embarrassing... We're over 50 posts into the greatest invention ever and nobody's mentioned beer. As Benjamin Franklin says "Beer is God's way of saying he loves us and wants us to be happy."

Wes

79F where I am today. 50 huh? Step-dad is a little north of you (Tampa area) he is getting into the 30's tonight.

BTW I heard from the SO that last night the cats enjoyed the electric blanket a lot.

Supposed to be in the low to mid 60s where I'll be this weekend. Sunny, too. I'm looking forward to it.

Then, summer next month! :smile: At least, for a week.

All the way up to +45*F here today. A full 70* warmer than this time last week. It's about 90* warmer in Fairbanks today than it has been the past few weeks. With that temp today, it is officially warmer than it was on the 4th of July this past year!

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Breast implants are the best invention ever. Man fixing God's oversights!

Last edited:
Back