Tesla Pickup Unveil

Sure. It depends entirely on how many miles you tend to drive each day.

12,000 mi/yr is less than 33 miles per day. That can easily be handled with Level 1 charging. Those who drive significantly more will definitely need Level 2 at home to avoid inconvenient charging stops.

I have the Tesla Wall Connector which charges at 48A/240V. I don't need it, but its price dropped to $350, for a short time, a while back. Couldn't pass that up. I don't need anywhere near that speed, though. It does look really nice on the wall of my garage.
Don't forget that a big truck is going to need more juice. The difference in power usage between my model 3 and my mach-e is shocking. It's at least a 25% difference for the same commute. And his truck is going to be a whole lot worse.

You think GM would include a fancy cable that could actually use my 20A garage circuits? At least they included the 14-50 so once that's installed I can use it.
Did you check and see if one is available to order? Tesla has a set of plug adapters for various outlets. The magic box on the charging cable detects the plug and sets rate accordingly.

The 20A plug is handy to have for travel. One more option in the toolbox in a pinch.

I added a 240V 50A circuit with a 6-50 outlet to my garage. Cost was about $250 in materials. Labor was DIY. I get 25mph charging rate, which is fast enough to fully charge overnight under all circumstances.

PXL_20240717_211924172.jpg

Last edited:
Back